We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos on TCI

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos on TCI

Are all the reviews about getting eaten alive correct? We will be there in July.

jrj
Level Contributor
130 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos on TCI

We just returned this week from 10 days in T&C. Yes, we were eaten alive. I never really saw mosquitos, but both my husband and I are covered with bites. And that with a screened in porch!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,049 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos on TCI

There are no-see-ums at dusk when the sun goes down, you will find this on all caribbean islands, (and the East Coast in summer too!) It's not an all day problem. If it rains, they may come out for about 20 minutes after it stops. (It hardly ever rains in Provo) Make sure you have DEET. (OFF spray has it) and you will be fine.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos on TCI

i just came back from a week at the ocean club west...i have 2 bites...they came from mosquitos that were stranded in our bathroom...i've never had a problem with mosquitos... i don't know...some people must have special attractive blood...but i also never wear perfume there either so maybe smelly stuff attracts the biting bugs...sandfleas maybe bite people but after 4 trips to provo i've never had trouble with being bit by much of anything...and it always surprises me when people complain of being eaten alive...

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos on TCI

justlaura - I got some cactus juice after your recommendation. I'm hoping it works, since the skeeters do tend to love me!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos on TCI

Try Avon's skin so soft. The no see ums don't bother me but my husband gets eaten alive and this works for him. We ran into the same issue in the evenings in Bonaire when we would sit at the beach bar and watch the sunset. Also works for little ants.

Erie, PA
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos on TCI

We ate out every night and had no bug problems at all. We brought bug spray but have never needed to use it. This included 2 evening walks on the beach.

Seattle
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos on TCI

Yes, there are mosquitos. I'm on Provo now and I can say for certain there are mosquitos. The locals claim they come out after rain, but it appears they are out every night. The sand flies also bite. Bring repellent. Better safe than sorry.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos on TCI

Yes, you MUST bring bug repellent! They only carry Off in the stores here, so if you prefer another brand, bring it from home. As others have said, the mosquitos are particularly bad at night--since most restaurants here are outdoors, you want to spray up before going out to dinner.

Long Beach, CA
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos on TCI

If you don't want to use a DEET repellent, try Bite Blocker. It uses soybean oil and is very effective. Not as effective as DEET, but it doesn't compromise the effectiveness of your sunscreen and doesn't feel like you're bathing in insecticide. Especially good for kids. I found it on Amazon.com, but you can google and find it other places.

fremont, CA
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos on TCI

Are the sandflies there bad? I went to one of the Indonesian Island and the sand flies bites on my friend were really bad like it was still there after a month. I am bringing OFF but don't know how much is enough.