We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping @ upscale resorts

Level Contributor
351 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
tipping @ upscale resorts

I never seem to get it right. Whats the best way to handle tipping the staff at the beach resorts? Every day when they set up the chairs for you? A $5 or a $10 for a family of 4?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping @ upscale resorts

Just so you know, and not trying to sound cheap, you're already paying a 10% service charge on your room. It's supposed to be divided equally among the staff.

Everywhere we've stayed on Provo (T&C Club, OCW, RWI and Coral Gardens), the chairs were already set up before anyone came down to the beach. I have stayed at resorts where individual set-ups were done, and tipped around ten bucks.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping @ upscale resorts

i gotta say 10% divided between all staff members really isn't gonna be much in the way of a tip...

we always tip like that 10% isn't a part of anything...i like putting the dollars strait into the housekeepers hands and giving her a smile with it...

but the only time i remember tipping the beach guys is when we had to ask him to bring out more chairs and umbrella for us...

at ocw the beach is always set up very early in the morning and we never have to play the chair game...one time all the chairs were taken and we just asked the beach guy if there was more and he set us strait up with chairs and umbrella and table so we slipped him a fin...

i would say tips for the beach guys are your call...they will be appreciated for sure...

have a great time...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping @ upscale resorts

When I wrote the reply, I was afraid that it might be read as, "You already tip 10%, so keep your dollars to yourself." I didn't mean that at all.

The only reason I mentioned it is because many people just aren't aware they're paying it -- they think it's some sort of tax.

Justlaura is right, we always tip extra for housekeeping and anyone else who goes above and beyond, just as we would at any other resort hotel.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping @ upscale resorts

The question is "Tipping at Upscale Resorts". If you are paying between $700 to $3000+ per night for your suite the 10% service charge IS substancial.

What the resort does with this money is unregulated but it is supposed to be divided up among management and staff making additional tipping unecessary.

If someone does indeed go beyond the normal to make your stay more enjoyable and you feel compelled to be generous then be certain to place the gratituity directly into their hand. Do not leave money in your room.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping @ upscale resorts

10% of $3000 is $300...split that between how many staff? i'm sure it could be easily 30 staff at least at a resort which would give them all $10 each per day from each unit? including managers? why managers get tips is beyond me...the salary made by a manager should be more than adequate and he/she shouldn't be getting a take on the tips for service people...housekeepers, gardeners, pool guys, beach guys, bartendars, wait staff, who else...so many...

and our resort is no where near $3000 per night...how about $300 so the 10% is only $30 divided amongst the say 30 people and now they are only getting $1 extra per day...

the way it is stated by wherewhenhow is a little concerning for me as well...

"What the resort does with this money is UNREGULATED but it is SUPPOSED to be divided up among management and staff making additional tipping unecessary"

i'll continue to tip...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping @ upscale resorts

You know, since this is the second time we've had this discussion in the past couple of months, I'm gonna ask the owner at T&C Club how they handle it, and what she knows about other resorts, when I see her in June.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
200 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping @ upscale resorts

We just returned from a stay at the Somerset. The tipping business is confusing. When the beach got busy, it was helpful to go and give the guy $5 to set up 4 chairs and two umbrellas. Saw that many people did not tip. Beach guys very pleased to get anything. Some people obviously made prior arrangements as some chairs were set up in nicer close to water edge locations very early in the morning. Must have given better tips. I hate to get into competition for beach chairs. That 10% is so confusing. Please find out what it really means.

Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping @ upscale resorts

CaribDesi... What did you find out about tipping at TCC in June?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping @ upscale resorts

pls4me:

I found out that it's more complicated than I had imagined.

The law requires that a minimum of 60% of the 10% collected be distributed among the employees, however the resort sees fit (not necessarily equally). Therefore, a maximum of 40% of the 10% may go to the resort.

Now, here's where it gets complicated. Provo has a very tight labor market, and good employees are hard to find and retain. Therefore, a resort may choose to distribute 100% of the collection to the employees, with extra % going to staff that are difficult to recruit and retain.

It's kind of like the U.S. government having a minimum wage, but labor supply and demand driving average salaries well above it.

So, I guess to answer the most common question, the money is not necessarily divided equally among every employee. Some may or may not receive more than others. It's up to the resort and labor market forces.

10. Re: tipping @ upscale resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 04:17