We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks???????

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sharks???????

I know I've read posts about nurse sharks...not a problem but somewhere I'm sure I read about someone seeing hammer heads chasing baracudas. I'm not so worried about being on an excursion but to be out and about and snorkeling on our own worries me a little. Are sharks, like hammer heads, something we need to be concerend about? No jokes, please. I already get a little freaked when we see the big barracudas.

I did not realize TCI was not considered a part of the Caribbean Sea but it's more the Atlantic Ocean. I recently read this..is it true? That would make sense as to why there are sharks.

Peachland, Canada
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharks???????

Yes TCI is definitely in the Atlantic.. if you look at a map it's only about 650 miles south east of Miami.

As to the hammerheads I have never heard anyone speak of them but I will leave that answer to someone better informed..... but I have been in close proximity to nurse sharks which seems to be quite common there.

Edited: 21 April 2011, 05:45
Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharks???????

Yes T&C is in the atlantic. Also yes there are sharks, hammerheads I have personally not seen in T&C, but I bet they are there! I've seen them in the bahamas (close enough)! I've been in the water with reef and lemon, nurse sharks. I'm sure others will tell you about some other experiences. Remember YOU are in their world.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharks???????

It would not matter if we were in the Caribbean Sea or the Altantic Ocean. Everything is an ocean and attached.

If someone said they saw a hammerhead it would more than likely have been a scuba diver and not a snorkeling tour.

There are a few larger barricudas at the Bight Reef that come and go. They do not bother anyone since they are mostly there to be cleaned by the cleaner fish.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharks???????

Sharks are found in every ocean/sea in the world. Period.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharks???????

There has been the occasional sighting of a hammerhead by divers (I have never seen one). Besides nurse sharks you may see reef sharks while snorkeling. The reef sharks tend to swim away when they see people - I have never had any troubles with them.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,697 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharks???????

More people get killed by those nasty falling coconuts than by a shark. That is a fact. Just keep that in the back of your mind, and keep an eye out for coconuts ready to pounce.

You'll be fine

Edited: 21 April 2011, 14:31
Providenciales
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharks???????

anytime you go into the water anything can happen

lets not forget the 5/2007 incident

tcweeklynews.com/…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharks???????

I was the one who posted about seing the hammerhead shark this past week. We saw it from the boat between snorkelling destinations. The sight of it did not deter anyone from getting back in the water because we all understood how lucky we truly were to see something so unusual in these waters. Later in the trip, we did see a couple of reef sharks and a nurse shark. I won't say that they are harmless but they definately don't go out of their way to get near you!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharks???????

Have sharks been seen around the "off shore" snorkeling spots at Coral Gardens or the small reef in front of the Atlantic Ocean Beach Villas near Turtle Bay?

I'm a bit nervous too since hearing about the Cancun incidents this year. I realize these areas are far far away but makes you think....

I don't mind venturing into the water with smallish type sharks who are in the far distance but not the "tear off a limb" bigger sharks. lol

I prefer to let the wildlife remain undisturbed...I just don't want to get in their way if you know what I mean:)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharks???????

You've all got to be kidding. Sharks seen in the ocean? When did this start?

No "jokes," but here's my usual response to this question (It often comes up every year the Discover Channel airs "Shark Week") -- If anyone is afraid of sharks, they should probably vacation in the mountains. However, watch out for bears. :-)