We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hygiene of snorkle rental equipment?

Connecticut
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
hygiene of snorkle rental equipment?

Never been to an island and my family of 4 (kids in early 20's) want to try snorkleing. Never having done it, we aren't sure we want to buy equipment. We'll be staying at The Beaches (Sandals resort)in Jan 2010 where use of equipment they say is free. HOW IS IT CLEANED BETWEEN USES???!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hygiene of snorkle rental equipment?

We have our own equipment. However, in your case, I would pack a small container of disinfecting detergent, and clean it myself.

No big deal... you can clean the masks and snorkels in your sink. Only takes a few minutes.

Have fun.

new york
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hygiene of snorkle rental equipment?

We went to Beaches Negril this summer. We had our own equipment, but I did see how they clean their equipment. They have one of those big white buckets on the boat and they pour some sort of cleaner/disinfectant on the equipment and let everything soak in the bucket...bring your own! You'll feel better. Have a great trip!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hygiene of snorkle rental equipment?

The last time I was at Beaches they had two different buckets. The first one was to rinse the sand off and the second one was disinfectant. Remember salt water is also a great disinfectant. I would not worry about their equipment.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: hygiene of snorkle rental equipment?

You could buy just the snorkel (the breathing tube). They are relatively inexpensive and don't take up much room in your suitcase. Use the mask and fins provided by Beaches, and bring antiseptic wipes.

Can't take credit for this idea - my mother (still traveling & snorkeling at 78 years old) always throws one in her suitcase when she knows there will be a snorkeling opportunity at her destination!

Enjoy!

SAYREVILLE, NJ
Level Contributor
337 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hygiene of snorkle rental equipment?

I bought my own before we left last year at Wal-mart. About $20.00 for the mask and tube. Glad I did.

Well worth the investment.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hygiene of snorkle rental equipment?

Like someone else mentioned at least bring your own snorkel. We bring a good snorkel, mask, and use the flippers. The flippers take up so much room in your luggage.

Connecticut
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hygiene of snorkle rental equipment?

Thanks, that sounds like a really good option. I'll check into prices for just the snorkle tube; bring disinfectant, and use their fins/masks.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hygiene of snorkle rental equipment?

I would just consider bringing the mouthpiece and possibly a mask. Fins take up a lot of room and I'd just use theirs.

Connecticut
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hygiene of snorkle rental equipment?

ok, might be a silly question, but... you are on top of the water, correct, with face in the water and snorkel above water? Why do I see photos of people w/ snorkels jumping off boats into what looks like deep water?

ontario
Level Contributor
136 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hygiene of snorkle rental equipment?

It looks like there are a few snorkle options. I have read that you can walk out to a snorkle area from the beach, but there are also boat tours that will take you out to deeper water to snorkle in.

I think some folks who snorkle dive down to see the sights and then come back up and blow the water out of their snorkle. I will be staying head above water!!

We are there in Jan 2010 also - Jan 2nd. This will all be new to us but thanks for posting this as I will go out and buy the snorkles to pack.