We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Cottage @ Ocean Point Taylor Bay Dec 11-19 2010

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
The Cottage @ Ocean Point Taylor Bay Dec 11-19 2010

We stayed for the fifth time at The Cottage (aka Stone’s Throw) on Ocean Point/Taylor Bay, rented through www.tcvillas.com. Details about The Cottage are here: http://www.tcvillas.com/stones_throw/

We love the casual comfort of this little one bedroom place, and also love the different experience Taylor Bay gives you.

The day we arrived was sunny and beautiful with almost no breeze, and our first stop was lunch at Las Brisas on Chalk Sound. Food was great, view was awesome, and we were happy to be back.

Since we had a late lunch we did the grocery shopping trip after watching a gorgeous sunset floating on Taylor Bay in our kayak we store with a friend on island. We then had tapas and drinks at The Deck at Seven Stars. The Deck has become our favorite place to grab a cocktail and lounge on Grace Bay. They expanded it, added another bar, and more seating since the last time we were there.

Food…

We ate dinner at The Vix in Regent Village one night and enjoyed it. Our first visit last December was underwhelming, but this was very good. I had the lamb shank and it was fall off the bone tender and spicy.

We ate lunch at the new Pelican Bay restaurant at Royal West Indies. Dash (wife) has declared their hand formed burger and hand cut fries the best on Provo, and believe me she has had a burger at every restaurant that has one on the menu we have been to. Food and service were great all the way around, and it is a nice replacement for Mango Reef, which we will definitely try at their new location next trip.

We ate dinner at the new Caicos Café after seeing Ziggy’s review and it was awesome! Seriously, this is now one of the best restaurants on Provo IMO. Food is Italian, service and presentation were great, and prices are similar to the former Caicos Café. They have the highest quality, fair priced, wine by the glass menu on the island. We will be back.

For us, no trip to Provo is complete without eating at Coco Bistro. Great food, great atmoshere, great service, as always.

Fun…

We day tripped over to North Caicos one day, ate a great lunch at The Silver Palms in Whitby, and hung out on the beach until a shower came. We then went to the Barracuda Beach Bar at The Pelican Beach Hotel and had a couple of drinks and snacks with owner Clifford Gardiner, a couple visiting from the UK, and a couple of future PHD grad students that were staying at Bottle Creek Lodge. We were almost willing to miss the ferry and stay to hear the stories everyone had to tell.

We treated ourselves to massages at The Spa at The Regent Palms, which were great. We were hoping the buck a minute deal was still going on, but even though it wasn’t it was well worth the splurge.

We rented a dingy from Outback Adventures and explored some of the southern side of the island. The boat was too small for some of the waves we went through and took on some water, but luckily it came with a bailer so we stayed afloat!

Our last full day was spent on a half day cruise/sail on the Atabeyra (www.suncharters.tc) Beautiful weather, great water clarity for snorkeling, and great service from the crew lead to a very memorable day. They also had their Boxer puppy Layla on board for dog lovers like us.

The rest of the time we hung out at The Cottage, kayaked, walked the beach, and met up with on island friends.

Some pictures are here: http://jbwdashtcipics.shutterfly.com/ in the album TCI December 2010.

We’ll be back in mid February for a week on North, three days on Parrot Cay, and one night on Provo…

Happy holidays everyone!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Cottage @ Ocean Point Taylor Bay Dec 11-19 2010

Great trip report! Love the photos. The sunsets from Taylor bay look awesome.

Glad you had yet another wonderful trip. I'm jealous you already have your next trip planned. One of these times we are bound to overlap!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Cottage @ Ocean Point Taylor Bay Dec 11-19 2010

Great pictures and trip report! Looks like we'll have to make a point of getting to Taylor Bay next trip......it looks absolutely stunning! The Cottage looks adorable!

Caicos Cafe - With all the thumbs up lately, we'll definately plan on going there for dinner next time.

Thanks for posting!!

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Cottage @ Ocean Point Taylor Bay Dec 11-19 2010

Sounds like you had another wonderful trip...Tcimike and I return next month...will for sure check out Caicos Cafe as well.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Cottage @ Ocean Point Taylor Bay Dec 11-19 2010

Did you see me wave getting off the plane?

thanks for the report and pictures-looking forward to seeing you again on a future trip!

Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Cottage @ Ocean Point Taylor Bay Dec 11-19 2010

Glad to hear you and Dash had another great trip, thanks for the photos! We'll miss bumping into you this year, as we have made other plans. Enjoy your Feb stay!

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Cottage @ Ocean Point Taylor Bay Dec 11-19 2010

Thanks for all the nice comments!

Yeah Blamona, I saw you wave. I tried to meet you on the tarmac with an ice cold Turks Head, but security stopped me. ; )

Edited: 23 December 2010, 13:18
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Cottage @ Ocean Point Taylor Bay Dec 11-19 2010

Thanks for your trip report and pictures! Stone's Throw looks like a great place to stay for us when after we start traveling without the kids. That is a great shot of the osprey at Osprey Rock! Glad to hear you had another wonderful trip!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Cottage @ Ocean Point Taylor Bay Dec 11-19 2010

I really enjoyed your trip report and photos! My husband asked me on our last trip if maybe it was time to venture away from Grace Bay and stay in a villa so now with your link, I have some researching to do. :)

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,080 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Cottage @ Ocean Point Taylor Bay Dec 11-19 2010

This is a good example of how you can have a great time with less than ideal weather. I was pounding the table trying to convince every guest I met wrapped in a towel ;) to rent a car and go to Taylor Bay at least for a day and I think I only succeeded once.

Looks like you had an amzing time and glad you liked Caicos Cafe. Agree about the wine. I normally just order one glass (if I dont order a bottle), this time I had 2. Maybe its time for the WhereWhenHow lady to pay a visit ;)

Vienna, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Cottage @ Ocean Point Taylor Bay Dec 11-19 2010

Thank you for this post and the pictures. We are looking to go there and I am looking at a boutique hotel on Grace Bay Beach.....it is so hard to decide~Posts and true input is always helpful. I will have to check our Parrot Cay also