We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer to TCI - Da Conch Shack - Worth it?

new york
Level Contributor
120 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
First timer to TCI - Da Conch Shack - Worth it?

Hello - I have been reading conflicting reviews about Da Conch Shack. I want to try it and our decision to rent a car is based on this restaurant. Is it worth it? What other restaurants serve delicious conch? We're staying at the Somerset and the cab ride to Da Conch Shack is expensive and may not be worth it unless we rent a car.

I've never rented a car at any of my island vacations. How does it work if I only want to rent it for one day in the middle of my stay? Will I need to return it to the airport?

Also, has any rented dune buggies?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer to TCI - Da Conch Shack - Worth it?

We're all different.

Some people are perfectly content to hang around the resort area, while others want to experience an island destination, and its culture. That's your call.

Grace Bay Car Rentals will deliver your car, and pick it up the next day. Simple. No big deal.

For a day's car rental, I would also include a visit to Chalk Sound, maybe some shopping, and possibly dinner at an area restaurant that evening. There are all kinds of possibilities for a day-long excursion, and you'll more than pay for the rental car (vs) taxi cabs.

There are plenty of local restaurants that serve delicous conch, but you won't necessarily find them near the front door of The Somerset, or at a resort.

Da Conch Shack is all about conch, with the island's best conch salad and fritters <IMO>. Smokey's and Sailing Paradise nearby also serve delicious conch.

The more tourist-oriented Mango Reef, Coco Bistro and Caicos Cafe also serve some interesting conch dishes, though a bit "Americanized," and more expensive.

Never rented a dune buggy, as there aren't any dunes to "buggy" across. :-) A simple compact car can take you anywhere you'd like to go.

I always encourage people to get out and experience the TCI, but again, that's up to each individual.

Hope this helps.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer to TCI - Da Conch Shack - Worth it?

The Conch Shack is also in the experience. I would say that they have the freshest conch on island but also you are eating at a beach setting which for most people is also the lure.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer to TCI - Da Conch Shack - Worth it?

We love Da Conch Shack. They have the best conch fritters, cracked conch and conch salad on the island. But do not go if you are in a hurry as you will not be pleased. It runs on island time with island service.

new york
Level Contributor
120 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer to TCI - Da Conch Shack - Worth it?

Thanks for the suggestions! For this vacation, we're trying to avoid any tourist trap restaurants so any opinions on where locals eat for authentic food is much appreciated!

washington dc
Level Contributor
380 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer to TCI - Da Conch Shack - Worth it?

I definatly think you should do da Conch shack!!! The food and view are both well worth it. And they have one of the best rum punches on the island as well. We been to da conch shack for both lunch and dinner, lunch was the best food and not too long of a wait. We did dinner on a Thursday with the live music, great atmosphere but it was busy so the food was slow and not that good when we finally got it.

Both times we've been to Provo we have rented with grace bay car rental, we like to have the freedom to explore and do different restaurants without having the hassle of calling for a cab. Its only $240 for the week.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer to TCI - Da Conch Shack - Worth it?

Da Conch Shack, Smokey's on da Bay, Horse-eye Jacks, Three Queens, and Sailing Paradise are all located along the same beachfront road in the Blue Hills.

This is where you go for authentic Caribbean food, away from the resort scene. No tourist traps, just good food enjoyed by locals and tourists alike.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer to TCI - Da Conch Shack - Worth it?

We have been to TCI several times and Da Conch Shack is always a must for at least one meal. We enjoy the conch chowder, cracked conch, conch fritters and of course the rum punch! While we have had conch at other restaurants on the island, this is the best IMO. We generally prefer to go for lunch as it is less crowded and we take time to enjoy the beach and explore this part of the island.

Like you, we often do not rent a car in the islands. TCI is one place where we found it to be a must to have a car. Taxis are expensive and at times hard to find. Many of the places we enjoy going are not within walking distance. We rent with Grace Bay Car Rental and have always found the service to be great and their prices are reasonable.

Enjoy your trip!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer to TCI - Da Conch Shack - Worth it?

I would definitely recommend going to Da Conch Shack. We go every year. They have the best conch and rum punch. It will probably take awhile for your food but while you are waiting, you can watch them go get it from the conch pens in the water, and then crack it (take it out of the shell).

Renting a car is really easy. Grace Bay Car Rentals will deliver it to you and pick it up from you - you do not have to return it to the airport. If you do rent, definitely take some time to tour the Island!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer to TCI - Da Conch Shack - Worth it?

It's great, but avoid peak holidays. We had to leave once on a major holiday weekend because after an hour+, they still hadn't served our order.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
382 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer to TCI - Da Conch Shack - Worth it?

The best conch fritters I've had yet in the Caribbean! Hands down!! Long wait, but well worth it. Loved the curried conch as well and have not seen that anywhere else in my travels. Have to try the conch salad next time, but I've got a place that I don't think they may be able to beat, we'll see. Can't wait to compare:)

Da Conch Shack in my book is a must do, and I can't wait to go back next year! Yum-Yum!