We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"gay-friendly" accommodations

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
"gay-friendly" accommodations

Hi -

Can anyone suggest any lodging options on Provo in which my partner and I would feel comfortable staying? Maybe it's not such a big deal there?

I've found a couple places through another website, but just curious if anyone has any advice on this (Caribbean Paradise Inn, for one). What about Sibonne?

Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "gay-friendly" accommodations

Interesting question, and honestly, it's one that I've never thought about.

So you'll know, like many Caribbean islands, TCI society tends to be conservative, and generally frowns upon PDA (gay or strait).

I don't believe there is a resort or hotel on Provo that actively promotes itself as being "gay friendly." However, I'm sure that we have seen gay couples while vacationing there -- just didn't give it much thought.

That said, what kind of price range are you looking for, and do you want to be beachfront?

Providenciales
Level Contributor
632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: "gay-friendly" accommodations

CaribDesi is correct.

There are no resorts on Provo that market themselves as "gay friendly."

It is a very conservative island.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "gay-friendly" accommodations

Okay, that's good to hear. Yeah, it's not like we're going to be showing a lot of PDA - not much into it myself. Just wanted to make sure if we get a room with one king bed, we're not going to get cold shoulders or strange looks. My attitude is that money is money - shouldn't matter who they're getting it from - but I don't want to feel like we're not welcome.

Other than that, looking for a room with king bed, pool, around $200 or less a night. Don't really care about beachfront necessarily - but wouldn't want to be more than a couple blocks or so away.

That's why I'm looking at Sibonnne mostly. Caribbean Paradise Inn also looks fine. Doesn't have to be luxury - just clean and safe and relatively comfortable. Balcony/outside seating, pool - the usual.

Thanks.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "gay-friendly" accommodations

As I say, I guess we don't necessarily need gay-friendly but we don't want gay-unfriendly, that's for sure.

Usually, honestly, what I do is send a reservation request to the hotel and basically out myself in that initial email. If I get a good response, then I go with it. If not, then that place doesn't get my money. That's really the easiest way to find if a place is gay-receptive. Maybe that's a better term than gay-friendly.

Lakeville...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "gay-friendly" accommodations

Hey Plumboy-

We just went with our lesbian couple friends who are friendly PDA and no one batted an eyelash to us.

We rented a villa, but we went everywhere from da conch shack to Magnolia with no issues.

There are caibbean places, like Jamaica, that are not gay friendly...and then there are gay friendly like Rio or Puerto Vallarta....I would say Provo is gay tolerant.

Have a great time

Kim

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,174 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "gay-friendly" accommodations

Gay/Straight/Bi....Whatever

What most travelers need to remember is this- that they are in another country/culture and need to conduct themselves with some degree of decorum.

Most travelers/guests/residents do not really want to see PDA from newlyweds wether gay or straight.

Just show some class and conduct yourselves in a civilized manner and I really do not think it should matter.

We have met numerous gay and straight couples on vacation and I really do not think that most people really care that much about sexual preferences.

Everyone is more interested in their vacations and having a good time.

After all....it's about vacation.

Just my thoughts

Mike

Milltown, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "gay-friendly" accommodations

plumboy, Don't worry. You will be fine and no one will care if you are gay or straight. Everyone will be too busy enjoying Paradise. I find it sad that you even have to ask. Go, have fun and have a blast.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: "gay-friendly" accommodations

Sibonne is probably my favorite budget-oriented property, primarily because of its location -- directly on the beach, and in close proximity to other resorts, restaurants, etc.

Keep in mind that Sibonne is a clean, comfortable, beachfront motel -- nothing more, nothing less. As with any motel, don't expect four or five-star resort service, and you should be just fine.

Sibbone does have an on-site, up-scale restaurant (Bay Bistro), that is very good.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "gay-friendly" accommodations

Sounds perfect to me! Now, when to go - that's another thread... thanks everyone!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "gay-friendly" accommodations

Plumboy, I agree the Island is very friendly no matter what. The Sibonne is the best for the price. A friend of mine stayed there and was fine with the hotel. It is right on the beach. Also, the Sands is next door and that is priced well too. There are a lot of places, restaurants etc within walking distance as well.