We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seriously, what would you do?

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kentucky
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Seriously, what would you do?

Hi all. Let me say in advance that I while I have only posted once on this forum, I enjoy reading everything that is written about this beautiful island and I hope that I get to experience all that it has to offer. But based on the most recent conversations surrounding the rise in crime-related incidents on the island, I am looking for some serious advice. My husband is, to be honest, freaking out and is ready to cancel our trip. We are scheduled to leave next Saturday, the 16th for our first trip to Provo. Those of you that have a home on the island or make frequent trips several times a year, what would you suggest we do?

Thanks in advance!

Powell, Ohio
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seriously, what would you do?

I would not worry at all.

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seriously, what would you do?

Seriously, I would go. As a matter of fact, I just got back in April, (16x) and I am going again sometime this summer.

I can't tell you that nothing is going to happen while in Provo, however, I can't tell you nothing will happen to you in Kentucky either.

Go and have fun!

Boston...
Level Contributor
835 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seriously, what would you do?

As a homeowner on Provo, my advice to you would be to go forward with your plans.

Just exercise the usual amount of caution you would use when visiting a land you are unfamiliar with.

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seriously, what would you do?

I agree with the others, go and enjoy yourselves. My wife and were there for the first time the first week of April and will be returning the first week of December.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Seriously, what would you do?

I would still go. We just returned last night after a wonderful week. My husband and I have a home there and average 5-6 trips per year. Going back on 5/31. Yes, the recent reports of crime are disconcerting, and we were more alert and cautious this last trip. But, the TC Islanders are taking this very seriously, and we do see an increased police presence. Stay in more populated areas, secure your residence, and keep aware of your surroundings - things you would also do at home. The island is so beautiful, and the people are so friendly, it would be a shame to miss your trip. Relax on the beach, enjoy amazing food, have a few cocktails, make some new friends, and ....have a great time!

Western Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
212 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seriously, what would you do?

We are leaving for Provo Thursday morning and should be on the beach by 3:00.

Peace - Spearsy

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seriously, what would you do?

Is there a safer place in the world? Please let me know where that might be.

If I was booked into a trip to Providenciales I would be looking forward to it with great anticipation. Looking forward to being out on the most beautiful water in the world and discovering shades of blue you never knew, walking on a talcum powder soft white sand beach that stretches on for (many) miles, relaxing, unwinding and dining at any one of our numerous fabulous restaurant choices. That is what we want to share with you!

I would be glad to know ahead of time that I need to take the usual precautions while travelling and feel confident that I am at least as safe as I am in my own hometown and most likely a whole lot safer!

8. Re: Seriously, what would you do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 May 2009, 16:11
Atlanta GA
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seriously, what would you do?

We are going ( a family of 5 ) on 5/31 and are looking forward to our trip. I've read blogs and I take the good w/ the bad. The good reviews w/ the bad and all places have troubles but it sounds like the resorts are safe. Also the police seem to be clearing up the problem. We are NOT canceling or going some where else. We probably won't venture far from the resort but that because everything we need is there. I'm more worried about the flu canceling travel plans.

Herndon, VA
Level Contributor
731 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seriously, what would you do?

I see from prior posts that you are staying at the Alexandra. That is a very safe location and within easy walking distance of several nice restaurants. I wouldn't hesitate to walk anywhere on the beach during the day. Until things settle down a bit I might be more cautious about walking alone on the beach after dark.

Go and have a great relaxing time.

Ed