We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route/airline from Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami

LOL, FL
Level Contributor
331 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Best route/airline from Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami

Going to Club Med in mid-July. Other than best price, any airline much better or worse from Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami? AA, SW, Jet Blue?

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,211 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route/airline from Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami

We fly AA. So far from pittsburgh its been the best prices of all above mentioned. We have been flying through MIA and that gets us to Provo at 12:30 pm. My AA tickets for Provo from Pitt in June cheaper than Jet Blue.

NH
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route/airline from Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami

Have you made your CM reservation, yet? ...A couple of things to consider: If you have CM make your flight arrangements, if you arrive at the resort before the 3PM check-in you will have early check-in privileges.

If you have not made your CM reservations yet, you might want to considered waiting until CM has a sale that offers a discount on the air portion of the package.

I've booked my CM packages every way you can imagine in my 16+ stays. Unless I am traveling on air mile (free tickets) it's usually as good a deal (if not a better deal) to have CM include flights in the package.

There are some additional advantages to buying the complete packages, also. ~~~allfins ><>

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route/airline from Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami

I think that each airline is going to have pluses and minuses and fans and detractors.

Price and schedule usually are the biggest factors, unless you have elite status on an airline. I think you can fly nonstop on any of those airlines - Jetblue and Southwest from FLL and Ameican from MIA - and all would require connecting from TPA. So, airport preference comes into play too. I have not used FLL yet, but MIA is a very large airport, and some people hate having to deal with Miami airport. I used to be one of them, but I have used MIA a lot over the past several years, and it usually has been fine. Having Global Entry and PreCheck and sometimes lounge access makes MIA a better experience.

Other differences (partially related to cost and comparing apples to apples):

- Baggage: On Southwest, everyone gets free checked bags (two I think). On JetBlue or AA, you need to have elite status, credit card benefits, or purchase certain fares to get free checked bags.

- Seat Assignment: Southwest does not give advance seat assignments. There is a boarding order assigned based on status, purchasing "early boarding", and order of check-in. People board in order and can choose any open seat. JetBlue and American have traditional seat selection available when you book, although AA tends to have a lot of seats that have additional charges to select in advance if you do not have status.

- In-flight amenities/comfort: A lot of people think that JetBlue offers a superior in-flight experience in economy class, with free wifi (which I don't think works over open water), better free snacks, and more legroom. OTOH, AA has a business/first class cabin on its flights, while JetBlue and Southwest do not.

Bottom line for me would be to choose based on price, schedule and preferred airport in Florida, since it is under a two hour flight from MIA or FLL.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos, Grace Bay, Grand Turk
Level Contributor
12,403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route/airline from Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami

Jet Blue~~Fort Lauderdale. Dr. Jim

Edited: 20 January 2018, 23:40
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route/airline from Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami

Dr Jim for the win as usual. Fort Lauderdale to Provo via Jet Blue. We just got back home (yesterday). Easy flights in and out. FLL airport will take you less than an hour to get through security. Nice Embraer 190 with 2 seats on either side - so no weird middle seat. The usual Jet Blue perks of unlimited snacks and TV etc. Flight out of Provo was easy breezy. Jet Blue was the ONLY airline that didn't have a line a mile long - and I am not even kidding. We were the second people in line for Jet Blue. American and Delta and SW mustve each had 200 people in line (EACH) - it was pure madness. Jet Blue for the win! Oh and FLL airport has dramatically improved incoming international flights. We were in and out of customs in minutes and on our way home.

Reply to: Best route/airline from Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted