We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thinking about provo trip...need some help

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
thinking about provo trip...need some help

hello -

thinking about a trip to provo this year for vacation in June. I have never been to the area. Where is the best place to go to be on the beach, yet close (i.e. preferrably walkable) to restaurants, bars, shopping, etc? We have traveled to St. Martin Orient Beach in the past & have loved the walkability of everything there & would like to find something similar if it exists. We'd like to have something in an area that's safe for walking (not at 2am, etc....just walking somewhere for dinner, etc).

We're not into "mega" resorts...prefer smaller, more intimate accommodations - however if a larger resort put us on the beach & closer to attractions, we'd consider it.

Any recommendations for resorts or general areas to fit this bill?

Thanks!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thinking about provo trip...need some help

www.villarenaissance.com

www.oceanclubresorts.com ( ocean club west )

www.theregentgrand.com

www.sevenstarsresort.com

www.villadelmar.com ( short walk to beach )

www.pointgrace.com

www.gracebayclub.com

Here are a few that i know of near the shopping plazas and restaurants. Look them over and if you have any questions there are plenty of people on this forum that will be happy to help you out with any questions you may have

Happy planning.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thinking about provo trip...need some help

thanks for the tips...we'll definitely look into those places. a couple that are missing from your list, but seem to be well priced & rated well on trip reviews....

caribbean paradise inn

alexandra

windsong

where are these 3 in terms of location proximity to food, etc?

thanks!!

3. Re: thinking about provo trip...need some help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2009, 13:10
massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thinking about provo trip...need some help

We stay at the Alexandra every year and you can easily walk to quite a few restaurants, The Plaza areas are a bit of a walk, Salt Mills Plaza being the closest. The Windsong is near a few restaurants and maybe be a bit of a walk to Turtle Cove Marina which has three or four restaurants. Caribbean Paradise Inn is not on the beach, it is close to Ports of Call shopping, which has a few shops and restaurants. It is basically a hotel room, not condo style like the Windsong and Alex.

All of the resort you have mentioned have restaurants on site.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thinking about provo trip...need some help

thanks everyone!

so, we really want to be on the beach (or at least across the street from the beach)....

also, we vacationed at a marriott in curacao last year & really felt somewhat confined to the resort due to the proximity from the city & weren't really all that pleased with the restaurants on site, etc. so, we're looking to find a place where we can walk to some "local" type of restaurants & shops, vs. only having available restaurants that are resort restaurants.

which of these places offers the best location to more of the local flair? we like to venture out sometimes & see what the island has to offer.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: thinking about provo trip...need some help

Some resorts are closer to more restaurants, but no resort is close to all.

If you really want to experience local restaurants and all the island(s) have to offer, I recommend renting a car for at least part of your stay.

Mullica Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: thinking about provo trip...need some help

From what you said I want to add a couple of things to consider that may help you.

There aren't any resorts you would call a Mega resort. Seven Stars is huge on Grace Bay, but I'm not sure it would be classified yet as a Mega resort. Too big for me, but I hear it's really nice.

The restaurants you can walk to from the beach are almost all cool in some way, intimate and/or fun. It's fun to check them out.

There is no city. I know some islands have the city center, sometimes with a cruise port and all the traffic etc., that goes with that. Provo doesn't. There is a lot to see and do (and eat) right along Grace Bay.

As caribDesi mentioned a car makes a trip to Provo much more rich whether for restaurants or for sight seeing. Grace Bay is great, but there is so much more to Provo.

Camke's list of places are really nice and there are even more to list. What's your budget or per night range?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: thinking about provo trip...need some help

well, of course we'd like to be as economically minded & would prefer to find something as inexpensively as possible....but, we could probably go up to as much as $250/night. i know on some of the travel sites (wiol.com, etc)....several of the hotels seem to have specials w/ at least 1 night free if staying 7 nights.

i'm having a little difficulty trying to find a map or something w/ all of the hotels listed to see where they are all located in relation to another. does anyone know if there's a map such as this around? i thought trip advisor used to have this capability, but i'm not seeing it unless i'm overlooking it!

thanks!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: thinking about provo trip...need some help

Try.. www.wherewhenhow.com click on the map tab

Edited: 03 December 2009, 14:36
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: thinking about provo trip...need some help

exactly the kind of map i was looking for - thanks camke!