We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to T&C - a couple of questions - help please!

New Jersey, USA
6 posts
Save Topic
1st time to T&C - a couple of questions - help please!

My husband and I, along with our 2 children (4 and 6), are heading to Seven Stars Resort in February. This is our first time to the island and trying to figure out the taxi vs. rental car decision. We will go to dinner off the property at least 5 nights of the week. Does anyone know how the taxis charge for children? Is it the same per person fare as an adult?

Also, from Seven Stars, I know we can walk to the new grocery store. Can we walk to resorts like Point Grace and The Somerset or is it to far? If yes, can we walk along the beach?

Thanks so much!!

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to T&C - a couple of questions - help please!

In my opinion renting a car is the best thing you can do as it gives you the freedom to explore the island and allows you to come and go as you please. You can get a rental from Grace Bay Car Rentals for as little as 39.00 per day. I'd say if you are going to venture out to dinner at least 5 night the rental is the less expensive way to go. Taxi charges are per person, each way and even if the kids aren't charged you could be looking at 15.00-20.00 per adult each way. Rent the car, you won't be sorry.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to T&C - a couple of questions - help please!

You can walk along the beach to Point Grace and the Somerset from Seven Stars. It's a nice walk but it may be a little far for the kids especially The Somerset. If you are up for walking there are many resorts you can walk to on the beach.

I also recommend renting a car at least for a few days. If you don't feel comfortable driving, there are some taxi companies that come recommended by some here on TA. (They use the same taxi driver all week)

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,743 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to T&C - a couple of questions - help please!

Rent a car for 2 days at least. one day go to the conch shack and on the other go to Taylor bay and lunch at Las Brisas (closed on Tuesday). Its very easy and you will thank us that you did once you see taylor bay and the view from las Brisas

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to T&C - a couple of questions - help please!

I would recommend renting a car. It provides you much more freedom to explore or go to places not within walking distance. Taxis are expensive. We have used Grace Bay Car rentals many times www.gracebaycarrentals.com/ The cars are older, but in good condition. Their rates are reasonable and customer service is great.

New Jersey, USA
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to T&C - a couple of questions - help please!

Thanks so much for replying, I really appreciate all your feedback!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to T&C - a couple of questions - help please!

Just keep in mind that taxis charge per person.

It's not uncommon for us to meet families of four who (after taking a taxi from the airport, and out to dinner) have already spent $100 or more during their first eight hours on the island.

During a recent visit, we told a family about Grace Bay Car Rentals, and they were very appreciative. They mentioned that their travel agent told them there was no need to rent a car -- of course, the travel agent had never actually visited the TCI.

7. Re: 1st time to T&C - a couple of questions - help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2012, 05:20