We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack in terms of food staples

philadelphia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
What to pack in terms of food staples

Hello again!

I know a lot of you recommend bringing certain items (either food items or related) and was wondering what you all recommend and what you all bring with you? I was thinking coffee, coffee filters,chips, pretzel's anything else?

Thanks again for all your wisdom!

Southeastern PA
Level Contributor
447 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack in terms of food staples

If staying at RWI, I'm almost positive you won't need to bring coffee filters.

Are you planning on cooking or mostly eating out? If mostly eating out, it's nice to bring some snack items that are probably cheaper at home, like granola bars, crackers, etc. I remember that Tostitos at Leeward IGA were way expensive (I'm thinking $5-6?).

If you want to eat in a bit, you could freeze steaks, bring some lunch meat and cheese. I dunno, you may be able to buy the same quality for a comparable price, or at least a price that makes it not worth the trouble of shopping for the stuff, packing it in a cooler, etc.

Oh, and definitely bring a soft-sided cooler. You'll be very glad to have it to bring stuff to the beach.

A couple other items that might be nice to bring- if you are going to cook a bit, bring one of those five-spice containers- it has s & p (though your condo will have that), an italian seasoning blend, garlic, seasoning salt. And we brought a powdered pina colada mix made by Bar Tender brand (I believe). It was available in Giant (which I'm sure you have in Philly- we're in the Western 'burbs.)

Anyway, I'm definitely particular about pina coladas, really only like when they're made "from scratch" with cream of coconut, not from a mixer. But those powdered once were surprisingly good! And they were good with or without rum. Your condo will almost definitely have a blender.

Bring lots of sunscreen, especially if you like the continuous-spray kind, because it was very hard to find on Provo. (Not to mention it was $$$)

Enjoy, count it lucky that South America wasn't doable right now, because you will LOVE TCI!

philadelphia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack in terms of food staples

GTP- Thank you for the recommendations. We will probably eat out most days because I don't like cooking at home so definitely don't want to cook on vacation, lol. However, we may have some lunches/breakfasts in the room and think your ideas were wonderful. Also, my husband and I just went to target last night and bought sunscreen, bug spray, waterproof cameras, etc. because I assumed it would be quite pricey. Thanks again and thanks for reminding me to pack my cooler, I almost forgot.

Thanks!

PS: You are right, I am so glad we are going to Provo instead of South America :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack in terms of food staples

Not all condos have salt & pepper. Pour a little in Zip Lock bags, just in case.

Speaking of Zip Lock bags, take a bunch with you. They're good for all kinds of things.

Definitely, pack a re-freezable ice pack for your soft-sided cooler.

You might want to take squeezable bottles of mayo, mustard, etc. for sandwiches.

Think picnic on the beach -- it's fun and saves you a ton of $$.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack in terms of food staples

I agree that you would want to bring condiments/snacks as everything is so expensive there. Our condo (VR) had s&p, artifical sweetener & sugar, coffee & filters(we brought our own coffee)dishwashing and clothes detergent. There was even a gallon of bottled water in the fridge. I threw a pkg. of english muffins into our suitcase only b/c they were giving them away here (1.13)and they were 7.00 in the IGA!

I also made my husband lug a 2.5 lb. hunk of swiss cheese I got at Costco for 10.00 and he complained until he saw that it would have cost around 50+ on Provo. We ate the whole thing too! What amazed us is that fish which is indiginous to the area, like grouper, was over 20. per lb. not that we were looking to cook any dinners. We did buy lunchmeat there and it wasn't off the charts like some other things. We made sandwhiches a few times for lunch after paying between 20-30 for a sandwhich out. My husband had a grouper sandwhich for lunch at Mango Reef one day and before tax it was 28.00. I brought packets of Crystal light lemonade for my margaritas which I made in the condo with their blender and put into my 52 oz. bubba keg and brought it to the beach every day. The one thing I forgot was an insulated coffee mug for my husband. He loves his coffee and their cups were small and uninsulated. Definitely load up on sunscreen-I couldn't believe how much we used.

On the subject of liquor, we arrived on a Sunday when you can't buy it anywhere and until someone clued me in, as to the only place to find it on Sunday, I was upset:)This was vacation after all! My real point though, is that I drink a specific brand of Tequila that I didn't see anywhere there. If you have definite needs in this area, bring your own if you doubt your desired brands would be available. As mentioned, bring zip lock bags.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack in terms of food staples

As my husband and I went up and down the food aisles at Meijer, we looked for light weight items. No bottles of anything. We took some snack items for the beach and for between meals. dried soup like mrs grass (which i thought we'd never eat, but was wonderful on the one stormy day we had.) Kashi bars for breakfest so we didn't have to do the resturant breakfest thing. Coffee creamer various flavors, wonderful in the morning sitting on the terrace wathcing the sun and the waves. Lemonaide mix (then purchased and added fresh fruit) refreshing! We put all of our food items in a small soft sided cooler and packed it in a suitcase.

Austin
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack in terms of food staples

One trick we learned....instead of flying or buying ketchup, mayo, etc for sandwiches, we ordered takeout one of our first days at our resort. the orders came with plenty of those little packets of condiments and then we used them the rest of our stay. even if you order a sit down lunch, the condiments may come in the packets anyway. Our room (the Sands) had tea bags, salt, pepper, sugar packets.

we packed both dry food staples (cereal, coffee - even tho most resorts will provide it we have a fav brand - crackers, whatever we all liked to munch on like nuts and granola bars, etc.) but we also packed a cold cooler with cheese, deli items, and meat since we didn't want the hassle of going to the IGA (we weren't renting a car). Everything traveled well.

And my oh my yes, take lots of ziploc baggies! the big ones! and more sunscreen than you would normally use, or at least one of the new swimshirts to keep the rays off your shoulders and back.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to pack in terms of food staples

Can you pack frozen meat in a cooler as checked or carry on? does anyone know if there is a weight limit? Do you have to claim it at customs? I was hoping to bring some of those "Dream Dinners or Super Suppers" meals. Not sure if that is okay or not...do things need to have the Grade A stamp on them ? Thanks. Will be in North Caicos for a week.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to pack in terms of food staples

Just got back from Provo on Sunday. Groceries are very very expensive. If you enjoy beer, bring it with you. It is $45.00 a case for Bud Light. If you want mixers for cocktails bring those with you. I took coffee, sweetnlow, crystal light and chips, crackers and cheese. Take one of those hard suitcases so that things won't get crushed or even pack in a box and just add packaging material so things will be yummy when you get there.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to pack in terms of food staples

If carrying something heavy (case of beer), remember that most airlines have weight restrictions for checked bags.

You don't want to get hit with a $50 fee, trying to save $45.

10. Re: What to pack in terms of food staples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2010, 06:30