We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Okay...so I'm cheap.....please advise....

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kaukauna, WI
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Okay...so I'm cheap.....please advise....

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are looking at taking vacation to T&C in early to mid December, but after reading the forums I am a little scared. We are trying to travel on a tight budget and were considering staying at Comfort Suites. Is there any other more affordable hotels that you would recommend instead? The reviews do not seem terrible for this resort. Does anyone also know how much taxi fare is to and from the airport to around Comfort Suites?

Also, from the posts I have read it refers to December as the rainy season. Some have said the rain comes and goes quickly and others have experienced an all day rain....sorry I think I have read so many posts my head is spinning.

If anyone has any traveling on a budget tips for T&C I would LOVE to hear from you! We have already decided we can live with the continental breakfast at the hotel and eat only one additional meal a day out...great for my diet anyway. We also plan to pack snacks...but if anyone has any other good advice, please pass it on. THANK YOU in advance!

Herndon, VA
Level Contributor
731 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Okay...so I'm cheap.....please advise....

I would suggest that you also consider Sibonne as a budget choice. We have stayed in several of the Garden rooms and also in one of the two the "Value" rooms. Because we go to T&C for the water, we don't spend much time in our room so a basic bed and bath is fine with us. Continental breakfast at the on site Bay Bistro is included. You can walk to Bonnies for an nice inexpensive meal at a local place. You can walk down the beach to snorkel at Coral Gardens. Comfort Suites is in a small shopping area and that may appeal to you. We personally prefer the beach to shopping. The pool at Sibonne is very small and I have only seen childre in it. One negative is the availability of Palapas (shade umbrellas) on the beach - you have to rise early to get one.

You will enjoy T&C wherever you decide to stay.

Ed

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Okay...so I'm cheap.....please advise....

Turks & Caicos is not a good choice if you are travelling on a tight budget, as everything on the island of Providenciales is very expensive including taxis fares, gas, beer and food. You might to select another destination where your dollar will go allot further, such as Dominican Republic or Mexico.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,038 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Okay...so I'm cheap.....please advise....

Sibonne runs specials, I would highly consider them. You cannot live off of Comfort Suites breakfast. While I have stayed numerous times at Comfort Suites, the rooms are fine, location good, the breakfast is awful! It consists of a breakfast cake (similar to corn bread) and danishs, coffee, and orange juice-and none tastes good. They have a mini fridge in the rooms, but the power doesn't connect when in the room, so it doesn't stay cold! (You have to keep your room key in a slot for power). If you're on an extremley tight budget, keep in mind Provo overall is expensive-keep in mind you will spend more than anticipated! There are ways to survive-ex. Wed night ribs at Tiki Hut for $13 (and awesome to boot) but you need taxi/or car to get there. IGA Supermarket has deli sandwiches and delicious rotessorrie chicken and pasta/potatoe salads you can eat. If you eat dinners out, go to places right before 6, you can order from lunch menues. The Orchid at Alexandra has buffet nights for dinner at a reasonable price. Ocean Clubs have cheaper snack type dinners. Hemmingways at dinner has fish and chips that are reasonable, or eat an appetizer for dinner. If you don't use these tricks, keep in mind dinners average around $80 a couple. Also keep in mind, most restaurants charge per drink, not like in States where you get refills. (Including tea!) You may want to budget for a rental car ($39 per day at Grace Bay Car Rentals), in the long run, you'll save buy geting prepared foods at IGA Supermarket, and can head to Blue Hills for cheap, yet delicious local restaurants. You can also drive to Coral Gardens for off the beach snorkeling, etc.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Okay...so I'm cheap.....please advise....

Without a doubt, Sibonne is a great choice. It is priced exactly as Comfort Suites and you are right on the beach. I would rather be there any day, swinging on a hammock than staying off the beach at Comfort Suites which is a abt. a 7-10 min. walk fromn your room to the beach. Sibonne also offers a continental breakfast. Next door at The Sands is Hemingways which is rather reasonably priced and serves the lunch menu until 6 so you can have dinner around 5:30 and pay lunch prices, be advised this includes mainly sandwiches, salads, burgers, etc. but it also includes the fish tacos which are excellent. Saltmills Cafe at Salymills Plaza is also reasonable and we found Iguanas to be very good food for a great price (also at The Saltmills)-2 dinners, 2 drinks, 1 app., 1 dessert, tip, $85 whihc is very reasonable by Provo standards.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Okay...so I'm cheap.....please advise....

