We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

T&C advice (Caribbean 1st timers)

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
402 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
T&C advice (Caribbean 1st timers)

My partner and I are thinking about booking a trip to T&C for July. It will be our first trip to the Caribbean. We're looking at the Gansevoort hotel in Providenciales. It looks beautiful and modern.

This will be a different kind of vacation for us. We never stay in hotels/resorts; we usually rent homes through VRBO or Home Away. Our two favorite things about vacations are the food and aimlessly exploring the local towns. I am a bit worried if we'll be able to enjoy those things when staying at a resort.

Here are my questions:

1.If we stay in Providenciales, will we be in resort central? Will it be possible/easy to explore the local towns? Are there little towns? We don't want to be confined to a hotel for a week.

2. Are there local/small places to eat? Of course, I'm sure the resorts have wonderful food, but we'd really like to "eat where the locals eat."

3. Anyone stayed at Gansevoort? The TA reviews are all favorable. Though, we're open to suggestions!

Thanks so much for your help!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: T&C advice (Caribbean 1st timers)

Start by going to wherewhenhow.com it is full of useful information on Provo, accommodations, restaurants,shopping and maps of all the islands. Sounds like island hopping (middle caicos,north cacios etc.) would be your best bet, that and exploring other parts of Provo (chalk sound, taylor bay). There really is not a "resort central" on Provo as most of the resorts are spread along Geace Bay. Yes lots of locals places to eat, da'conch shack and flamingos just to name two. There is also a dining guide link at wherewhenhow.com. You should rent a car to explore the island.

Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: T&C advice (Caribbean 1st timers)

Being a 1st timer to provo, I think Gansevoort would be a good fit. Island exploration (IMO) probably would be best limited to provo. Rent a car,get out, get around. You also want to do what the main thing Provo is famous for, hanging on the beach and water. There is plenty of places to go and see.

You def do not want to be overwhelmed!

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: T&C advice (Caribbean 1st timers)

My wife and I visited Provo last April. It was our second time in 10 years, my third in 20 years. T&C is great for lots of reasons, but aside from the resort shopping district in Grace Bay one does not go exploring T&C/Provo on foot per se. We stayed in a rental home in Turtle Cove, which I would do again in heart beat. Aside from walking around the Turtel Cove neighborhood and small adjoining waterfront commercial area there isn't much else. But it's a nice early morning walk to shake off the cobwebs.

Wherever you stay, villa, or a resort, and if you like to have a look around I'd suggest renting a car. The island is fairly tiny, and frankly the interior isn't much to look at. Flat, scub brush, litter everywhere, potcakes (local mangy dogs - I intend someday to adopt one). The beauty lies outward - towards the sea. OMG. Drive out to Malcom Roads Beach then have lunch at the Amanyara. One day drive out to Taylor Bay and Sapodilla Bay beaches and have lunch at Las Brisas. Drive along the Blue Hills Road on a sunny day and delight in the fantastic shades of blue and green and have lunch at one of the local fish joints. And, be sure to visit the Conch Shack. Yeah it's a trap, but what a unique trap it is.

If you dive be sure an plan a couple of days of diving. For sure some of the best diving in the Caribbean (yeah, I know it isn't the Caribbean). Go with Flamingo Divers. Small Boat dives - meaning it's not a cattle call and they visit the better places regularly.

We dined at the Gansevoort one night, which was nice. The resort appears to be very schwank and brand new. However, there isn't much to walk, aside from a long stroll on the beach.

Cheers

toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: T&C advice (Caribbean 1st timers)

To the previous posting, you mentioned that you visited Turks last April. How was the weather in April?...we plan to go in early April and I hope we don't have to worry about the weather at that time ( since my hsuband loves it hot) .... people have been mentioning that the weather has been awful laterly in Turks, so I hope we are safe in April :))

Thanks

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: T&C advice (Caribbean 1st timers)

Last April the weather was fantastic. Aside from the occasional passing tropical shower there was only one day of rain the week we stayed there. It was windy but the temps were around 80 every day.

I recall a lot of people complaining about how cold it was last winter. Last year’s cool weather wasn’t just a T&C phenomenon. It was cooler than normal all the way from South Florida to Barbados.

T&C is closer to the Bahamas so it’s not typically going to be as hot as it is in the Caribbean. The same holds true for the water. While the water in the Lesser Antilles is in low 80’s, T&C water is in the high 70’s. It’s very pleasant, but it’s not like Caribbean bath water.

Generally speaking, and at least from my experience, April weather is fine in the region.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
402 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: T&C advice (Caribbean 1st timers)

Thanks for all of the advice!

I'm typically a little gun shy when it comes to booking a vacation, and this really helps!

It seems like T&C may be a great first trip to the Caribbean!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,680 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: T&C advice (Caribbean 1st timers)

I went to the Turks and Caicos about 17-18 years ago and haven't been to another island in the Caribbean since.... Just saying ...it maybe the only island you'll want to visit in the Caribbean, even though T&C is not really in the Caribbean.

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: T&C advice (Caribbean 1st timers)

Camke,

ditto

Every other place seems to have not quite measured up............ :)

Level Contributor
2,040 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: T&C advice (Caribbean 1st timers)

There isn't any bad time to go to T & C in my opinion. the is always something to do no matter the weather!

10. Re: T&C advice (Caribbean 1st timers)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2011, 06:20