We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gansevoort Help, might change reservation

New York City
Level Contributor
285 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Gansevoort Help, might change reservation

Hi All,

I'm booked at the Gansevoort but now I'm thinking I should cancel and stay somewhere else. My boyfriend and I are from NYC and we've been to the Gansevoort Miami. We're in our mid 20s. I'm reading very so-so reviews and having second thoughts.. if anyone has another other recommendations of where to stay please let me know :-)

(There's no cancellation fee til a few days before arrival)

Thank you!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
72 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gansevoort Help, might change reservation

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL. Read my trip report ion the Gansevoort section of trip advisor. With the exception of a couple of stray posters(EVERY hotel has someone impossible to please), the Gansevoort, in my opinion, is the true gem of Provo. This place is unreal, great service and secluded(very few kids). You will LOVE it!!!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gansevoort Help, might change reservation

I stayed at Gansevoort and loved it. If you like the one in Miami, you'll like this one. Only it's on a better beach!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,697 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gansevoort Help, might change reservation

We can better help you if we know what you are looking for in a resort. So far we know you are 20 and from NY. Do you want upscale, beach service, quiet, spa, etc..

New York City
Level Contributor
285 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gansevoort Help, might change reservation

I'll probably keep it as is.. leaving on july 3rd. it's a good price and not every review will be perfect. I just wasn't sure if i wanted that modern/chic decor like in Miami..We're both 26.. i want a luxury resort on the beach, with good food, beach bar, not too many kids.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gansevoort Help, might change reservation

Gansevoort is a beautiful resort, but if the swanky factor is a little much you could check out The Somerset or Grace Bay Club. Both are very nice and have a more warm, Mediterranean feel.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Gansevoort Help, might change reservation

Do not cancel. Wonderfully beautiful resort - service is still very much Caribbean, and not NYC or Miami. But that is the case all over TCI.

A smile, patience, and pleasant persistence goes a long way.

You'll love it.

Report back!

New York
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gansevoort Help, might change reservation

I used to work in the hotel industry and unfortuneatly, sometimes this site gets abused by competitive hotels pretending to be guests, posting negative reviews about new properties that are getting alot of positive buzz.

I had a great time when I stayed at Gansevoort, really amazing. The Somerset, Grace Bay Club and Parrot Cay are also fantastic properties. You will have a wonderful time at any of these resorts, but with your age demographic, and if you are looking for full-service amenities, you will probably like Gansevoort the best.

New York City
Level Contributor
285 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gansevoort Help, might change reservation

Thanks everyone!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Gansevoort Help, might change reservation

Some of the Gansevoort reviews are off (as are many reviews of many of the properties when you see a sour one) because sometimes I think people expect the Mariott or Hyatt or Four Seasons but don't acknowledge that they are not at a massive chain hotel, nor are they in the US or a major world city - it's the Caribbean.

There *are* cultural differences, just like in any foreign country.

That being said, I agree with the reviews that the Gansevoort has some kinks to work out with their front desk service, and it needs to get the wi-fi and phones under control soon - (ask for a cable for the computer to be safe, or bring one).

There appears to be some disconnect re: what drinks cost at the beach bar vs. Bagatelle or the pool, for example.

Those are small things that can be worked out with a little persistance, and a smile - and for being open 3 months or so, the property is pretty impressive.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
72 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gansevoort Help, might change reservation

Or you can always leave your cell phone and laptop AT HOME. I realize this is not always possible, but the wife and I will not go on vacation unless we can be technology-free!!!