We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for 1 day itinerary

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NProv, RI
3 posts
Save Topic
Looking for 1 day itinerary

Staying at Beaches for a week during the summer. We have small kids and are mostly in it to relax. We do want to take a one day ride around the island. I have been checking the posts here and there and it seems like Sapodilla bay and the conch shack are definates. Any other must see's? Chalk sound sounds great, not sure if we have enough time. After reading other posts, now I am wondering if we should scrap the day trip for safety reasons. I know there are Beaches haters and some posters seem to be overly defensive and critical, so I don't want to stir up trouble, but with kids I am not sure how to go about the day trip with these crime issues now. Any advice would be great.

Toronto
Level Contributor
133 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for 1 day itinerary

You can do Sapodilla Bay/Chalk Sound in the morning and have late afternoon lunch at Da Conch Shack. Sapodilla Bay is right in the Chalk Sound area. If you really want an excursion, take a day trip over to North/Middle Caicos!

Mullica Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for 1 day itinerary

Hi longlazydays,

The places you are talking about going to are very safe places for a day excursion. Please enjoy your trip. You do not need to imprison yourself at the resort.

We go many times a year, practice common sense caution, feel entirely comfortable and have a great time.

I haven't really seen Beaches haters here. I have seen people who don't want all inclusives and try to avoid the crowded beach area, but understand Beaches is great for many families and great for TCI.

Mass
Level Contributor
370 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for 1 day itinerary

Long-

That itinerary sounds great, I am doing the same on our trip in July thanks to the seasoned TCI lovers here. I am also concerned with the crime, but I don't feel it is any different than other destinations in the Caribbean. I am certain you will have a great time. I think that this forum is like a family, and the "older" folks tend to be protective of their destination! Their defensiveness comes from a good place! I too will keep a watchful eye on the crime issue, just to be well informed. Enjoy~

NProv, RI
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for 1 day itinerary

Maybe "haters" is too strong of a word but it seems as though some people on here are resentful of big resorts. They don't respond as much to posters asking about Beaches as they do to the mom and pop hotels. Don't get me wrong I like small bed and breakfast types, but I am sure Beaches brings jobs to the island and pays a good amount of taxes. Anyway, is there a good place to buy gifts for family back home on our one day trip out of Beaches?

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for 1 day itinerary

There are really not many mom and pop hotels here. The reason most of us can not respond to Beaches inquirys is that if you are not staying there you are not allowed on the property. So we do not really know what is going on there.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,807 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for 1 day itinerary

To add to Snubagirl's post, I do not believe any of the regulars or DE's on this forum have ever stayed at Beaches, and the only people who can respond to requests about Beaches are people who have stayed there. That is why you see fewer responses.

For gifts there are several shopping plaza's on Grace Bay Road, which is the same road Beaches entrance is on: Salt Mills, Regent Village, Ports of Call. Here is a link from Wherewhenhow magazine which lists some of the shops:

wherewhenhow.com/turks-caicos-islands/…

Enjoy your trip!

Mullica Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for 1 day itinerary

Tis true, without experiencing Beaches it's hard to respond. Sometimes I don't even read the questions if the title says Beaches because I don't know anything about the resort. I know families seem to love it though.

I can understand how that may look. I know Joe (Joe is a DE-njjoebwan) and I haven't done more than walked through their beach.

Good question, have any of the destination experts stayed at Beaches?

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,676 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for 1 day itinerary

I bought a day pass, but couldn't tell you about what restaurants to eat at,inquirys about room types, water sports activities, or any of usual questions that come up. I can tell you the day pass was very expensive, but the kids had fun.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for 1 day itinerary

As far as I know, "Blamona" is the only DE with direct Beaches experience. I wish a regular Beaches visitor would step forward, and volunteer the time to be named a TripAdvisor DE. Any takers?

My wife and I were given a tour of Beaches, eleven years ago, but decided it wasn't for us.

Since then, we've taken our kids to several other resorts across the island, traveled throughout the islands, and have never felt unsafe. Like all of us, I only speak from our personal experiences -- not interested in "hating" or "defending" anything. :-)

IMO, Sapodilla, Chalk Sound and especially Da Conch Shack would make for a nice excursion. You might want to enjoy lunch at Las Brisas, overlooking Chalk Sound, then stop by Da Conch Shack later in the day for a drink and snacks (conch fritters).

I'd also recommend a 1/2 day water excursion with Caicos Dream Tours. They are located on the beach, in front of the Alexandra Resort (next to Beaches).

Hope this helps.

BTW, Aquamarine Beach Houses is the only "mom & pop" accommodations I can think of along Grace Bay. Sorry for the confusion.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
772 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for 1 day itinerary

My response is the same as Camke's, and I live in Grace Bay, there's a lot to do there, not much of it really related to the destination that is TCI, just a resort all-inclusive type experience which is what a lot of people also enjoy. A nice idea might be to just cruise around the Grace Bay strip for a day if you're looking to only explore for a few hours.