We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Global Entry make a difference?

New York
Level Contributor
860 posts
10 reviews
Global Entry make a difference?

Does having Global Entry make a difference when you're flying in and out of Provo (we're from New York). Thanks!

22 replies to this topic
Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos, Grace Bay, Grand Turk
Level Contributor
12,403 posts
1 review
1. Re: Global Entry make a difference?

No. Dr. Jim

Edited: 20 October 2017, 04:51
Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,403 posts
1 review
2. Re: Global Entry make a difference?

Global Entry will help you immensely with your New York Airport though upon return. Dr. Jim

New York
Level Contributor
860 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Global Entry make a difference?

Thanks. Do you know if pre-check will also help upon returning to New York?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,684 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Global Entry make a difference?

Pre-check only helps when clearing TSA upon leaving the US. No help when departing Provo as their security is not run by TSA. Pre-check does not offer any advantage when returning to any US airport unless you are connecting to another flight (since you have to go through TSA after clearing Immigration & Customs..

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,403 posts
1 review
5. Re: Global Entry make a difference?

How many times have you stood in line at the New York airport watching others breeze through security with no hassle? By enrolling in TSA Pre✓® , you too can breeze through security. Keep your shoes, jacket and belt on; your laptop in its case; 3-1-1 compliant liquids in your bag; and enjoy a better overall travel experience. TSA Pre✓® allows low-risk travelers to experience faster, more efficient screening at any participating U.S. airport checkpoints for domestic and international travel. If you’re eligible and approved for the TSA Pre✓® program, you will be given a Known Traveler Number “KTN” to use when making flight reservations. KTNs can also be saved in an airline or travel agency profile. Participating airlines will print a TSA Pre✓® indicator on your boarding pass. When you arrive at the New York airport, look for signs for the TSA Pre✓® lanes and present your boarding pass and Government-issued ID to the Travel Document Checker. Children ages 12 and under may join you in the TSA Pre✓® lane. Dr. VIcki & I have 2 daughters under age 12. Now, Global Entry gives you the keys to Pre-check plus expedited screening at Customs and Border Protection checkpoints when entering the U.S. If you travel internationally 2-3 times a year, Global Entry is the way to go. Dr. Jim

Edited: 20 October 2017, 05:54
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
16,079 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Global Entry make a difference?

How often do you fly?

I fly enough that it’s awesome. Usually with connections

If flying just once a year might not be worth it

Global entry is totally worth it. I’ve been stuck in Miami before for hours at customs. Once it took me 4 1/2 hours, I said never again!

Troy, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Global Entry make a difference?

Where in NY are you? I found if you apply for NEXUS (border towns between USA and CANADA), Global Entry AND TSA precheck come free. AND, NEXUS is only $50. So for 1/2 price, you get all three. Kids under 18 are free. So for $100 total, we got Global Entry for all 4 of us which is good for 5 years. We love it.

Raleigh, NC
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales, Grace Bay
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
302 reviews
8. Re: Global Entry make a difference?

OH BLAMONA! Say it ain't so. 4 hours in MIA to clear customs & immigration. And guess where THG is coming through this trip. Good thing we have a 5 hour layover. Praying we don't need it.

We have TSA Pre-Check and love it. We don't fly outside the US enough to go Global Entry, for now.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
16,079 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Global Entry make a difference?

Happened to me I think there was a computer glitch? It was in October 2 years ago and it was a nightmare! (I didn't even have checked bags)

And happened to my husband in Miami last January (2016) coming back, power failure, people passing out from heat, passing out water bottles (at customer service tried) but a few TSA agents quit. That took close to 4 hours

After those 2 incidents, I'm applying for Global and precheck now

Level Contributor
568 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Global Entry make a difference?

For New York, and many other airports, Mobile Pass gives you almost the same privileges as Global Entry. Download the app to your phone. Before you land, or when you land, complete the electronic immigration and customs forms. At JFK you go through the same immigration lines as Mobile Pass. Your receipt is a QR code that you or the agent scans. Same with customs. You go through the same line as global entry.

It's an awesome tool and it's free and instant.

Reply to: Global Entry make a difference?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted