We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked 1st trip - Villa Del Mar June 26th-July 4th

AngieCMAN
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booked 1st trip - Villa Del Mar June 26th-July 4th

Hi everyone. I've been lurking on this board for months now. You are all such a huge help and carry a wealth of knowledge regarding T&C. I thought I would post some questions in preparation for our first trip to Provo. We will be flying out of Miami on June 26th and staying on T&C thru July 4th.

CONDO: First off, we are staying at Villa Del Mar in a 2 bedroom condo for the 8 nights. I'm hoping this was a good decision considering their pricing. It was hard to pass up some great rates. I'm aware that there is a 1 minute walk to the beach. Is there anything else we should know about our stay there? How is the internet access? Is there a restaurant or bar on site at all?

EXCURSIONS: We are traveling with our two children. (ages 11 and 7) Are there any boating excursions or trips we should do with them while there? Anything you can think of that we'd miss out on if we didn't do it while visiting the island?

PROVO PONIES: Our 7 year old daughter rides horses. We'd love to book the provo pony tour however I am expecting again with our third child. Do these horses get crazy or go too fast for a pregnant woman or is is a pretty calm ride? How long is the tour itself?

PHOTOGRAPHY: I'm a photographer and can't wait to get there and capture all the island has to offer. Is there anything I MUST see and photograph while there? Any really beautiful beaches, spots, architecture, etc. that stand out in your mind? I know there are several other beaches other than Grace Bay but I didn't know which ones were worth visiting in regards to photography.

RESTAURANTS: We plan to buy groceries for our breakfast and lunches on most days beings that our condo is said to have a full kitchen. However, what are some good casual as well as more pricey places that we can take our children into for dinner? Our daughter has special needs so we need places that are forgiving when it comes to her. Any places that are cheap and inexpensive for a family of four would be great to know about too in case we just need to wing it on some nights.

WEATHER: What is the weather like during the end of June/first of July. Rain usual at this time or not?

AIRPORT & TAXI'S: Is there anything we should watch out for regarding the T&C airport or the taxi options when coming and going from there? What is pricing like for a Taxi to and from Villa Del Mar? How far is VDM from airport?

Thanks so much in advance for all of your help. I realize there are a lot of questions here so I appreciate any of you willing to respond and give your two cents. When traveling with a special needs child it is very important to be prepared for anything and everything. I thought I would try to cover it all in one post.

I'll be sure to post a full report on our visit once we return as well as some beautiful photos should I be able to capture anything when there.

Blessings, Angie

(Naples, Florida)

Mullica Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked 1st trip - Villa Del Mar June 26th-July 4th

Villa Del Mar is awesome. You chose well. No worries at all about that. No restaurant but there is a small pool bar. This feels like a private condo and less like a resort. So quiet & nice. Internet access is there, but it can be spotty.

As a photographer I wouldn't miss North & Middle Caicos. Spectacular!!

Your photo finger will be sore. So much beauty!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked 1st trip - Villa Del Mar June 26th-July 4th

Calico Jacks ( walkable) at the Ports of Call Plaza On Mondays has an all you can eat spaghetti night. Salt Mills Diner at the Salt Mills Plaza is very reasonable for any meal. Wednesday nights is Chicken and Rib night at Tiki Hut. You can also buy rotissiere chickens at the IGA , for back up.

Pictures, The Pastel Buildings at Sailing Paradise in the Blue Hills are a great photo stop, and while you are there Da Chock Shack Restaurant . Chalk Sound on a bright sunny day glows, you don't want to miss that. If you are on a boat trip and head out to Half moon Bay, or near Dellis Cay , so pretty.

Welcome to the forum

Have a great vacation

Edited: 09 May 2010, 02:42
Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,099 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked 1st trip - Villa Del Mar June 26th-July 4th

Villa Del Mar is a great choice, you will be very comfortable there. We have stayed three times so far. The kitchens are very nice so some meals in will be easy, and The Graceway Gourmet grocery store is walkable (about 10 mins each way)

VDM is about 15 minutes from the airport by taxi, and it will cost about $15 per person (they charge per person, not by a meter). You should consider renting a car for at least part of your stay so you can see other parts of the island, especially for photographs. You can get a 4 door Toyota Corolla for about $40/day from Grace Bay Car Rentals, and they will bring it to your resort if you do not want to pick it up at the airport. Driving is on the left, but it is very easy to do.

It is not typically rainy during June/July, but it will be hot and the ocean will be warm.

Have a great trip, and please share your photos when you return!

Edited: 09 May 2010, 03:08
New York
Level Contributor
718 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked 1st trip - Villa Del Mar June 26th-July 4th

Welcome to the island!

Your taxi fare from the airport will be more than the cost of a car rental. Take a taxi the first time from the airport but then rent a car the rest of your trip

Enjoy, you will love it, expecially the pictures....

AngieCMAN
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked 1st trip - Villa Del Mar June 26th-July 4th

Thanks so much everyone! This is all such a HUGE help.

Blessings, Angie

Annapolis
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked 1st trip - Villa Del Mar June 26th-July 4th

I second the opinion that you will love VDM! I was there in March with my daughter and mom and we were very comfortable. The Wifi always worked for my daughter. One evening I tried to use the computer in the reception area and couldn't get on. The woman at the desk let me come behind the counter and use her extra computer ~ customer service at it's finest!

The Graceway Gourmet is an easy walk. We stocked up on breakfast and lunch items, and had two dinners at the Ocean Club West and our final dinner at Grace Bay Club.

The only quibble I had was the 15 dollar per person charge from the airport. Thought that was a tad high... but I understand thats standard and just the way it is.

Enjoy, you'll have a wonderful time. And the beds are ooooh so comfortable!

AngieCMAN
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked 1st trip - Villa Del Mar June 26th-July 4th

Thank you! That is so good to know about the customer service. I appreciate your info.

8. Re: Booked 1st trip - Villa Del Mar June 26th-July 4th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2010, 05:16