We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good taxi drivers

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
good taxi drivers

Do any of you regulars have some favorite taxi drivers with reasonable prices? I am looking to hire someone for a lot of trips and i just read that the WBC has some deal with certain drivers that are more expensive than most!

Any names and/or tel #'s would be really helpful. We had a great driver last year but I can't find his card!

xx GIgi

TCI
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: good taxi drivers

Try Sonny for excellent service. Call 649-231-0658 or 243-7060

Email: son@tciway.tc

Toronto
Level Contributor
243 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good taxi drivers

Remember all taxi drivers charge by the person, not the distance, and there are no meters in the taxis. So, if the driver say, quotes you $15 from Grace Bay to Blue Hills area, he really means $15 per person, for a total of $30 per trip, each way.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good taxi drivers

Capron Taxi - wonderful & personable....honest prices. Highly recommend!

649-946-4261.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good taxi drivers

I would say Ozzy Virgil is hands-down the best there is.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good taxi drivers

We had to use 2 taxis in 2008. We really liked Calvin with Dean Express Taxi #3. He was super nice and has a very comfortable van. If he is still there, you can reach him at (649)241-4109. He also charged less for the same distance ride than Vals Taxi did.

New York
Level Contributor
716 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good taxi drivers

Gigi,

If you find a good taxi driver keep their card and an alternate card. Or use some of the suggestions below. But, I've been going to Provo for over 14 years and I heard that rumor every place I stay. Here is the scoop: The taxi drivers tell you hotels get kick backs so you will call them directly as opposed to the front desk who might call another driver. They want your business.

If you think about it, most of the resorts, charge a pretty hefty price per night, They are not seeking to make an extra $1.00 or $2.00 on a ride. I took one ride one way and it was $9.00 and later that day to get back to where I started was $15. I argued when I arrived and there was no adjustment. I'm sorry I did not get his card to list here.

If there is one thing I do not like about Provo, its that there is not a taxi dispatcher. Make sure you determine the price before you get in the car.

But, for drivers to blame resorts like the Palms or West Bay Club on kick backs is very sad and only takes away from impressions of the local cab drivers and island as a whole. We called for a taxi at a restaurant and it arrived. But another taxi blocked the exit and we couldn't get out. The taxi that blocked us said we called for them and he should drive us. Then another couple came out and said, "there you are" to the other driver". The guy didn't even apologize. Ruthless they can be.

My best bet for you, rent a car. Get a good deal for about $41 a day. One round trip ride for a family of four would cost more than that. Mel2007Toronto was right that they charge per person!

But, the West Bay Club is innocent here and so is the Palms and Sands which I saw in another post accused of the same thing. So, if you are staying at the West Bay Club, fear not and enjoy your vacation.

When I arrive in Provo and exit the airport I, as politely, as I can tell the drivers I rented a car because of how they charge customers. I don't think they get it but I try.

Good luck...

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good taxi drivers

RE: Sonny. This guy charges 4 or 5 times the usual rate for taxi service. When confronted, he says he is not a regulated taxi, but "something else." The government approved fare as of February 2010 is $3 per mile for two passengers and 50% for additional passengers. Be sure to get a tourist map so that you can estimate distances ... the island is small!

Edited: 25 February 2010, 01:22
Miami Beach, Florida
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good taxi drivers

Hands down SONNY'S TAXI...and his son Sonny Jr lol, great guys great personality very honesty knowledgeable...(the best) sonny was also nominated Taxi Driver of the year 2009/2010 he also works with the famous Grace Bay Club Resort and is contracted with alot of other hotels in the island.....just my suggestion....if you ask me all the taxi are good but there are the one S that push a little harder and go out the way for their guest and make it a moment to remember...

Edited: 11 May 2010, 14:00
Miami Beach, Florida
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: good taxi drivers

RE..down2biz frm Dallas, Texas

reviews: 47. Re: good taxi drivers

24 February 2010, 20:20

RE: Sonny. This guy charges 4 or 5 times the usual rate for taxi service. When confronted, he says he is not a regulated taxi, but "something else." The government approved fare..........Mr.Sonny VP of the Provo Taxi assocaiton was one of the guys who sit in the goverment meet and help make up prices..so no 4 or 5 times pricing there Sorry.....

Providenciales
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: good taxi drivers

A friend of mine only uses Elwood when visiting the island. His number is 244 0301. Apparently he went to the shop and bought them bug spray while they were out for dinner! He did this without even being asked.