We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Turk

Ontario Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Turk

Looking to go to Grand Turk in late January 2015 for my hubby's 50th birthday...

How expensive is it to eat in restaurants in Grand Turk? Not looking for white tie type dinners, just good food and drinks. Would we be better off buying groceries for dinner and snack items and then eating lunch and dinner out?

Weather in late January?

Inter island transfer from Provo to Grand Turk - cost per person?

Locals friendly?

Any recommendations for a place to stay? Private accomodations would also help too.

Thanks

Michele

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Turk

Hi! We spent 5 nights on GT a few months ago and loved it! However, it's not for everyone. Be sure to do your research so that you know it's the right island for you. Most people prefer Provo ( Grace Bay) which is a lot more developed. GT is a small sleepy island with friendly locals and expats.

No worries about white tie on GT......more like shorts and flip flops are in order!

If you're looking for a hotel experience, check out The Osprey Hotel. A couple of other options are Manta House and The Bohio.

If looking for more of a cottage look on VRBO - #486395 or # 484410. Both are on Pillory Beach and very close to the Bohio Resort.

There's not a lot of grocery shopping on GT. I would suggest that you stock up on Provo at the IGA if you can swing it.

Not a lot of dining choices. My picks would be the Sand Bar ( very casual, right on the beach- great grouper sandwiches!), the restaurant at the Bohio and the Salt Raker. The Osprey also has a d/r but we never ate there. Prices really depend on what you order. Anywhere from $15.00 to $40.00.

We prefer to eat our breakfasts and most lunches on our patio, and dine out for dinner.

We flew to GT via Caicos Express from Provo. I think it's around $150.00 return, but not sure.

If you go in January, it's perfect whale watching season! Be sure to book an excursion! Also, look into booking an excursion to Gibbs Cay to see the sting rays in their natural habitat.

Enjoy!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Turk

Maca81 summed it up best. I've been to Grand Turk 3 times and have made 2 friends that I keep in contact with. Even the locals travel over to Provo for a lot. Grand Turk IS exactly how Maca described it. A sleepy town. When the cruise ships arrive it doubles the population of the Island just to give you an idea of how small the place is If you want to relax this is the place to be. 2 of the 3 times I went to Grand Turk on a cruise stop. Overall the one day 7 hour stop was ALMOST enough. I would have liked to stay a little longer. The snorkeling was one of the BEST snorkeling EVER! Thank you Maca81, we're headed in a large group to Grand Turk first week in January 2015 and it will be GREAT to whale watch! So excited.

CT
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Turk

Lowbux, just curious where you did snorkeling in GT and which company you used...I'm going down mid April on a cruise and am debating between the 3 snorkeling companies (blue water, Crystal seas, or grand Turk diving)...any info would be greatly appreciated

CT
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Turk

Lowbux, just curious where you did snorkeling in GT and which company you used...I'm going down mid April on a cruise and am debating between the 3 snorkeling companies (blue water, Crystal seas, or grand Turk diving)...any info would be greatly appreciated

5. Re: Grand Turk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 22:35
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,571 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Turk

Also for places to stay, along with the excellent Osprey, check out:

Crabtree Apartments (single story by the way, not apartments like you would imagine), terrific accommodations walking distance to town.

Or White Sands Townhouses, really nice for the money, next to the cruise port

It's a tiny island, many get around with golf carts or bikes.

Air from Provo is $170-$190 pp depending how some you buy them (advance purchase saves a little bit) but prices don't change much during the year, I've been known to buy my tickets the same morning I decide to go. There are flights all day.

Restaurants are all casual, and really good. Restaurant at Bohio Resort is quite excellent actually. Sandbar is casual and good with a deck over the water, osprey has a nice restaurant, and Sand Racker Inn has an excellent restaurant.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Turk

Just returned from Grand Turk. My second trip. We only stayed 2 nights as we had been on Salt Cay nearby for a week. My Husband wished we had stayed at least 4 nights! We enjoy the Sandbar, Osprey, Bohio, Barbie's and my new find John's on the beach. Next trip we'll rent a place with a kitchen, likely Crabtree. I like to sit on the deck mornings with coffee and a light breakfast, dive in the am and then go to lunch out. Rent a golf cart and explore a bit in the afternoons. By Sundown it's nice to prepare dinner at home a few evenings and saves $$ as well. We found the grocery stores on Grand Turk well stocked. If you stay a wk or more bring some meat and cheese items from home (frozen) , a few staples and supplement with food on island. Plenty avail at the Dominican Market, Cee's or the other grocery (name escapes me). Also a Liquor Store on island. We used both Caicos Express and Air Turks and Caicos (Inter Caribbean). Both were good but the larger plane with Inter Caribbean was more comfortable imo. Our return GT to Provo was only $40 pp! We have used both Oasis and GT Diving with great pleasure. A whale watch with Crystal Seas was great and I am sure their trips snorkeling are as well....terrific operation and friendly hosts!

WEST ROAD,GRAND...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Turk

Have you try the Fresh Fish/plantains at John's? John's Ocean View Grill/Bar on West Road Beach, Grand Turk. welcomes ALL Cruisers/Tourists.

On Thursday 17th April, 2014 there will be a Hap-p-y Hour at 1 p-m.. 2 for 5 for Local Beer, also Rum Punch 10"" cups for $3. Don't miss it. .Easter Buns will be given out with Cheese. Yearly discounts for all crew members. Code Aunty .

Edited: 15 April 2014, 01:37
WEST ROAD,GRAND...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Turk

Good Morning Cruisers,John's on West Road Beach,GRAND TURK welcomes 2 cruise ships today to the Nation's Capital where the Islanders are nice and polite.It's all going down today at John's. Happy Hour at 1pm. See you there.Peace and Love. Aunty.

WEST ROAD,GRAND...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Turk

Aunty thanks the cruisers for visiting John's Ocean View Bar/Grill in Grand Turk. She says she will continue to serve the cheapest fresh fry fish ($5)with local beer($3). She loves all cruisers and she welcomes them with a smile.Today she sends out a shout to her (second love) New York,DC,Washington,South Carolina,Boston,Colorado and all who visited John's today. Next time you in the house just say AUNTY and happy hour will be on. Aunty also loves the Spanish cruisers, as Spanish is her 2nd language. She greets all and her love to speak to all cruisers are #1 and she knows that making you happy,makes her happy. Love and Peace to Ruby Princess crew (Who loves Aunty) . You will be missed and Good Afternoon to Carnival Glory and her friend Doc. See you soon. Love Aunty.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Turk
Recent Conversations