We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather not looking so good......

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Weather not looking so good......

We're leaving for T&C (our first trip there and to the Caribbean) in 10 days and so have been keeping track of the weather! It really isn't looking good with rain/thunderstorms forecast everyday.... please, some one with more experience with the place, say something reassuring?!?!

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
132 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather not looking so good......

The forecast has been exactly the same since end of April, and so far, very little rain fell on T&C. Once the "rainy season" starts (which is from May to November), the forecast will always look the same and call for rain and thunderstorms everyday "just in case" there would be a 5 min. shower during the day (which does not happen every day!). Except for hurricane and tropical storm periods (usually Sept, Oct), I wouldn't worry a bit with this kind of forecast. You will see by yourself when you will be there, T&C's climate is desert-tropical like, with lots of sand, cactus, etc. It is obvious that it doesn't rain much on this part of the world!! Cheers!

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather not looking so good......

Rain is better than snow, is that reassuring? This question has been asked and answered thousands of times and I know how you are feeling as on our first trip down a few years ago we were faced with the same type of forecast. The week was hot and sunny for 6 out of the 7 days. Usually in the Caribbean when it rains it's only for a short while and then clears.

Last week my family and I were in St. Maarten and we'd look at the forecast and each day had cloudy with scattered showers. In total we had about an hour of rain in the 7 days we were there.

Don't stress out, go and enjoy cause you can't control the weather.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather not looking so good......

Here's a link to average monthly rainfall:

wheretostay.com/caribbean/turks_and_caicos/g…

Compare it to where you live, then decide who has the "rainy season."

Enjoy.

Edited: 03 June 2011, 19:06
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather not looking so good......

Oops, that didn't work... just scroll down and click "weather."

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather not looking so good......

Thank you all for your reassurances - I'm feeling a whole lot better now and even more excited about our trip!!!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
248 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather not looking so good......

Don't forget that even if it is an overcast day you can still get a bad sunburn so make sure you lather on the sunscreen. I have seen a lot of very red skin this past week...........

Southeastern PA
Level Contributor
438 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather not looking so good......

Yeah, I second what Bushpony says... I got sunburn yesterday in spite of using 70 spf and it being cloudy. (Guessing I didn't apply heavily enough)

It is mostly cloudy since we've gotten here on Tuesday, but we're still having a great time. The rain has been occasional and brief.

Southeastern PA
Level Contributor
438 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather not looking so good......

Ah, out on our balcony now. A beautiful rain shower just started. It really is pretty when it rains here. I love how the water changes color with the rain. (Or, it appears to change color.)

hp
Level Contributor
354 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather not looking so good......

Spoiled previous trips. Weather has generally su----d the past week (again, in comparison to prior experiences) For those that are worried, present weather is not the norm, though the daily forecasts are. It is just unusual the forecasts are accurate for the bulk of the day, like they have been this week. Pay no mind to the forecasts unless there is a major storm in the mix. I am betting weather will be great for your trip.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather not looking so good......

It rains off and on and we really need the rain--sorry folks but we have to get rain once in a while or we will be a dust ball. I love the rain; my cisterns are full, my landscape crews are happy--life is good.