One possibility that most people don't think about for a relatively inexpensive vacation is the Club Med. They frequently run specials that make it very affordable. For example, I just checked for one week in January (17-24) and they are showing a special rate of less than $1900 for two for the week. This includes the room, all meals, all drinks, and all sports/activities. I doubt that you could stay at either the Comfort Suites or Sibonne and eat one decent meal out per day and get by for less than that. The Club Med is not for everyone, but is more oriented toward active people who like to do the various sports and such. The rooms are not fancy but are functional and well maintained and I'd guess more or less on a par with a basic room at Comfort Suites. If you book your air through Club Med, they also include transfers to/from the airport, but check closely as sometimes you can get better fares elsewhere.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Okay...so I'm cheap.....please advise....

One possibility that most people don't think about for a relatively inexpensive vacation is the Club Med. They frequently run specials that make it very affordable. For example, I just checked for one week in January (17-24) and they are showing a special rate of less than $1900 for two for the week. This includes the room, all meals, all drinks, and all sports/activities. I doubt that you could stay at either the Comfort Suites or Sibonne and eat one decent meal out per day and get by for less than that. The Club Med is not for everyone, but is more oriented toward active people who like to do the various sports and such. The rooms are not fancy but are functional and well maintained and I'd guess more or less on a par with a basic room at Comfort Suites. If you book your air through Club Med, they also include transfers to/from the airport, but check closely as sometimes you can get better fares elsewhere.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
27 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Okay...so I'm cheap.....please advise....

We just returned from the Sands and, as everyone above me mentioned, it is very expensive. Some ways we tried to save money were to pack food items in a carry on. I took a cooler bag and froze some Thomas's pita bread (it doesn't smash like regular bread and took them out of the hard plastic carrier they come in and just put them in a freezer bag), carrots, a bag of lettuce, apples, and sealed packs of lunchmeat. To keep everything cold, I put in a pack of frozen vegetables because you can't use ice packs. I also took some protein bars in our 2nd carry on bag. I took a plastic jar of peanut butter and plastic knives and put it in a sealed bag in my checked luggage. And, we put as much bottled water in our checked luggage as we could. Then when we got there, we purchased some milk from the IGA, although you should have a working refrigerator in your room for this to work. The IGA is expensive as well. A loaf of bread that cost $3.50 at home was $7.25 there. Even with these items, we still paid a lot for everything - dinner, gas, etc. But, this is not just T & C - this is all islands. I did find a good price at an All Inclusive in Punta Cana, but decided to go to T & C instead. From now on, I'll probably stick to the Gulf side of Florida - much cheaper!

bishopville...
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Okay...so I'm cheap.....please advise....

We also are cheap travelers and booked the Comfort Suites for mid November since we were able to get an employee rate which is half of the normal rate. After booking air reservations w/ US Airways I received an email giving us the option to add a hotel and apply the price of our tickets purchased to the package. I looked into what was avaialable and was able to get the Comfort Suites for even less that we could get it at the employee rate. Comfort Suites is offering the 7th night free AND $100 beverage credit at the hotel AND 20% off the room rate for bookings through mid December. It worked for us since we had already decided on Comfort Suites and it saved us about $350. We don't spend much time at the hotel anyhow and decided we can suffer with the breakfast offered or go elsewhere with the extra money we saved on the room. Don't know where you fly from but you may want to check US Airways vacations packages or the Comfort Suites hotel web site itself for this special. http://www.comfortsuitestci.com

P.S. I do hope the frig in the room works though - I had not read anything on the reviews about that!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Okay...so I'm cheap.....please advise....

This is an add on to Blamonas post. Cheap places to eat.

Salt Mills Cafe: for Breakfast and Lunch,

Calico Jacks: for all you can eat spagetti on Mondays

Shark Bites: also has Fish and Chips for $10.95 on Wednesdays.

Bonnies: off of Grace Bay rd it's kind of a local place with good food at decent prices.

Sandwich shop next to the IGA.

You can also check out someplaces to stay maybe a studio in one of the resort along Grace Bay for rent by owner on www.vrbo.com

Victor, NY
Level Contributor
146 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Okay...so I'm cheap.....please advise....

Hello, for my two cents ... I didn't stay at the Comfort Suite ... but the hotel looks lovely. It is next to a plaza with stores and several restaurants. Jimmy's Dive Bar is on site and IMO the same prices as home. It is a 'dive' but we ate there several times and the food was very good and HUGE portions. I also noticed that the CS has an entrance/walkway to the beach from the main rd ... which is a public beach entrance - with a sign directing you. Not far.

To be honest, if you were to book a garden view room (which are typically farther away from the ocean) at any other hotel ... same type of walk to the beach. Really not a big difference.

Many posters mention the expensive restaurants. Yes, they can be expensive at the fancier places. But the island has many restaurants choices that are the same prices at home. You should do fine on a budget.