We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shipwrecks accessible without jet ski?

Lebanon...
Level Contributor
37 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
shipwrecks accessible without jet ski?

Wondering if there's any shipwrecks that are accessible without having to do a guided tour?

I can't seem to justify shelling out the $$ for what these companies are wanting simply for an hour or two on a jet ski to visit La Famille Express.

I saw a few on Google on Provo but not sure if they're worth the drive.

Any info would be appreciated!

8 replies to this topic
Raleigh, NC
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales, Grace Bay
Level Contributor
3,345 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shipwrecks accessible without jet ski?

Not sure if you are asking about shipwreck you want to dive down to.

There is a shipwreck 2 miles out in Long Bay Beach, but it's above water. Everyone I talk to says you do have to use a jet ski to get there. I walked out 1 1/2 miles and the water was only up to my chest.

I guess you could kayak to it, but you'd have to rent one.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shipwrecks accessible without jet ski?

The ship offshore from Long Bay Beach is the La Famille Express mentioned by the OP. Definitely kayak-able for confident paddlers, given the right wind and sea conditions.

The only other "wrecks" I'm aware of around Provo are small tug/fishing boats - the one that's capsized just south of Sapodilla Bay, and those that are beached between South Dock and Five Cays.

Troy, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shipwrecks accessible without jet ski?

My favorite part of boating by the La Famille Express was the expression painted on it "Safety First". Other than that, it was underwhelming.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shipwrecks accessible without jet ski?

IMO, I would not navigate the waters without a guide if you are not familiar with the areas. Sandbars, and wrecks that are underwater. Someone once told me a story of being in a speed boat not knowin a plane in the water and ruined their boat.

Sun and Fun charges by the ski and is the cheapest of all outfits out there. Even if you do it without a guide, there are designated areas you are allowd to go. (saftey reasons) They also rent speed boats. Again without a guide, only in designated areas.

As Turksheadguy said, it is too far.

Edited: 22 January 2018, 15:00
Gloucester...
Level Contributor
442 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shipwrecks accessible without jet ski?

I can't imagine walking out to the Long Bay wreck. I kite over there all the time and its pretty far out, more than I want to go and I'm kiting!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shipwrecks accessible without jet ski?

Missbsail,

I agree, and not only is it far, there are a lot of little critters in the water that I would be afraid biting me if I walked it. Would never happen. I have heard of some people kayaking out there. Again, wouldn't do it by myself. Anything could happen.

Gloucester...
Level Contributor
442 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shipwrecks accessible without jet ski?

Yup djb. People have reached the wreck many ways. Kayak on a nice day would be fun, Supping too but walking.... I've been in a boat out there many times and although its very rare, I saw a "critter" that I would have not wanted to walk up too!

Edited: 22 January 2018, 19:15
Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shipwrecks accessible without jet ski?

🦀🐙🙀🦐🐌🦂🐋

yep me too!

Reply to: shipwrecks accessible without jet ski?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted