We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing food into Turks and Caicos

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
3 posts
Save Topic
Bringing food into Turks and Caicos

Has anyone brought food items into TCI? We wanted to bring some snack items, coffee, etc. and did not know if customs was a problem. Also, has anyone brought these types of items on the plane in their carry on?

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing food into Turks and Caicos

You can bring snacks in your carry on as long as it's not in any kind of liquid form.

I always check a collapsable cooler with frozen spagetti sauce and meatballs, cookie dough, bacon,blueberries etc..

California
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing food into Turks and Caicos

thanks for the info.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing food into Turks and Caicos

Provo does have a modern, full-service grocery store.

We always raid the home pantry for non-parishable items, primarily for the kids. Anything else we need, we buy on the island.

Don't forget a few snack items for the plane ride. It's demeaning having to beg the flight attendent for an extra bag of pretzels.

Austin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing food into Turks and Caicos

CaribDesi, not demeaning anymore - they'll be glad for you to just pull out the wallet and they'll sell you that $6 bag of ruffles, no problem!

Curiousmom,

My daughter has food allergies/issues, so we usually plan on taking food and being able to cook in the room. Although I had heard great things about the IGA, I didn't want to spend time shopping and cooking from, scratch. So, I traveled with homemade spaghetti sauce, hamburger patties, cooked chicken breasts and salmon, all frozen, as well as bread, crackers, cheese, nuts, coffee, etc. In the past, I have always checked this collapsible cooler loaded with frozen food and blue ice, and it makes it just fine. But for our trip to TCI this June, I was concerned that our checked bags might not make our one connection in DFW, and that would mean ruined food, so I packed this in our carry-on and we had no problems at all. I packed the juice in the checked bag.

I did answer "yes" to the customs form because I had apples as well as the meat products. so we were routed through another line at the airport. when I opened the luggage to search for the apples, the customs officer just smiled at my husband, rolled his eyes at me, and zipped our suitcase back up! it was obvious to me I could have answered "no" on the form but I'm a little too honest for my own good sometimes! Hope this helps, have a great trip.

South Brunswick...
Level Contributor
340 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing food into Turks and Caicos

Last year when we went to T&C, I packed a lot of food, but once we were there found that the grocery store was great and not as expensive as I had thought. SOme of the items I would bring again are hunks of cheese, a pitcher for making up iced tea, iced tea mix (like crystal lite... the store only had one flavor)... but I wouldn't bring things that can get crushed (crackers...)

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing food into Turks and Caicos

Do any of you guys know if the IGA has soy milk? If so, is it Silk brand? My baby drinks soymilk and I'm hoping they have Silk.

Am I correct to assume the IGA would look like the IGA in my hometown and carry all our familiar brands of food? We have peanut, treenut, and shellfish allergies in our family, too, so I'm assuming that the products are all marked with allergy warnings?

[I may be asking silly questions, but I just have to ask since this is our first trip out of the country where we're staying in a condo with a full kitchen - we've always just stayed in full service resorts.]

Canada
Level Contributor
512 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing food into Turks and Caicos

re NiblickChick's question

I'm from Vancouver as well so am familiar with our local IGA products. On vacation I've shopped at IGA Provo for 7 or 8 years in a row, we stick to the same 8 or 9 items so cannot say with certainty all the brands you are looking for will be available. However if you check www.gracewayiga.com website there is a "contact us" option. Just email them your specific questions and you will get a reasonably prompt reply.

You will love Provo!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing food into Turks and Caicos

Thanks, Repeater - I don't know why I didn't think to search for their website. I did send out a email to them - I will post their reply when I get it.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing food into Turks and Caicos

In case anyone is wondering, the IGA has a lot of the same brands that my family buys including Silk milk in plain and vanilla. whew! I wasn't sure what I was going to do if they didn't have Silk soymilk. But I'm here now and we've been to the IGA several times because we ended up wanting to cook dinner a couple of nights this week.

Also, our kids have peanut and nut allergies but so far, we haven't had any problems dining out.

Gotta go - having fun!!!

Lakeville...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing food into Turks and Caicos

we check an extra suitcase with chips, tunafish, olive oil, popcorn, pita wraps...tons of stuff

it def saved at the IGA and cost us nothing to check the bag