We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Card/ Debit Card use on the Island?

La Mirada...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Credit Card/ Debit Card use on the Island?

If I were to bring my debit card (Chase bank) and were to use if at restuarants, bars, etc.. would I be charged a high service charge of anything like that?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Card/ Debit Card use on the Island?

Regardless of service charges, most financial advisors warn against using debit cards while traveling abroad (here in the States for that matter). Your chances of re-claiming mistaken "charges" are virtually none, since the money is gone from your account.

Good luck.

Edited: 22 June 2010, 02:09
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Card/ Debit Card use on the Island?

First you should check with your bank. Certain cards charge a fee for using them out of the country. Since most debit cards are linked through a credit card company (Am/Ex, Mastercard, Visa) they may charge you extra. My credit cards through citibank charge 3% out of the U.S.

I was able to use my credit card at most places with out being charged a fee from the vendor. The only exception was Crusin Caribbean (the ferry to North Caicos and also seadoo rentals).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
243 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Card/ Debit Card use on the Island?

I was not charged anything but my SO was although it was cheap -like 12 cents for each transaction.

denver, co
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Card/ Debit Card use on the Island?

I was in Provo for two weeks in May 2010 and tried to use my credit card as often as I could (love to rack up the travel miles). I did forget to call the CC Co's. and tell them that I would be in TCI for two weeks. Much to my surprise, I had NO problems except American Express. They wouldn't allow any charges until I called. Rather then call them, I just used VISA and Master Cards for the rest of the trip with, no problems.

I strongly suggest if you are going to travel out of the country, you call the CC and tell them

Boxford...
Level Contributor
43 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit Card/ Debit Card use on the Island?

Watch out for service charges. We had no problems using either our Mastercard or American Express Card. Citi charged me 3% for every transaction while Amex didn't charge anything.

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit Card/ Debit Card use on the Island?

I always pay cash unless it's at my resort. Why? I've had my number stolen not once , but twice while out of the country. You'd think I would have learned the first time. My bank said that if the card leaves your sight even for a minute you are at risk for theft. So we carry cash.

Level Contributor
2,040 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit Card/ Debit Card use on the Island?

We used our debit card to book our resort and then cash only once we got to T & C. Most resturants we went to took your card somewhere awayfrom the dining area and came back with it several minutes later. We are not comfortable with that arrangement.

Milltown, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit Card/ Debit Card use on the Island?

I would not use a debit card. We met a woman while we were there last week who had charged a $100 dinner at Hemmingways on her debit card. She checked her bank account while in the hotel and noticed that she was charged the the $100 10 times. She had a hard time contacting the manager, and when she did he told her that they had not recieved any money from her account yet. She told him the $1000 had been taken out of her account. He told her to come into the restaurant to dispute it. She asked him if he was going to pay her the $20 cab fare and he said no. She left Provo hoping that the sitaution would be cleared up when she got home. I will never know the outcome. The big problem was that she wrote all her bills before going on vacation and she was worried that she would be stuck with a ton of bank fees for overdrawn checks. Nanette or Kim, if you read this please contact me through a prvate message on here. I meant to get your email address before you left.

Columbus, Ohio
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit Card/ Debit Card use on the Island?

Great Question. We just got a Capital One Visa card for this purpose alone. THEY HAVE NO INTERNATIONAL SURCHARGE!!!!

We just figured this out after the additional fees we discovered after using cards all over the island. Enjoy!

Milltown, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit Card/ Debit Card use on the Island?

We always use our American Express and there are no fees either and I know AMEX would back us up if there was a problem.. The only problem is that when we get the bill our mail box is "smoking hot". LOL