We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spirit air?

Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
spirit air?

Can anyone give me their experience with spiritair? I found great tickets from Orlando for $99 each way plus tax of course.......This works out for us because we wanted to go to Disney for a couple days and then off to Beaches T & C.

When I was putting in our flight info. for October it says they fly Saturday ONLY. When I accidently plugged in a Fridays date it said that after May 1st it would only be going to PLS on Sundays. Why would it let me put my Saturday info in for October? I did email them, I just haven't heard back. I am OK with the Sundays, but would need to know so I can change my reservations..

The reason I told you all that......just wanted to know if any of you are frequent flyers on spiritair. We have never used this airline before and would like to know more about them and experience. Do any of you have any incite on the day change with reservations? Should I wait to book? I am scared we will lose the good deal. Airfare is so high right now and we are coming all the way from Seattle. Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spirit air?

We used them from Atlantic City to Myrtle Beach and loved it! The seats were bigger than USAirways, the plane was cleaner...and the jet was only a year old. The service was excellent. No complaints and I would use it as often as possible if their service was a bit closer to us.

newport news
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: spirit air?

We spent a lot of time on the phone with Spirit yesterday trying to get questions answered, and to put it nicely, their staff was terrible. My husband said that he hoped their pilots were better trained! Your post helps answer my questions though. They had an $8 special from Ft. Lauderdale to Provo that was only good yesterday. May 11th was one of the available dates(Sunday) but the computer wouldn't take that day,saying they only flew there on Saturdays. NO ONE at Spirit could tell us what was going on. As a result, we lost that deal and today when I go in, as you said, it says as of May 1st Sundays only. Also, after all the "fees" were added on another $8 deal I checked out, the total cost was over $200. I say all of this just to warn you to be careful and to let you know that they seem to be seriously uninformed and lacking in customer service. Also note that you will be charged for your bags. I think that you can "check" you bags online ahead of time and the fee is reduced to $10 per bag.

Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spirit air?

sunsandandpalmtrees.....thanks for the good info on the good flying experience. That's nice to hear.

Sue.....I am glad that what I typed made sense. LOL! I seen the special that you were talking about for May for $8 and noticed it was on a Sunday. Very strange that it lets me type in a Saturday for October unless the Sunday thing is temporary. Who knows??? I will try to call as well and I will post info. if I do get any??

So they charge $10 per bag? Is this after the first checked bag or all checked bags? I remember hearing on the news that airlines are charging for more than one bag. I was trying to figure out a way to NOT check our luggage anyway, but I don't think I can get out of it because we will need a carseat for our infant. Darn!

Thanks for the replies!

Southeastern PA
Level Contributor
460 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spirit air?

Most airlines do not charge at all for a checked carseat. In fact, when we have traveled with our toddler(and when she was an infant), I always checked my maximum number of bags(two-I'm not a light packer anyway, and I have to pack her clothing and paraphenalia, too), AND checked her carseat, and it's no extra charge for that extra checked item(same for a stroller, which you can have in addition to the maximum carry-on items as well, or a wheelchair) because it's an "assistive device". I think, also, they don't want to tempt parents to NOT put their child in a carseat when traveling, so they are very accommodating with them.

However, I've never flown on Spirit, but I would guess that you could still check your one bag, and not be charged for the carseat as a 2nd checked item. Worth checking out. :)

I still haven't decided, though, when we go to Provo, if I'm just going to rent a carseat when we're there(it's our first trip and our daughter will be 22 months), or bring ours.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spirit air?

goingtoprovo

Just a thought about the carseat. We rented our car from Grace Bay Car Rentals and they provided a carseat for us for free, so we didn't bring ours. It was a Graco model and in good shape. The only thing was it was the infant baby carrier type, not a booster/convertible type like a 22 mo. old would use. Our daughter was 14 mo. old and is tiny so it worked fine and it was funny to see her in the baby carrier after having packed that away months before. Just thought you might like to clarify the size with whoever you are renting from. It was really nice not to have to haul the carrier but it'd be a shame to get there and find the car seat won't work for you.

West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spirit air?

Carribeancrazy- we are flying Spirit to Provo on March 29th and have flown them to the Bahamas in the past. They charge $10 each way per bag if you check the bags online (just raised it from $5 per bag). If you wait until the day you fly, it's more expensive; not sure but at least $15 or $20 per bag (EACH WAY). We've realized this is where they get you. They also charge for drinks on the flight so pack some beverages, especially if you have kids. If you're not flying until October, I would wait on booking. I was able to find our flights for $269 each R/T by checking the website daily (from Ft. Lauderdale). They usually run specials every other day. I also noticed the schedule change to Sundays. Sometimes they'll change the dates they fly to certain islands seasonally. Make sure you read their specials carefully since at times, the lowest rates are for those who belong to Spirit's $9 club only. As for our experience flying Spirit, the seats are roomier than most other airlines. The flight attendants were very nice. Flight was very late leaving Nassau but it was due to power failure at Fort Lauderdale. Staff did a good job of keeping passengers informed while waiting. If you can get a decent fare, I would book with them but don't expect more than the norm for flying these days. Good luck planning! 22 days 'til our first trip to North Caicos! WOOHOO!

Southeastern PA
Level Contributor
460 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: spirit air?

Thanks, KAMS. I do have a rental reserved through GBCR, so I'll email them to see if I can get a toddler seat. Yeah, the infant carrier might be better than nothing, but I think it would be quite a sight to see her long legs dangling out. :) I think if they don't have a toddler seat we'll probably bring our own or rent one from the baby rental place on island. Thanks, again. It's so nice to have another mom on here who's traveled with a toddler, and to the Sands, as well. Thanks for your help.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: spirit air?

If you fly with spirit, PLEASE take the travel insurance offered at the end of the transactions and DO NOT cancel it. We bought $1200 worth of flights to T&C from them two years ago and they cancelled our return flight after we had booked and paid a large deposit for a condo. I bought the insurance, but when they cancelled the flight, I transferred the insurance to the new flights through American. It took me 18 months for spirit to return our $$. 18 MONTHS! I cannot stress how terrible their customer service is. I cannot tell you the hours and hours I spent on the phone with them to get them to pay me back. If you are booking for "out of season", please be aware that your flight may be cancelled, so take the insurance, it is only $12.00 (I think that is what we paid) and well worth your time and money.

Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: spirit air?

Thanks for all of your replies.....I am a bit nervous about spirit air. It may not be for us?? If you buy the insurance and they charge for luggage. I don't think we are really saving that much money by the time it's all said and done. I never did get a reply on the date change to Sunday from Saturday. It does let you book Sunday for October now, so it's fixed..good thing I didn't book Saturday, they probably would have charged us the $60 to move the flight...Scary! Anyway, I am going to wait a few weeks to book plane tickets. I know it's wishful thinking that it may get lower through American. We will see??? LOL!

Thanks again for you replies!

nw, ohio
Level Contributor
97 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: spirit air?

We had booked in February for October on Sat-Sat flights. In march I got an e-mail saying they were going to fly us from detroit to fort lauderdale on sat then atlantic city to fort lauderdale and provo on sunday. it would have cost us a lot of money to change our reservations at Beaches so we ended up cancelling our reservations and booking on american airlines. It just made me so nervous that they did not know what they were doing and they changed the reservation twice before cancelling it. Hopefully it will all work out and we will end up having a great time in paradise in October.