We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BAggage- who has more room

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
136 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
BAggage- who has more room

I forgot to ask this in my earlier post today.

We typically take 4 suitcases ( I know it is a lot) because 1.5 of it is for dive, snorkel, camera etc gear. I know we will probably pay excess baggage.

The question is - which one - Caicos Express or Air Turks and Caicos - will be sure to accommodate our baggage? I just dont want to get there and be told we have too much and it cannot get on the plane. Thanks!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: BAggage- who has more room

Both inter-island airlines have several flights a day to Grand Turk. Your luggage will be accommodated. DR. JIM

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BAggage- who has more room

Air Turks and Caicos bigger planes. Actually have isles

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BAggage- who has more room

Still neither airline will fly "overweight" nor would any of us want them to. I have been on with a film crew. They needed to verify weight of passengers and all luggage. I was very happy they did. Some of the luggage had to remain behind to follow on the next flight. Not sure if it was same day or not. Caicos Express allowed us 50 lbs and then charge .85 per lb if they have room/weight allowance for more. We are making every effort to stay at the 50 lbs...may decide to rent dive gear this trip and only bring snorkel gear. Each trip we take less in the way of clothes and just plan to do a load of laundry or two mid trip. Don't need much on Grand Turk or Salt Cay anyway!

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
136 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BAggage- who has more room

Thanks everyone, will definitely try and take less.

Toronto
Level Contributor
555 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BAggage- who has more room

We've taken 4 bags via CE in the last 2 years. Always got all our bags. Quite surprised too, our first trip to SC had a lot of luggage. I saw all the SLX tags and thought oh no... But I believe only 1 bag got left behind and I think they got it on the second flight (there were 2 SLX flights at 4pm that day).

We met a couple we had dived with in Grand Turk at the same time in PLS on our way home. One of their bags was left in Grand Turk. They used Air T&C.

We paid $50 on the way to GND, and $16 on the way to PLS. We took down all our meat and lots of chocolate, tea, coffee, jams, pancake batter.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BAggage- who has more room

Mikey, you took all of your meat etc to Salt Cay? We go next month and I'm trying to decide how much to take along. We'll be at Vista with a full kitchen. Planning to have coffee and breakfast at home. Cocktails, beer and some snacks on the deck. Then dinner out. Wondering if I'll wish I had brought more provisions. Debbie is pre stocking beer, water and bread so far. Thinking of making a grocery stop on Provo?

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
136 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BAggage- who has more room

Thanks very much, I think the schedule of flights means we will take CE.

Toronto
Level Contributor
555 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BAggage- who has more room

We take all of our own meat wherever we go. Make sure Debbie gets you some of netties bread. We never did the grocery Provo run. We always spent our layover time in Hole in the Wall eating good jerk. My wife didn't want to go this time so we sat in Gilleys and by the time we got the menu, looked over it and found the choices lacking..., I said "you want to go?" We found a willing cabbie and a few mins later we were seated outside with a Turks head beer in hand and food on the way.

obxpat-how long are you staying? We did 8 days and it was nice to to mix up Coral Reef (more of a beach bar), Porters (5* SC dining) and food at home. Never once found selections lacking. Even grocery shopping on SC is a must do (just to say you did it!), that UK made Cadbury chocolate bar was pure gold!

[edit] Coral Reef has killer margaritas!

Edited: 04 February 2014, 14:45
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BAggage- who has more room

Thanks. Yes we have nettie's bread "on the list" for stocking. Was there just one kind? We are working on no carbs at home so will be ready for a loaf or 3! I spent only a couple of hours on Salt Cay several years ago and can't wait to get back. So few flights to TCI from S Florida. The only one I could get gave us less than an hour to connect in Provo to SC so we are overnighting there. I didn't want to stress out about AA being on time, customs going smoothly and actually making the only flight to SC for 2 days!! So we will hedge our bets and spend a Tues night on Provo. That gives us the next morning in Provo so I'm thinking we'll pick up some fruit, veggies and perishables. We will be on Salt Cay at least 7 nights...still trying to decide whether to stay 2 more or go over to Grand Turk. My Husband has not been to TCI at all yet so it might be a good way for him to exp it and also dive the wall there...I KNOW we won't want to leave Salt Cay no matter how long we stay. Now I'm just hoping for calm winds so we can be out on the water. We are sort of thinking about dinner out at night unless we catch some fresh fish to cook in...or are too content to move off of the deck! Maybe I should add some meat. Thanks for the info and the margarita tip

Toronto
Level Contributor
555 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BAggage- who has more room

Only one kind of netties bread. Personally I would stay on SC, mainly as packing is a pain in the *ss with checkout & checkin times of 10am and 2pm (or later!). Last year we spent 8 days SC and 7 Provo. This year 15 days on GT.

That being said you might be ready for a change and it does make a vacation `last` longer. We found the reefs on SC less beat up than those on GT, its simple numbers. There is a lot more diving going on on GT and add pod divers.... :(

have fun!

PS take extra Bambarra, I swear they under-fill those bottles!!!

Get answers to your questions about Grand Turk
Recent Conversations