We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

doctor and medical facility in Grace Bay - rave

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pembroke Pines...
Level Contributor
62 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
doctor and medical facility in Grace Bay - rave

I've meant to post this rave/review for a long while now. My husband and I travelled to Provo this past January with another couple and their infant daughter. On our last day of vacation, I had a REALLY clumsy and stupid accident in the kitchen of our vacation condo, that resulted in a deep laceration to my hand. I was bleeding a lot and it was obviously a serious injury that would need stitches (uhh, LOTS). It was completely my fault, and I felt like a prize idiot. Anyway, my husband (a doctor) assessed the wound and was really worried about how we would get adequate care for it, not being familiar with the island and the medical facilities. We called our resort concierge and they recommended that we take a taxi to Grace Bay Medical, an urgent care facility which is located in the Neptune Plaza near the Graceway Gourmet IGA, only minutes away. They called us a cab and we dashed over there with my hand wrapped in a towel.

The office was small but clean, and we were taken immediately into the back. Right away I was impressed with the facility, and my husband was blown away. The facility has two or three rooms which are basically fully-stocked OR's, with ventilators, surgical theaters, the works. We were seen by some nurses, and then they called in the doctor whose name is Sam Slattery. He is a British-trained doctor who is staff there, but also rounds at several resorts nearby. Dr. Slattery was extremely kind, professional, patient and meticulous in his assessment and repair of my hand. He made sure all my nerve function was intact and did a thorough exam; my husband was very pleased. The repair took over 2 hours, and required a two-layer closure with about 30 stitches. He was very attentive to my pain threshold and also was concerned about ensuring the hand would remain immobile during my long return travel the next day. He set me up with a splint, bandages, sling, the works.

The fees for all the services weren't cheap, but honestly it was about the same as I would have been billed (or would have been billed to my insurance) back home.

Oh and there's a pharmacy right next door if you need any medications; the doctor put me on some antibiotics to prevent infection, which they procured for me right away next door.

Just wanted to share that if anyone is planning a stay in Grace Bay, you may want to take note that this facility is nearby just in case of an emergency. And if Dr. Slattery is reading this - thanks again for everything. My hand is perfectly healed now!

Beverly...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: doctor and medical facility in Grace Bay - rave

I would agree that Dr Slattery is top-notch. Several years ago, my wife had a back injury and we went over to see him. He assessed her injury and explained the best way to care for better than any American doctor ever had. I highly recommend GBMC and Dr Sam for any emergency care you might need when on island.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: doctor and medical facility in Grace Bay - rave

This is good to know - thanks!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: doctor and medical facility in Grace Bay - rave

A State of Art hospital just opened up on April 10. My husband and I toured the hospital and let me tell you it is as good as any hospital I've been in, in the US

4. Re: doctor and medical facility in Grace Bay - rave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2010, 07:16