We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather is historically bad

new jersey
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Weather is historically bad

I am here right now, from March 1 through March 5

The weather is terrible, the water is rough as hell, red flags out every day with 20-30mph winds

My wife and I have gone to 20-25 beach destinations over the past 6 years; I really felt compelled to post a reality check here which is why I went through the effort of purchasing Internet access at Club Med and signing up for tripadvisor because I felt that none of the previous posters on this forum bothered to point out that this is a historically awful season in Turks. Basically, the island is getting battered by all the poor weather that has been hitting the South East US over the past few months.

I am an advanced open water diver, love swimming in the ocean and have gone only on one dive and have not dared to go swimming-sorry but someone has to post the truth around here. The water is cold, I had a 3mm wetsuit on for a 2 minute swim to the diveboat and it was not comfortable

Furthermore, weather has been horrible for at least the last month or so, so this week was nothing new. Its so cold and windy its actually impossible to lay on the beach for more than an hour even if its not raining. If someone had posted an honest review like this before, I would have gladly paid the extra cash and purchased a vacation further south in the Carribean even at the last minute and with no hope of refund for this one to Turks. Per the locals and per a two Americans, (one who has been coming here for 12 yrs, another for over 40 annually) this is the worse winter they have ever experienced in Turks. I sincerely hope things change radically for those coming next week, but given how poor conditions have been for last 2 months I doubt it. If you can't switch locations, at least bring plently of DVDs, warmer clothes for the evening and even perhaps sweatpants if you want to walk the beach during the day

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather is historically bad

This is what I see on the website:

Currently at 4:36PM

More Details

Partly Sunny

Partly Sunny

RealFeel®:77 °F

Is this not accurate?

Washington, D.C.
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather is historically bad

I was there (stayed at the Gansevoort) Feb. 13 thru Feb. 17 and Valentine's Day was the only day with crappy weather. Pretty chilly, windy and just grey all day and rained at some point. The other three days were a bit cloudy until 10a or 11a, then mostly sunny and at least in the upper 70s, if not the 80s. We stayed out on the beach all afternoon until 4:30. My husband and I both get cold pretty easily, so I was worried about the evenings. I never wore my sweater to dinner.

Sorry you're having bad weather now.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,085 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather is historically bad

It has been a strange year for winter weather in TCI and here at home in NJ as well. TCI has been cloudier/more rainy than normal and we have had well over 6 feet of snow when we usually get less than 10 inches in a normal winter.

Must be that climate change thing people warn about now, because global warming isn't very convincing this year.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
375 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather is historically bad

joebwan, you just described Global warming. It can cause extreme weather on both ends. Not only just heat, winters can be extremely cold and rough. The fact that you received 6 feet of snow and usually only have 10 inches is proof in itself that Global Warming is pretty much here and all we can do now is rough out the ride.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
422 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather is historically bad

When it snows 12 inches during one February day in Dallas, I'd say the weather is kind of weird all over!

Sorry your trip has not had the lovely weather that T&C usually does; hopefully your final few days will be nice.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather is historically bad

Psssst - it is winter time here.

Mullica Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather is historically bad

Hey JoeB glad you brought up that subject huh?

Live from the "earth is not broken" camp,

Dash

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
510 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather is historically bad

We were there from 2/14-2/27 and had "unusual" weather for the entire two weeks. We did have sun almost every day but generally only for about half the day. Then the clouds rolled in.....like clockwork. After a few days, we caught on to the cycle and took complete advantage of the sun! Clouds meant napping, drinking, eating, exploring etc....we just had to make the best of it. It's all you can do.

Unlike realdeal1969, we had two weeks so it didn't seem as bad. We were also able to swim every day and snorkel as usual (we didn't have he rough seas). I am sorry for you, truly I feel your pain.

The Caribbean weather has been "unusual" for at least the last 4 years. I was married 4 January's ago on Grenada and the weather was odd there. Since, we have tried a different island each February, and it's been like this every where we go. At first I thought it was following me, but now I'm convinced it's not:)

It is definitley Global warming.....there is no doubt about it.

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather is historically bad

A friend of mine who works for Caicos Adventures told me yesterday that it has been a cold winter water temperature wise.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather is historically bad

Can't tell you the number of times we've traveled (including the Caribbean), and had unexpected, lousy weather.

Such is life. ;-(