We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

somerset vs. regent palms-which is nicer?

virginia
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
somerset vs. regent palms-which is nicer?

which resort is nicer? we have stayed in a 1 bedroom oceanview suite at the palms before and loved it. curious as to what the 1 bedroom oceanview suite at the somerset is like? how do the two suites compare, decor wise etc. also how does service between the two compare?

like the fact that somerset isn't as big, and appears to be a bit quieter. the property looks lovely in photos, and several years ago when we were there we did walk up and take a look at the pool area, also beachfront at the somerset definitely seemed much less crowded than at the palms. what would you expect it would be like over easter? super crowded?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: somerset vs. regent palms-which is nicer?

We enjoy both of these resorts -- they make a great "side-by-side" combo.

As far as overall resort atmospheres go, you've pretty much answered your own questions. :-)

Hopefully, someone else can offer one-bedroom comparisons. We stayed at a Somerset English Cottage (greatly enjoyed it), and have also seen a couple of Regent Palms two-bedroom units (also very nice).

Flip a coin, or try some variety.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: somerset vs. regent palms-which is nicer?

We have stayed at both resorts a number of times. I prefer the "vibe" of the Somerset and the beach scene there and the beach service. I also prefer the Somerset beach restaurant Lunasea Pool Bar for lunch. And they make a WAY better margarita!

That being said, I like the rooms at the Palms better. Both the Ocean View and the Ocean Front. I find the rooms at the Palms more luxurious and they are more standard in terms of the decor. The Somerset rooms are decorated depending on the owners. I also find that ocean view at the Palms doesn't feel as far away from the ocean as the Somerset.

Not sure if this helps. I guess it depends on your priorities.

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
8,457 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: somerset vs. regent palms-which is nicer?

Sunscreen

First of all....what will it be like over Easter?.......I think that both resorts might already be sold out.

With that being said.......which is nicer? Tough question.

It is hard to put these two resorts up against each other since they are both top notch.

Here are some of my thoughts......

The Somerset

To me this resort just has "the look". Stunning architecture and a very well thought out design to the property.

Just like the variation of the property with the Estate Homes,Stirling Building and the English Cottages and croquet lawn.

Also like the long lap pool that centers the property and the lovely zero entry infinity pool that centers the property.

What is truly unique about this property is that each suite is individually decorated to the tastes of the individual owners and that all units are not cookie cutter.

Many different price points and a beautiful property.

Very friendly staff and great service.

O'Soleil and LunaSea restaurants on property for meals.

This property just has a relaxing vibe.

Regent Palms

Well groomed property and spotless suites.

Suites are very nicely furnished( uniformally.)

Ocean front, ocean view or garden view are offered.

The lockouts are very nice for the lowest level suites.

Have viewed many of the suites at this property and think the resort is lovely.

Five buildings that frame the central pool and swim up bar/restaurant.

Interesting pool design with an adults hot tub in the front.

Pool loungers and beds that are scattered around the pool offer areas to relax on.

Plunge is their poolside restaurant and Parallel23 their formal one are very nice.

First class spa on property as well as some nice shops around the courtyard(clothes,gourmet goods,art etc.)

Staff seem very friendly and gracious.

Between the pool and beach stretches an adults only boardwalk with loungers facing the beach.

Beach cabanas and loungers for relaxation.

Regent Palms seems to have more buzz to the property and seems a tad bit busier.

Both resorts are my favorites with their own uniqueness on the( IMO) nicest stretch of the beach within a short walking distance to other dining options.

To say which is better....you really can't.

Both are first class but have a different flavor and look to them.

Hope that this helps.

Mike

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: somerset vs. regent palms-which is nicer?

Hey, what my Mike said...agree 100% !!

Blamona thoughts?

virginia
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: somerset vs. regent palms-which is nicer?

thanks for the input. i was wondering why the suites didn't have uniform decor, and the fact that each is individually owned answers that question. however, i am assuming that the resort maintains each suite in the same manner as any hotel does for the rooms-i.e. daily maid service, fresh towels, bath products, turn down service etc.. ( i am fully aware that is not the case when one is placing reservations directly from an owner)..i just want to be sure that this has a "resort" feel with the same amenities vs. renting a condo. i hate the idea that you book your reservations at the hotel, just like you do with any hotel, and you end up getting a suite with less than ideal decor and amenities because you end up with a sub-par unit based on the owners tastes and liinens and so forth, but you are paying a premium cost thinking you will get what you see on the website? since the palms has the same decor throughout, that thought never crossed my mind while staying there. just curious how it all works, i never thought about it before, as far as i was concerned when i began looking into the resorts, it was just that, a resort :-)-thanks so much for all the help with answers in advance, this board is the best.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: somerset vs. regent palms-which is nicer?

Somerset & Regent Palms are both condos thet are individually owned. As you read above Somerset let owners decorate as they wish within reason , the Palms gave no choices to owners. In order for either of these resorts to rent the owners condos certain things must be the same in ALL units...linens, glasses, dishes, cookware, all bath products, beach towels and resort services--you would never know at either place that the condo is owned by someone or the resort / hotel!!

Edited: 28 March 2011, 15:56
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: somerset vs. regent palms-which is nicer?

It's probably a matter of personal taste, but the Somerset units we've seen and stayed in were among, if not the, nicest units on the island.

No need to worry about shag carpet or purple walls. :-)

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: somerset vs. regent palms-which is nicer?

Both are gorgeous and you can't go wrong with either.

I would say Somerset is more gorgeous, a little more laid back and quiet, yet doesn't compromise the luxury. I think the feel is a little more personal, almost like a luxury Country Club.

I would say Palms is more family friendly, service is excellent but comes across as busier.

Again, both are excellent, I'd stay at either in a heartbeat! Since you've already tried the Palms, why not try Somerset? Then you can tell us your impressions!

9. Re: somerset vs. regent palms-which is nicer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 04:17