We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

windy weather

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
windy weather

I have heard from a few people that Turks and Caicos is uncomfortably windy all the time. As all we want to do is laze at the beach, such wind would be a bother. Is the wind an issue?

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: windy weather

Not true at all...they must have been thinking of Aruba !

maryland
Level Contributor
4,788 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: windy weather

OMG, if there wasn't any wind you wouldn't be able to sit on the beach.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
192 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: windy weather

Typically, I'd say it's a lovely breeze, not windy. Having said that, when we were there in November, it was windy enough some days to put a towel on while at the beach and it was a bit too windy a few evenings to go without arm covering. But it was unusual weather then, since the hurricane had just passed by a few days before.

London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: windy weather

Hi,

I love windsurfing so I look forward to windy days and I can tell you the days with strong wind are not often enough! This isn't a windsurfing mecca like Cabarete in the DR or Kos in Greece where the winds are consistent and strong every day.

Grace Bay rarely gets on-shore winds and when it does, it is usually related to a weather system up north so in winter that usually means fresher air, but not cold. When that happens, there are a few beaches on the south side of the island (e.g. taylor bay and south west bluff) that are always calm and protected which you could go to.

Long Bay I would say is the windiest part (and that is usually where kitesurfers are found). The least windy season is the summer.

Hope that helps.

Have a great trip!

Sara

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: windy weather

I love the tradewinds on Aruba...I do hope it's windy..sometimes the sun can be unbearable without it. I would imagine the sun is not as strong on TCI as it is Aruba but I still plan on taking plenty of sunscreen.

Can you tell I'm excited.....reading all the threads.....LOL

Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: windy weather

over the past week the winds would be best described as "tropical breezes" and the sun?........intense!

Western Washington
Level Contributor
35 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: windy weather

We were just there (March 27 - April 3) and didn't experience anything I'd call windy - tropical breezes sounds about right. The weather was spectacular and warm - even at night shorts were fine. I'd read on the forums that some people recommended long sleeves and long pants at night - but that wasn't the case for our trip.

All along Grace Bay there were people comfortably lazing on the beach. And as far as sunscreen - take plenty, the sun is just as intense there as St. Thomas or Grand Cayman and as I recall (was only there one day on a cruise) Aruba.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: windy weather

It sounds like someone came down and it just happened to be a windy week and they thought it was always like that. So it is not and some days just recently we had NO wind and it was soooo hot.

9. Re: windy weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 22:18