We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nanny/baby-sitter service in Providenciales

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southeastern PA
Level Contributor
438 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Nanny/baby-sitter service in Providenciales

Hi, my husband and I are planning on going to Provo with our toddler late summer 2008. We plan to rent a villa(most likely Kinamwei). I rarely leave her with a baby-sitter here in the states, but know that we'll want to do some activities(snorkeling/dinners out) without her. Can anyone give me any insight into the baby-sitter/nanny situation there? We would consider having a full-time nanny for the week we're there, just to always have them available to watch the baby while we're at the beach during the day, etc. Is there a nanny agency on the island? Are the nannies very trustworthy/responsible, with background checks and first aid training? Any insight into weekly/daily/hourly rates? Thank you!

Batumi, Georgia
Level Contributor
965 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nanny/baby-sitter service in Providenciales

When I was resident in Provo (3 years) my housemaid also did babysitting for several people. Although not fully accredited (if such a thing exists in Provo) she is very popular and will be able to give some references.

If you e-mail me on dudingeo@hotmail.com I will reply by return with all her contact details.

C_B

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nanny/baby-sitter service in Providenciales

During our first visit to Provo several years ago, I met one of the other posters on this website. She had kids my children's ages (then 8 and 10 years old). We all stayed at The Sands. They had a babysitter that they referred her to. Her kids said that the sitter was fine but did not interact with them and watched TV the entire time. Admittedly this is one sitter on one visit but this one came recommended by the hotel and supposedly had a certain level of credibility. Such a sitter would not be appropriate for a toddler.

If you don't leave you child with a sitter in the states where you presumably know the people taking care of her, I would not leave her with a complete stranger in another country. Some good options for you include contacting Beaches to see if you can get her a day pass to use the day care center. I would assume that Beaches does a full screening of care providers. That would be my first option. Second, I would consider taking a sitter with me from the States. One that you know and trust, perhaps a family member. Third, I would contact local day care centers who are, again, presumably licensed.

I travel extensively with my kids (thus my post name). I am comfortable leaving my children with sitters here at home but am not comfortable leaving them with strangers in hotels/condos or villas. Just my two cents but thought I would share it with you. Moms

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nanny/baby-sitter service in Providenciales

There is another option, but you probably won't like it. :-(

We've taken our children to Provo seven times since they were ages 1 & 5, and have never had a baby- sitter, nanny, or a kid's program.

Our vacations have always been active. We've either traded off snorkeling at Coral Gardens and Smith's Reef, or all went together on snorkel boat trips. We've done tons of excursions, all together. And we've always eaten out together, just about every night we're there.

Most all restaurants on Provo are child-friendly. I recommend feeding your toddler before you dine, then ordering him/her desert or ice cream at the restaurant while you two enjoy your dinner. Worked for us.

We too would be leary about handing our children over to a stranger, anywhere. In fact, I'm sure we wouldn't do it. <IMO>

Believe me, I can FULLY understand your desire to spend time alone, away from a toddler. But on the other hand, that's the ticket we all bought when we decided to have children. Might as well enjoy them while they're young. :-)

Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nanny/baby-sitter service in Providenciales

I agree with Desi,same for our family. My oldest took his 1st steps on Provo. (he will be 14 2/16 & had most of his birthdays there). Your second sentence says it all, so how could you leave her in a unfamiliar place. It gets easier as they get older. I used to keep the kids on the beach as busy as possible so my wife could relax. we brought a pop up tent with us and they were very comfortable sleeping on the beach. If anything bring a relative with you.

detroit
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nanny/baby-sitter service in Providenciales

Hi...We are heading down to Provo too, at the end of the year.

We have travel with our now 9 month old quite a few times ...and just returned from 2 weeks in Scotland.

The reason I chimmed in on this topic was.....I am a travel professional....I own my own Travel and event planning company....and I tell my clients to never ever ever get a nanny in another country.

They are not trained like we are here, they do not have the experience at all.

Goiong to a resort that offers a "kids camp" is one thing.....Beaches, Hyatts, Four seasons, Ritz Carelton, Westins...these are the resorts that I know are accredited by our laws of child care and early child development.....and now the Melia resorts.

You will see adds for nannys on the internet and in mags when you arrive...but please dont hire a nanny there.....

Call beaches about a day pass...

and like others have posted..it is such a child friendly island....we go there because of the calm waters...so the kids can play..

Have a great time

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nanny/baby-sitter service in Providenciales

The only option I would be comfortable with, is a baby sitter at Grace Bay Club while you eat at Anocoana. (The only restaurant that doesn't allow children-and that's if they are willing to provide the service not staying there.)

I, like everyone above, have taken my daughter everywhere. I, also like everyone above, would never get a babysitter in a place of travel away from my home without knowing the person very well. I especially wouldn't do it if you don't use babysitters back home either.

I personally have used a babysitter before on Provo, but only because I know many people on the island, and have lots of friends on the island. Provo, being my second home, I can do that. I would not do it never having been, or not knowing anyone, ever.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nanny/baby-sitter service in Providenciales

I agree with all. I would not leave my engagement and wedding rings with complete strangers; why would I leave my precious children? The rings can be replaced, they cannot. Moms

Southeastern PA
Level Contributor
438 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nanny/baby-sitter service in Providenciales

Wow, thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses. What I was trying to learn was what the situation is like as far as reliable child care, and I think you all filled me in nicely. We originally became interested in TCI because of learning about Beaches, and how well they sell their childcare program. ("Ultra-nannies", accredited by a U.S. university, etc.) But after looking into it more, reading bad reviews(mostly of accommodations, dining, service-not about the kids' programs) on here, and a so-so review in Frommer's, we became more sold on the villa rental idea, the privacy, autonomy, etc.

I'm a SAHM, so am blessed to spend many, many wonderful hours with my precious daughter. I feel guilty(no kidding) leaving her with my loving, responsible sister(her aunt) to go to the grocery store by myself, if that's any indication of how protective I am of her, and how much I love being with her. If someone had replied with, "There is a very reputable nanny agency on the island, and here is their number...", then I would have spoken with them over the course of the next several months before going to determine if I'd consider hiring a nanny while we're there. I would not just show up and have someone I'd never spoken with and had no solid references for take care of my daughter, rest assured. :) I totally agree that no dinner out or outing with my husband would be worth risking a hair on her head, and I would never leave her in anything less than absolutely competent hands.

So...can anyone else relate to my defensiveness as a first-time mom? ;) Ah, that is for another message board, I believe.

Thanks again, all.

gtp.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nanny/baby-sitter service in Providenciales

I too, am ultra protective of my daughter-and take her everywhere. (We don't even have a constant babysitter in the States!) I completely relate.

But here's another idea:

Is there someone from your neighborhood that you would trust, a teenager, babysitter, etc? See if they are willing to come down (maybe pay the airfare? the villa cost would be the same) Many people bring nannies down, or babysitters with them to oversee the children. They get an awesome trip, you get relaxation with "built in" help.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Nanny/baby-sitter service in Providenciales

No need to feel defensive, we've all been there.

Believe it or not, I'm a SAHD -and- work from home. My skill set includes changing a diaper with my left hand while writing a report with my right. :-)

Ours are now 8&13. It does get much easier as they grow older and learn to care more for themselves.

It's been six years since we've done so, but my wife and I have left the kids with grandparents and taken long weekends to the Caribbean. That's how we first visited Provo, along with St. John and the British Virgin Islands. We hope to do the same to Provo sometime this summer, after taking the family to Anguilla in June. Only time and budget will tell if we can make both trips.