We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Day n North/Middle - yes, we saw the Flamingos! Really!

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
A Day n North/Middle - yes, we saw the Flamingos! Really!

Booked thru Turks and Caicos Reservations: $100. for ferry ride and $100. guided tour for the 2 of us. This was our first trip to North/Middle, glad we had a guide. Charles met us at the ferry (we went over on the 9:30 ferry) and after he took care of a couple of car rentals...he owns Superior Car Rentals....we were on our way. We stopped at 3 Mary Cays, Horsestable Beach, Cottage Pond, Flamingo Pond, Pumpkin Bluff, Mudgin Harbor and Dragon Cay and Bambarra Beach. Charles also pointed out places of interest in Whitby, Kew,....we stopped at the caves....

Flamingos: saw flamingos at Pumpkin Bluff Pond .....they were on the far side so all we could see was pink dots on the water!! Charles said yesterday they were closer!! Also saw them at Flamingo Pond - go figure! But again, at a distance. Closest we saw was as we drove down the road....on our return trip to. Sandy Point... saw one by itself and it was showing off a little!

Mudgin Harbor/Dragon Cay: I could have stayed there all day......waves were crashing, and we were hesitant to walk to the Dragon, although others did and some were snorkeling the area. Walking down the path from the praying hands, waves were really crashing big here...Totally mesmerizing. So beautiful.....

Lunch at Mudgin Harbor Grill: grilled snapper and salad which was wonderful. Dr. G served some great drinks and Patrice took great care of us. Views were outstanding.

On to the Conch Bar Caves....not on my have to list, but DH was interested. However, after we arrived, there were no flashlights available, so after a quick walk to the....Skylight Chamber....it was on to Bambarra Beach....and I was relieved!! More beach, less cave!!

We thoroughly enjoyed our day with Charles. He is a local, from Middle Caicos, and so knowledgeable...he pointed out many places of interest on the villages of Whitby, Kew....and others. Although I assumed we would hit Daniel's and the Barracuda Bar, we didn't make it. We had scheduled the 4:00 ferry for the return. I would encourage anyone interested in exploring to consider this excursion, especially for the first trip. I think Charles has a pretty "planned tour" but you could let him know if there are places you are more interested in and those you prefer to skip. We enjoyed the history and information he shared. When we return, we will rent a car from Charles at Superior and focus our time on Mudgin/Dragon Cay.

Thanks for the responses on what to take and suggestions...for us, glad we did not take snorkel gear...too rough and too rushed...we took water shoes but flip flops were sufficient...wish we had made time for a few other stops. Next time!!

Another great day in TCI. Down to the last four full days....it's nothing but beach time from here on out!!!

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,996 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Day n North/Middle - yes, we saw the Flamingos! Really!

Sounds great Lola! Someday I will give you the Joebwan tour if you are interested.

Enjoy the rest of your beach days.

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
759 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Day n North/Middle - yes, we saw the Flamingos! Really!

Awesome! So glad to hear.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A Day n North/Middle - yes, we saw the Flamingos! Really!

Thanks Lola for the great wrap-up on your tour. That sounds like a really good way to experience it for the first time. Might have to give it a go on the next trip.

Enjoy your beach days!! :-)

Mullica Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Day n North/Middle - yes, we saw the Flamingos! Really!

Making me homesick!

Aren't wild pink flamingos so exciting? Like seeing a Unicorn!

Stop the TCI dolphinariums, I support freedom for dolphins 🐬

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Day n North/Middle - yes, we saw the Flamingos! Really!

Joebwan - we would love your tour!!! Thanks for the offer and hope for the opportunity to take you up on that.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
10,971 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: A Day n North/Middle - yes, we saw the Flamingos! Really!

I am very happy you got to experience the Daytripper with your Island guide--Charles. You'd seen a lot considering the time frame within the 5 land hours you had to see/explore the twins. Having a guide does make a difference. Flamingos are the coolest Island birds to see. DR. JIM

7. Re: A Day n North/Middle - yes, we saw the Flamingos! Really!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 06:16