We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few technical questions as I finalize plans

Mass
Level Contributor
380 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
A few technical questions as I finalize plans

Getting super excited to head to TCI in just over a month! Wanted to know the best way to manage some details.

1) Do people bring car seats to TCI? I don't want to lug it around, but we are renting a car for 2 days, will GBCR have one for us?

2) How does child care work at Beaches if you want to go snorkeling? Are you allowed to leave the property to go on excursions? (Not even sure I can do that as a mom??)

3) We are taking a day trip to North/Middle Caicos one day -- any good itineraries? Next day we are going to do the Chalk sound, Taylor, Sapodilla, Conch Shack and Las Brisas itinerary. Does this sound like a good plan with our family? (mom, dad, 9 yr old and 14 month old) Should we scrap one of the day trips and do Iguana Island with both kids? Wonder if that will work with the baby?

Thanks for any guidance, I love to plan my vacays, but I always stay open to new ideas and a little spontaneity!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A few technical questions as I finalize plans

Loved having lunch at Da Conch Shack. However, did the Caicos Dream Tours half day snorkeling and conch dive excursion which also included a stop on Iguana Island. We only saw 2 small iguanas and 1 kite surfer. Not sure I would plan a whole day there.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A few technical questions as I finalize plans

Of course you can leave the property whenever you want.

I would ck with beaches on the age of your child. They do have part day kid clubs so you can go and do what you want.

Iguana Island tour only lasts about 10mins. Most snorkel tours take you there for a stop off. There is a $10 extra charge for going on the tour.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few technical questions as I finalize plans

"Are you allowed to leave the property to go on excursions?"

"We are taking a day trip to North/Middle Caicos one day"

umm....

Connecticut
Level Contributor
268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A few technical questions as I finalize plans

Last year my grandkids came down and GBCR provided 2 car seats for the 5 year old and the 6 mos. old for FREE. I gave them the kids' ages and weights. The seats were adequate, but not as up-to-date as you may have at home. It depends on what you will accept for a car seat. My daughter was fine with it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A few technical questions as I finalize plans

I believe you meant leave the kids behind to snorkel at Bight Reef? Sure, If they're in some sort of supervised program. Bight Reef is only a couple 100 yards down the beach from the resort.

You'll definitely want a car seat for a 14-month-old. Seems like we brought ours with us -- all those many years ago. As he grew older, we requested a booster from AVIS. You can always check with GBCR, and see what's available.

Your nine-year-old will love it, but I'm wondering if the North / Middle Caicos excursion is a little too ambitious for a 14-month-old. You know your kids best.

Level Contributor
2,040 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few technical questions as I finalize plans

Scuba Dave...I believe she was asking if you can leave the property while your child is in childcare at Beaches.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
243 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few technical questions as I finalize plans

I agree with CaribDesi about North/Middle, unless you just plan on plunking down on one of the wonderful beaches. Its a bit of driving to get between places, which might not keep the kids interest. If you decide to go, drive up to Middle and then work backwards so you are heading towards TCI ferry, instead of racing back to it at the end of the day. Bambara Beach is a nice calm, shallow beach and would likely be great for kids. Just don't let them walk around near the Tiki Huts in bare feet or sandals, as there is a lot of broken glass on the ground from what appears to be late night partying... Mudjin Harbor is beyond beautiful, but the surf may be a bit too much for a 9 year old...

Mass
Level Contributor
380 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few technical questions as I finalize plans

LOL, Dave you seem confused, I guess I wasn't clear enough. I was wondering if we are allowed to leave the property while our child is in childcare. Sorry :)

Ambitious is my middle name, I think the ferry thing will push my little guy over the edge after a day in the hot sun and driving. I may just stick to exploring Provo.

Thanks for the info CT, I will ask when I book for a car seat. As long as it works and is safe, I am fine with whatever they have.

Luv- that sounds disappointing, sorry to hear that. I have read a few posts now that said Iguana Island is not the same. I hope the tourist boom isn't affecting the Iguana population.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few technical questions as I finalize plans

We are renting a car through AVIS and they have car seats. It is normally $5 a day, but they threw one in for free for our ten day stay since we rented two cars!

West Virginia
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few technical questions as I finalize plans

We are renting a car through AVIS and they have car seats. It is normally $5 a day, but they threw one in for free for our ten day stay since we rented two cars!