We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight layover on way to Provo?

Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight layover on way to Provo?

We are flying on Americn Airlines to TCI next month and have an overnight layover in Miami. Does anyone know if we will be allowed to retrieve our checked luggage?

Michigan
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight layover on way to Provo?

Yes - you will have to claim your luggage, and re-check it in the next morning. The airlines won't hold your luggage overnight. Enjoy the trip!!

arizona
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight layover on way to Provo?

We have overnighted in Miami twice going to the Caribbean with American Airlines (first time to Curacao, second time to TCI). Both times, our luggage was checked through to the final destination. First time caught us off guard, but the next time I packed PJs and a change of clothes in our carry-ons.

On the way back, we did collect our luggage in Miami for customs and then recheck it for the other flights.

Hope this helps,

azislandgirl

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
maryland
Level Contributor
5,314 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight layover on way to Provo?

Any one else know the answer to this question. There seems to be two different experiences. We will also call the airlines, but I am not really very confident that the person will be giving me accurate info.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,511 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight layover on way to Provo?

Really depends on how you check them in.

I fly out of DC area, and if I overnight, I usually just check in thru where I'm overnighting.

Quite frankly, I usually only travel with carry ons anyway. So when you check in for the flight, just check it through Miami.

Level Contributor
2,040 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight layover on way to Provo?

The most accurate info you got is put clothes/toilitries in your carry-on just in case. Be prepared. Miami is a very crowded busy hub. Seems that just dealing with a carry-on would be the easiest anyway.

maryland
Level Contributor
5,314 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight layover on way to Provo?

Airline said they will check it through to Miami then recheck the next day to Provo. We will see what happens. I always pack stuff in case luggage gets lost so I guess it really doesn't matter. Not thrilled with flying through Miami, but the last two trips to the Turks through Charlotte were miserable both coming and going. We only travel mid week now, so hopefully not so horrible.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight layover on way to Provo?

Can you tell me what was so miserable about flying through Charlotte? We are going from Raleigh to Charlotte to Provo. We thought this a better choice over Miami...which the next time I "have to" go through Miami, I will wear a t-shirt with a picture of my ID/drivers license on it. Miami is ridiculous.

maryland
Level Contributor
5,314 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight layover on way to Provo?

it wasn't Charlotte that was the problem. It was the airlines and having to make connecting flights. Both coming and going there was mechanical trouble. Then they would find a plane , but no pilot who knew how to fly it and various other problems. I know this happens, but two years in row. They gave us no information. Didn't know where our bags would end up. Because no one knew. We had more than enough time to make connections and never made them. So i guess what I dont want to do is depend on making a connection on my way to the islands. Going through Miami in the middle of a week day and not having to worry about making a connection makes for a happier start to my vacation. Of course this only works if you have the extra time. So dont worry about my post, Charlotte is a breeze if all goes well. We may hate doing it this way and go back to flying Charlotte in April.

maryland
Level Contributor
5,314 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight layover on way to Provo?

ooopppsss that didn't make sense. We are staying the night in Miami and flying to Provo next morning.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight layover on way to Provo?

We stayed near Bayside in Miami about two years ago before taking our cruise. The Holiday Inn there is a good location to walk across the street and enjoy the Bayside...restaurants/shops/marina. We enjoyed it.