We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with tipping! Conciege and Capt.

Boston
Level Contributor
262 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Help with tipping! Conciege and Capt.

Hello all -

I need some help from all you world travellers...

How much do we tip the conciege? He is arranging our beach renewal but has not been heard from until yesterday, never answered emails or phone calls but assures me everything is all set.

Also we are going sailing on Sunday with the Beluga and Capt Tim ...do we tip and if so how much? He owns the boat so I wasn't sure ...

Thanks - I hate this part and want to do right by everyone!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
48 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with tipping! Conciege and Capt.

We went out with Tim for a 1/2 day sunset sail. I wasn't sure b/c he owns it,but I tipped him $50. We had a great time. When we went out on a boat like his a few years ago, there was a captain and a mate and I tipped them both $50. Don't know why - it seemed appropriate.

I'd wait until after the renewal and if everything goes off without a hitch, then I'd tip the concierge. Did he make a few calls for you or did he do something substantial. My rule of thumb is if someone gets me tickets to something or a good reservation on a Saturday night, I'll tip them $20. Just getting a suggestion for a restaurant on the way out the door usually a thank you is enough, but we've never really used a service beyond that.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with tipping! Conciege and Capt.

For me, $50 seems high for a tip. I would be more inclined to tip %20 on the cost of my excursion. And if there are mates, and if they're helpful, I'll tip them accordingly as well.

Boston
Level Contributor
262 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with tipping! Conciege and Capt.

Thanks Bostontravels - the $50 is in line with what we were thinking ... I might wait to the end and see how Jason our conciege comes through for us!

Sherrilynn- just an FYI ...20% would be a lot more than $50 ...it a private charter ...but thanks anyway.

Back to the beach!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with tipping! Conciege and Capt.

Yes, I had realized it might be on those lines after I had posted. But glad I mentioned it anyway - as others may see the $50 as being very $$$ for an $80 trip.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
378 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with tipping! Conciege and Capt.

We sailed on the Beluga with Capt Tim (LOVED it!) and tipped at the 20% rate. We tipped at the rate of our delightedness with the day and his hospitality!

Have a great trip!

Boston
Level Contributor
262 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with tipping! Conciege and Capt.

We are so looking forward to our trip with Capt Bill - tipping the conciege is no problem ...

HE totally blew everything about the wedding and we are leaving the resort today. There is NO EXCUSE for the poor, poor service we received ...

COme on we asked for a small cake, champagne, flowers for the four of us and guess what we got NOTHING...

Sad it really has ruined our special night ...we hop eto move on to a better place and a better time - ther is still 4 days left!

savannah
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with tipping! Conciege and Capt.

Musicmaker -

You're staying at the Sands, correct? What resort are you moving too? I hope things work out better.

It seems like folks love the Sands or don't. We experienced very poor service a few years ago and it left a sour taste for us.

Best of luck.

Mentioned in this post
The Sands at Grace Bay
The Sands at Grace Bay
1,989 Reviews
Providenciales
New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with tipping! Conciege and Capt.

Oh Musicmaker!! I am so so sorry to hear that your party was ruined. You're so positive about everything...so this really must have been pretty bad.

I hope you have a terrific time the next four days.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with tipping! Conciege and Capt.

Hang in there, Musicmaker.

With the sour milk, late rental car, dead rental car, dry bbq chicken, disappointing meals, and now a ruined vow renewal ceremony, things are bound to look up. :-)

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
5,087 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with tipping! Conciege and Capt.

Musicmaker, I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. :( Your positive attitude will overcome all the odds and things are bound to get better. Enjoy the rest of your trip.