We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 7 days too much here is July

MD
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Is 7 days too much here is July

Looking for an island in the carribean for my 50th b-day. Wife and 9/11 year old kids. We can get to Turks in mid-July. I am seriously considering the Windsong. My concern is the heat. I understand it will be in the 90's with humidity and thinking 7 days in that environment - even with a spectacular beach - may be too much. Too hot to explore inland.

Thoughts on the tempertaure? Other islands in the Carribean during July that offer cooler temps with trade winds?

Boston...
Level Contributor
835 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 7 days too much here is July

July is usually the start of the hot and humid weather on the Island....and it usually takes 2-3 days for your body to acclimate to the climate.

The only time the heat is unbearable is when there is no trade winds....but in my experience at least, lacks of trade winds is the exception rather than the norm.

You always have the option of taking a plunge in the ocean to cool off....water is still quite refreshing during July!

Lakeville...
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 7 days too much here is July

We were there last year at the end of June through the first week of July and found the weather hot but not unbearable.

We def spent alot of time in the water, and took mid day breaks from the sun by sight seeing in the car or what have you

Have a great time

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 7 days too much here is July

Was there last July and it was hot, but I don't think it was unbearable. We would just go for lunch in the afternoon or for a drink at the bar to get out of the sun for a bit. A dip in the ocean is very refreshing as well.

Oakley, California
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 7 days too much here is July

And there isn't really anything worth seeing inland. All the sightseeing places are on or by water. You can wear your suit under your clothes and just sample each beach as you explore!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 7 days too much here is July

Not gonna sugarcoat it...

Yep, it's gonna be hot and humid in July, throughout the Caribbean.

Caribbean summers don't really bother us, because the weather's not much different than the Southeast, U.S. In fact, evenings are more comfortable there, as you get the tradewinds.

Everyone's different, so if you're worried about heat and humidity, I would spend summer vacation in the mountains, and save the Caribbean for the winter months.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,432 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 7 days too much here is July

Even if it's hot, it's so much nicer than VA weather. VA has terrible humidity, yet people still flock to the beach here. Another plus? the sand doesn't get hot and burn your feet like East coast beaches.....

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 7 days too much here is July

We have traveled to Turks a couple of times during July. It really is not too hot for us at all.

Have also been to other islands in July and they all have about the same weather.

Mike

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 7 days too much here is July

It's funny because Florida panhandle, Georgia, S.C., etc. beaches are packed during the summer, with visitors paying top dollar.

Meanwhile, the Caribbean sits basically empty with similar weather, much prettier water and beaches, and rates cut nearly in half.

Hurricanes? You can't say the Southeast and East Coasts are immune to hurricanes. So, I think it's perception more than anything else -- people don't think of the Caribbean as a summer destination.

Shhh, let's keep it our little secret. :-)

Southeastern PA
Level Contributor
438 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 7 days too much here is July

Yeah, we were there for seven days in August, and it wasn't enough! It's hot, but as long as you cool off in the water, shade or A/C, it's totally fine. I agree that with the breezes it's much more tolerable than even the Northeast U.S. The humidity seemed much lower there. It's true that there isn't much to "explore" inland- no hiking, outdoor historic sites (to my knowledge) inland. There are restaurants and some shops to visit that aren't on the beach, I think that's about it. We drove all over the island, and heat was never a problem, even for our toddler. Stay hydrated and wear lots of sunscreen! (which is valid advice for anywhere you'll be outside in summer months)

MD
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is 7 days too much here is July

Thank you all so much for taking the time to answer my question. I really appreciate it. So now I have another dilemma...

Stay at Grace Bay or go to St Kitts/Nevis. I can go to the St Kitts Marriot for roughly the same price it will cost me to go to Turks. I would love to go to Nisbet Plantation, but that is probably way out of my price range with airfare.

My 2nd concern is that 7 days at the beach at Grace Bay may be too much "beach time". St Kitts/Nevis has rainforests, monkeys, etc other things to explore. I am really torn about this decision..this vacation is a huge investment for us. Has anyone been to both places? I'd love your thoughts.

Thanks!!!