We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tag along dive boat to snorkel

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
136 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Tag along dive boat to snorkel

My husband and I are going to be in GT for two weeks. He dives and I snorkel. I had reserved with a dive shop close to Ospreys where we will stay and they told me that I could not go on the dive boat with them to snorkel . Was able to do this in Bonaire and in Roatan. They say that there will be no one left to attend to a snorkeler. Does anyone know of a dive operator that allows snorkeler on the dive boat with them?

Second question, are there snorkel boat tours that leave after 1pm? We were thinking if I cannot go on the dive boat then after my husband comes back we can go on some afternoon snorkel boat tours?

Last question, so is there really no good snorkeling near Ospreys or anywhere close to beach? I had picked Ospreys because of proximity to town and restaurants and was told it was the nicest. But will switch if I can find one with good beach snorkeling.

So many questions! Appreciate tips from the GT experts, thanks have a great Super Bowl everyone !!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tag along dive boat to snorkel

Are they afraid you might take off with their nice boat? Liability exposure? What happens when that rope breaks/snaps it's connection to the anchor? I would check around for someone to accommodate you. DR. JIM

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tag along dive boat to snorkel

Who did you book with? There are several dive/ snorkel companies on GT. Maybe call the others to see if they can accommodate you.

Best snorkelling is by boat. I did see several people off shore snorkelling at Pillory Beach when we there. Just not sure how much marine life they were seeing though.

Be sure to go to Gibbs Cay while you're on GT. Beautiful little cay where you can snorkel and see the sting rays!

Smithtown
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tag along dive boat to snorkel

There are 4 outfits that dive on GT. Blue Water, Grand Turk Diving, Oasis (who does the ships tours but also has land based divers) and Bohio.

Inshore snorkeling is mainly iron shore and turtle grass. Best shore snorkeling in my opinion is off English Point (off the West end of the airport runway) and some spots off the Turks Head. Best snorkeling overall is done off a boat. While the wall is close by boat, it's a far swim from shore. The best snorkeling spots are not necessarily the best diving spots and vice versa . The under water layout is different than Bonaire or Roatan. We have most of the corals in deeper water and a Wall that starts at 18 to 35 feet and goes down to 7000 feet.

All the above shops have dedicated dive and dedicated snorkel boats. It's a short boat ride anywhere as GT is only about 7 miles long. You might consider splitting up for your water sports. You might be apart for 2 to 4 hours at the most but you could snorkel in a group and your husband can meet you later. There would be snorkel boat tours anytime there is a cruise ship in port. Look at http://www.grandturkcc.com/Port-Schedule.aspx for the ship schedules.

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tag along dive boat to snorkel

Crystal Seas Adventures also operates dives and are very accommodating.

contact Dan or Jasmine. you'll probably get a dive, snorkel and a trip out to say, Gibbs Cay all in one trip!

http://grandturk.crystalseasadventures.com/

Toronto
Level Contributor
555 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tag along dive boat to snorkel

We never saw anyone mixed snorkeling/dive boats. It's either one or the other. There is only one dive master so once he goes down you would be left on your own. Osprey is a great location for being in the centre of town. As for beach snorkeling, not on this island. Before we got certified we went on a mixed dive/snorkel boat in both Barbados and St Lucia.

Not to be rude but why not learn to dive? My wife was terrified of the water and it took a lot of courage to learn to dive and now we dive as a family.

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tag along dive boat to snorkel

We have had snorkelers come along on a dive with Dive Provo before - the DM took us down and the boat skipper kept an eye on the snorkelers as well as looking after the boat and acting as back up.

Doesn't help you with GT I know but just to say I have seen it. :)

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
136 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tag along dive boat to snorkel

We were looking at either blue water Dive or Grand Turk dive. Anyway thanks for all your responses, I get the picture now. GT dive responded that if the dive site that day is ok to snorkel , that they would take me but like was mentioned above, GT said I would be on my own since everyone will dive and no one left on boat.

No offense taken, I tried to dive twice and both times had terrible problems equalizing my ears and on second dive was in really bad pain for many many hours, traumatic for me. There are other physical issues on top of that, so I just can't even if I wanted to.

Wel will probably split the water activities to be safe, knowing my husband he will refuse to take me on a dive boat where I will be alone for almost an hour while everyone is 70-80 feet below and no one I can call for help in case pirates and monsters show up. Thanks everyone, appreciate all the great tips.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,025 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tag along dive boat to snorkel

You are unlikely to find Pirates or Monsters around Grand Turk these days. What you might see are the majestic humpback whales depending on when you are traveling. Right now is the prime season for them and they stick around thru March. Try to go out on an afternoon whale watch with Oasis Dive on GT(preferably on a non cruise ship day) from their in town location. Another idea is to go over to Salt Cay for a day or even overnight. It is very close to GT and has very good shore snorkeling. Also it is not at all unusual to see the whales from shore on Salt Cay. If you have 2 wks on Grand Turk it would be a nice way to break it up. Just pack an overnight bag and some snorkel gear. Very different island (much smaller) with 3 restaurants/bars and a fun "vibe". Your Husband could book a dive with Salt Cay divers and you could ask to ride along. I used to only snorkel before being certified to dive. I did go out a couple of times on dive boats and only snorkeled (St Vincent, Barbados come to mind). I think the dive companies err on the side of caution with only one snorkel guest in the open ocean they are thinking of safety I am sure. One thing you may not know if you haven't been...when I dove with Oasis on GT our dive intervals are actually on shore so your husband will not be gone as long as he may have been in other dive locations, where you lv the dock, have a significant "ride out" one tank dive, rest interval, move to another dive site and repeat...the typical dive location on Grand Turk can be 10-15 min from shore! It was nice being able to run back in, walk around a bit have a cool drink and snak and run back out for the second dive. Enjoy your Holiday.

Toronto
Level Contributor
555 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tag along dive boat to snorkel

On Salt Cay you'll have the same issues on dives, she will be alone on the surface. You need boats with either 2 DM's or a DM and boat captain. I've seen neither on GT or SC. That being said Salt Cay is a must do.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,025 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tag along dive boat to snorkel

Agreed. I said "ride along" in my post above thinking that the boats are usually likely to have no more than a couple of divers, didn't mean to imply snorkel. Just a scenic boat ride and maybe whale sighting. Of course Salt Cay offers superior shore snorkeling and a "Couples Day" there is a lot of fun. Maybe rent a cart, take a small collapsible cooler along and snorkel gear. Go up to the North End beach where it's likely you will be the only ones, other than a cow or donkey! Enjoy a sunset cocktail at the Coral Reef and a great dinner at Island Thyme...picturing that day in our near future. Mid March.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Turk
Recent Conversations