We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving on the left...

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orangeville, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving on the left...

We will be staying at OCW in February and our family of 6 will be renting a van from Grace Bay Car rentals for a couple of days. I must say, Todd from Grace Bay Car rentals was really quick to respond to my e-mails and very helpful.

This will be the first time driving on the left for my husband and he is a little nervous about it. How is traffic and driving conditions in Provo? I stayed at Club Med 10 years ago so I know that the island is much quieter than many other Caribbean destinations. My hubby is a good driver but I imagine will be extra cautious while he gets used to driving on the left. Any words of encouragement I can pass on to him?

Carol

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving on the left...

To the left ,to the left...Just think of that song, and don't turn on the windshield wipers when you want to use your directional. If I can do it anyone can.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,647 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving on the left...

You have no idea how many times I turned the wipers by mistake.

You just need to remember one rule - right turn hard, left easy. thats all

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
478 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving on the left...

Make sure you let them know if you want a car with the steering wheel on the right or left of the car. We didn't even think about it and got a car with the wheel on the right. It was fine but totally unexpected.

It took a bit to get used to but it was fine. The more you learn your way around Provo the easier it gets!

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
750 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving on the left...

I find that at least twice during a trip...i get into the wrong side of the car. Usually someone sees me and I'm embarrassed.

Peachland, Canada
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving on the left...

No worries It's easy !! I had been to Provo a number of times but never driven a car on the left and so chose to be the driver since I knew my way around a bit and my husband hadn't been there before. I LOVED driving on the left !! It was so fun AND once I got used to it I looked for ANY excuse to take the car out !! LOL yea you will put on the wipers instead of the turn signal and you may get honked at once or twice at a round-about... but don't worry traffic is pretty light and not crazy to NA standards !!

Hummelstown, pa
Level Contributor
291 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving on the left...

And Todd will show you where the quarter slot is.

The slot you put a quarter in everytime you turn the windshield wipers on instead of the turn signal. I left some change there last time. LOL. Really people don't drive fast and it is no problem whatsoever.

Edited: 31 December 2010, 17:46
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving on the left...

"To the left, to the left" - That's all I thought about when I was driving! So much so that the first time I drove when I got back home I couldn't understand why the car coming towards me was in my lane - oh no, to the right, to the right!!!!

And I thought I was the only one turning on the wipers all the time!!!

Enjoy, it's easy after the first time...just watch out for some of the traffic circles!

Happy New Years everyone!! Hope 2011 brings a vacation to paradise for everyone!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving on the left...

I've never driven while there - too chicken so far but I vow to give it a try the next time. My husband does what everyone else does - repeats "left, left, left" many times before pulling out of a parking space and is just extra cautious at the roundabouts.

Antioch, Illinois
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving on the left...

One great piece of advise that I got while travelling in Europe.

Always Keep your (the driver) body to the strip down the middle of the road.

If you

Remember this you will do just fine...

Antioch, Illinois
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving on the left...

One great piece of advise that I got while travelling in Europe.

Always Keep your (the driver) body to the strip down the middle of the road.

If you

Remember this you will do just fine...