We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling Alone

ma
Level Contributor
129 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling Alone

Thinking of going to Grace Bay by myself in February. I am in my mid fifties, and have traveled in the US alone frequently. Is it safe to be alone and what hotel/resort do you recommend. I was thinking Comfort Inn or maybe Club Med.

Mentioned in this post
Grace Bay
Grace Bay
6,102 Reviews
Providenciales
Oakley, California
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling Alone

I have traveled alone twice and LOVE it! It's safe as long as you follow the same rules you would follow in your own city. Don't walk the beach in the middle of the night, stick to well lit roads in populated areas, carry a cell phone, leave the jewelry and wads of cash at home....

What is your budget? We can help you more on accomadations if we have some idea on that.

ma
Level Contributor
129 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling Alone

I have to go low budget. Since I am a teacher, I have to travel during the most expensive week of the winter. The flights are awfully expensive, therefore, I have to find some reasonable accomodations. I thought the Comfort Inn looked reasonable. Not planning on getting a car. I think it is near some shops and a market. I thought Club Med because it is all-inclusive, but I am open for all ideas.

Oakley, California
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling Alone

You could also try Grace Bay Suites

http://gracebaysuites.com/index.php

It's not right on the beach but it's in a good location close to restaurants and shops.

It looks like the studio rooms have kitchenettes so you could eat some meals in to cut down on cost. I have always bought stuff for most lunches and all my breakfasts so I could save money to spend on dinners.

I'd also suggest renting a car for just a day. You can get a budget one for around $40 a day from Grace Bay Car Rentals and you can use that day to go exploring on the other sides of the island. You just miss out on so much if you don't. Chalk Sound is not to be missed, and you can hit up Sapodilla and Taylor Bays at the same time.

Mentioned in this post
Grace Bay Suites
Grace Bay Suites
270 Reviews
Providenciales
Grace Bay
Grace Bay
6,102 Reviews
Providenciales
Chalk Sound
Chalk Sound
1,187 Reviews
Providenciales
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling Alone

You could also look into Sibonne. It won't break the bank and it is located directly on beautiful Grace Bay Beach. The accommodations are more like a basic hotel than some of the condo style places to stay, but the location can't be beat. It also has a terrific restaurant onsite, Bay Bistro, and within walking distance to many other great restaurants. Hope this helps.

http://sibonne.com

Mentioned in this post
Sibonne Beach Hotel
Sibonne Beach Hotel
558 Reviews
Providenciales
Grace Bay
Grace Bay
6,102 Reviews
Providenciales
Bay Bistro
Bay Bistro
2,601 Reviews
Providenciales
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,158 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling Alone

My first trip to Provo was solo and I really enjoyed it. I found restaurants much more expensive than other Islands I visit, having a kitchenette would have been a plus since a light breakfast is all I want. Also making iced tea, coffee etc and having cold beer/wine on the balcony in the afternoon saves so much. It is really worth it to rent a car and explore a bit if only for a day. Go to Blue Hills and relax at Da Conch Shack or the restaurant next door or both! Be sure to have a bathing suit to enjoy a walk on the very quiet beach and a swim. Very chill atmosphere and reasonable prices make for a great afternoon and people seem a bit more friendly in the setting there.

Mentioned in this post
da Conch Shack
da Conch Shack
3,411 Reviews
Providenciales
chattanooga tn
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling Alone

I went alone in May and stayed at the Ocean Club West and booked through cheapcaribbean.com, which includes airfare. My room had a refrigerator, microwave, and 2 eye stove. I cooked in and used the grill and ate out some. Eating out can be expensive. The OCW is well-located and I felt safe there.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Club West
Ocean Club West
917 Reviews
Providenciales
Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,567 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling Alone

You would definitely be safe at the Club Med. They have their own security team and I have never seen any problems there. We just got back from our 10 visit to the Club Med and, as usual, met several singles (male and female) in their 40s - 50s.

If you like being active and meeting people, you would have a great time. if you are looking for elegant/luxurious accommodations, you would disappointed.

Make sure you check the Club Med specials closely; the "regular prices" are high but there is practically always a good special in effect. A good Club Med knowledgeable travel agent can help with this.

NC
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling Alone

I stayed at Club Med last April. I went alone. (Female, 41). I didn't feel unsafe at all. The all inclusive bit was a big point for me (and my budget). I brought a little bit of money for extras and meals for the trip to and from, but that was it. I liked there was so surpises. There is a manned security gate at the street entrance and security ride bicycles around the property all the time. You'll get a bracelet at check in (mine was bright blue at the time) so it's pretty obvious if you see someone without one they don't belong. Have a great time. I wish I was going back.

Hummelstown, pa
Level Contributor
297 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling Alone

Hi There,

I might suggest you take a look at Skyauction.com

I booked my stay through them and saved a lot of money.

Few selections but one of your hotels you mentioned is listed. Very cheaply too. Just a thought. Have fun.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling Alone

After spending so much to get there, I'd much rather stay on the beach, no matter which accommodations you choose.

The Comfort Suites is located across the street, behind a strip shopping center.