We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to The Sands next week - what to pack?

NC
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Going to The Sands next week - what to pack?

We are going to be at The Sands for a week and was wondering what to take? Are beach towels avail? Should we take dish detergent (for dishwasher), dish towels, laundry det., shampoo, conditioner, paper towels, coffee, filters? I never stay at condos so I don't know what is provided and what I need to bring. Of course I'll pack sunscreen, snacks, mosquito repellent, some floats (we are a family with 4 kids.) Tell me what we should bring. Thanks!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to The Sands next week - what to pack?

There are beach towels provided. They have conditioning shampoo(which smells great and which I use for my shampoo but it's not good enough to condition my thick hair so I bring conditioner) and they have great bath/body wash. They have tea bags but we bring our own coffee and usually have to purchase filters but since the units vary on type/size of coffee maker I never know what size filter and purchase them at the IGA. There are generally dish towels but it can be hit or miss on sponge, dish detregent, and paper towels so we brought last year although we purchased some the trip before that at the IGA and found that prices weren't too bad, economy paper towels about $1.50 for example. Every time I want to pack my kitchen my husband reminds me that we are going to Provo and will still be in civilization, the IGA is down the road and it's just not worth hauling too much.

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to The Sands next week - what to pack?

Bring a sponge and zip lock bags for opened crackers/cookies/cereal. Paper towels have always been in the units I have rented, as well as, dish deteregent and dishwasher soap. They start you off with a small box of laundry soap and I just bought some more at IGA. I always bring my own coffee. They have dish towels in the units. Bring 5's and 1's for tips, sun glasses, hats. You will not need as many clothes as you think.

NJ
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to The Sands next week - what to pack?

I've read through a number of old posts and have been keeping a running list.....doesn't include

passport/confirmations for air/hotel/car/etc

camera/underwater camera/iPod/BlackBerry

sunscreen/lipblock/hats/sunglasses/after sun lotion

candle for balcony

backpack or beach bag

Tide pen

Advil and prescription medicines

bug repellant

golf shoes and glove

books/magazines

flashlight (for walking on beach)

binoculars

sandwich bag with a few band-aids, neosporin, safety pin

small soft-sided cooler (for packing lunch/beverages)

ziplock bags (all sizes for snacks, wet suits)

1-2 extra plastic grocery bags for trip home (wet stuff, open containers)

sponge

snacks

passport

small container of laundry detergent (I'm picky)

your favorite bottle of wine or spirits!

Hope this helps! -Dee

NJ
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to The Sands next week - what to pack?

meant to say doesn't include toiletries or clothes!

Toronto
Level Contributor
338 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to The Sands next week - what to pack?

With four kids I'd bring loads of snacks and other foods like pasta, juice boxes, granola bars, cereal... I brought all of that with my 3 kids and was glad I did. I brought dish towels (sometimes there are not any, sometimes there are... hard to know) and wash clothes for the kids. Laundry det. is a must! Coffee is also a must! I brought beach toys and bought noodles at the IGA.

NC
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to The Sands next week - what to pack?

Great ideas! Does anyone know if muffin tins are provided? Thought I'd take along some muffin mix for breakfast. I have some of those dishwasher detergent tablets which will be easy to take along. I'll pick up some alcohol at duty free before we board. Any idea where to go for some cheap eats? If dinner for two is running as high as people say, I can't imagine what it will cost to feed the six of us (and of course my kids all love seafood!)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to The Sands next week - what to pack?

Cheap eats-

Wed. chicken and rib night at Tiki Hut-$13 for meat, smashed potatoes and veggies, large portions, good prices on other nights, Turtle Cove Marina

Sharkbites, also at the marina-burgers and the like, good prices

Da Conch Shack-abt. 10-12 for conch or other fish with two sides like rice and peas or mac and cheese (which is like baked homemade, in Blue Hills on the beach

Horse Eyed Jacks-next door to Da Conch Shack, burgers, chicken fish, etc., on the beach, live music Sun. at 5, their "family day"

Hemingways has reasonable dinner prices right at tHe Sands, kids menu and adult meals run from abt. $16-24 which is reasonable for Provo and you can always get burgers, etc., my favorite meal is grouper creole for abt. $18-note lunch menu served until 6 so you can do an early dinner and get good prices-try grouper tacos

Iguanas at Saltmills Plaza was a pleasant surprise for us, abt. a 7-10 min. walk along the sidewalk, left out of The Sands driveway onto Grace Bay Road, dinner for 2 was $85 w/tip, 2 drinks, 2 apps, 2 meals(steak and seafood pasta), 1 dessert, all was quite tasty

Favorite restaurants that are not as cheap-Bay Bistro next door at Sibonne $120 for 2, Coco Bistro $140-my absolute favorite!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to The Sands next week - what to pack?

Carolina,

I 'think' that I read on the forum that there is a seafood market someplace close by. Perhaps you can get some fresh catch and do cooking to cut down the cost for 6? Just a suggestion.

If this turns out to be true - next trip, I'm going for the full kitchen.

NC
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to The Sands next week - what to pack?

Lots of great ideas for cheap eats! I will look up the fish market - I'll just bring a few seasonings from home. We will have to take advantage of the before 6:00PM lunch menu at Hemingways. Time to head out to Wal-Mart!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to The Sands next week - what to pack?

Don't forget the mesh floats at walmart!