We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Robbed!

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report - Robbed!

We arrived to Provo on May 5 and stayed at the Aquarmarine Beach Houses. They were perfect for our family and right next to a children's park. We had a great time on the island and enjoyed the diving (Caicos Adventures, Dive Provo) and snorkeling (Reef Peepers). Swam around with some turtles at Smith's Reef right in front of our house and at the reef at Coral Gardens. Dinner at Magnolia was the best we had on the island. Amazing view and great service/food. The trouble started when we read an article in Discover magazine, a local trourist mag. The article talked about Pirate Cove where you can walk around split rock and see old pirate caves. The area is also called split rock, osprey rock, west harbour bluff. My husband, my mother and my two boys (age 5 and 2) and myself drove out there on an unpaved road. It took about 20-30min. When we got there we saw only one other car that belonged to some locals fishing off the rock. We set up on a deserted beach and spent a lovely two hours playing around the rock and swimming at the shallow beach. It was really beautiful. When we packed up and returned to our car three men with machetes ran out of the brush and surrounded us. They were locals and seemed to be on something. They went through all of our things and stole our cash, credit cards, cameras (even the disposable ones), etc. They gave a speech about how we have so much and they have so little so we shouldn't mind giving them our money. The incident lasted for about 10 min. and then they finally ran off. We found out shortly after that they had also robbed another couple we had seen earlier walking on the beach. We reported the incident to the police, but nothing much was done about it that we could tell. We asked for a copy of the police report we gave and three days later we still didn't have it and nobody seemed to know what we were talking about. Provo was a nice island, but we will not be returning there...ever!

nyc
Level Contributor
210 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Robbed!

Wow, I am so sorry to hear this! We have been to Provo at least 15 times and NEVER had any problems whatsoever. I understand your feelings, but please know this is not normal for the island.

Herndon, VA
Level Contributor
731 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Robbed!

All I can say is that I'm sorry that your family had to go through something like that.

Ed

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Robbed!

Terrible, just terrible. I am sorry your family had to go through that.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Robbed!

Can't blame you for not wanting to return. That's a terrible, tramatic experience.

Thankfully, no one was hurt.

New York
Level Contributor
718 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Robbed!

This is terrible.... I am glad you and your family are ok, but I am so disappointed in this. Any of you Destination experts have any advice, do you know of a central tourist board that can follow up on this? Anyone or agency in the UK?

This had to be addressed

Western Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
212 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Robbed!

So sorry to hear about your experience. With the kids, I can't imagine your fear and frustration. Thankfully, every one stayed cool and no one was touched.

PORT JEFFERSON NEW...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Robbed!

I am so sorry that this happened to your family. Truly no one expects this type of incident when your on vacation.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Robbed!

I am so very sorry you experienced this. I cannot imagine being in this situation myself let alone having my children of 5 and 2 there as well.

Some may say I am blaming the victim but please......don't take my next statement as such.

The first thing I tell EVERYONE when traveling, even in my own beach resort town. BE CAREFUL, don't go to out of the way places and stay away from "cozy, romantic, deserted, isolated stretches of beach" WHY? Because there is usually a reason why they are deserted, isolated stretches of beach.

Driving down an unpaved road 30 minutes to arrive at an unpopulated deserted beach would have been sending warning signals to my gut about 10 minutes in. Maybe I am just overly cautious, but I would have checked with some trusted locals before I even started out on this adventure. Unless I know an area like my own hometown I am not driving down unpaved deserted roads with my family of toddlers and elderly mother in tow.

Thank the Heavens your Guardian Angel was on duty.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Robbed!

This probably happens nearly every day at this location. Very little press is given for these type of things, because of potential devestating effects of publicizing this. It frankly does not surpose me that the police appeared to not know what you were talking about when it comes to getting the report. It is much easier to keep a "low crime rate" in the TCI by not actually lodging the crime reports than by actually catching the perps.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
798 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Robbed!

"nearly every day" ?

Wow....