We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sapodilla Bay and Taylor Bay questions

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sapodilla Bay and Taylor Bay questions

This is our first visit to Turks and Caicos so we're not at all familiar with the island. I've seen quite a few people on here mention that its worth it to take ride out to Sapodilla Bay and Taylor Bay to see the water there.

We'll be staying at Ocean Club West and have a rental car. How do we get to Sapodilla and Taylor Bay? Will we need a map? Is it confusing to drive around the island? I'm so worried about getting lost!

This is a dumb question, but when you get there, do you just go for a swim? I'm assuming all the beaches are public, correct? Do you pack up a picnic lunch and have it when you get there? Can we bring beer with us?

Thanks for the help!

Mentioned in this post
Sapodilla Bay
Sapodilla Bay
1,030 Reviews
Providenciales
Taylor Bay Beach
Taylor Bay Beach
1,291 Reviews
Providenciales
Ocean Club West
Ocean Club West
917 Reviews
Providenciales
Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sapodilla Bay and Taylor Bay questions

I have pasted a previous thread with directions to Sapodilla and Taylor Bay below.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147399-i213-k3718…

The island is not difficult to get around and things on the main roads are pretty well marked. Not sure who you're renting the car from but on our first visit we used Grace Bay Car Rentals and Todd met us at the airport with map, asked us where we wanted to go, what we wanted to do and mapped things out for us. I'm sure if you ask, other rental companies will do the same.

The water on both beaches is very shallow and may I suggest buying inflatable floats to just float around and take it all in.

All beaches are public and it would be best to bring a collapsable cooler from home to pack a lunch and bring your favorite beverages, including beer.We stay at Ocean Club West on all our visits and want to let you know you've made a decent choice. Friendly staff, nice pool, bar/restaurant on-site and a nice section of Grace Bay. Enjoy..

Mentioned in this post
Taylor Bay Beach
Taylor Bay Beach
1,291 Reviews
Providenciales
Grace Bay
Grace Bay
6,103 Reviews
Providenciales
Ocean Club West
Ocean Club West
917 Reviews
Providenciales
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sapodilla Bay and Taylor Bay questions

Keater -

Thank you so much for your reassurance on booking Ocean Club West, we are very excited about our stay, I think we're going to be really happy with our choice too. =)

I appreciate your help with Sapodilla and Taylor Bay. We're renting through Grace Bay car rentals so I'll be sure to ask them for help on navigating to these locations. Love the tip on bringing some floats, we'll be sure to do that! I'm already envisioning myself lounging on a float, basking in the sun... ahhh, can't wait!!!

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Club West
Ocean Club West
917 Reviews
Providenciales
Taylor Bay Beach
Taylor Bay Beach
1,291 Reviews
Providenciales
Grace Bay
Grace Bay
6,103 Reviews
Providenciales
Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sapodilla Bay and Taylor Bay questions

Go to Taylor Bay first, you won't want to leave. We though it was one of the best spots on the island and trumps Sapodilla Bay for seclusion, more room, better beach and scenery.

Mentioned in this post
Taylor Bay Beach
Taylor Bay Beach
1,291 Reviews
Providenciales
Sapodilla Bay
Sapodilla Bay
1,030 Reviews
Providenciales
Concord, North...
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sapodilla Bay and Taylor Bay questions

Make sure you climb to the top of Sapodilla Hill ...awesome view of Chaulk Sound, Sapadilla Bay and the Carribean side of the island also some rocks with pirate carvings mixed with more recent ..lol ... not a hard climb but in flip flops can be challenging! on the LEFT before you get to the parking area (sand area where the road opens to the Beach) you'll see a sandy outcove next to the hill ....there is a lone tree at the trail head ....follow the trail to the top ...5 minutes tops!

End your visit to Taylor and Sapadilla with dinner at Las Brisas and you have the makes of a great day!!!

Mentioned in this post
Sapodilla
Sapodilla
297 Reviews
New Providence Island
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Las Brisas Restaurant
Las Brisas Restaurant
1,623 Reviews
Providenciales
Grand Rapids...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sapodilla Bay and Taylor Bay questions

I'm so excited for anyone who is making their first trip to Turks & Caicos - definitely the most beautiful beaches! We have stayed at Ocean Club West at least ten times. It's a great deal for the money! You can walk to so many places via the beach or road. (the grocery store, a variety of restaurants, and small shops) The pool is incredible - the ocean even better! When looking for Sapodilla Bay and Taylor Bay watch carefully for the signs - we've missed them more than once. Enjoy every minute.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Club West
Ocean Club West
917 Reviews
Providenciales
Sapodilla Bay
Sapodilla Bay
1,030 Reviews
Providenciales
Taylor Bay Beach
Taylor Bay Beach
1,291 Reviews
Providenciales
Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,204 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sapodilla Bay and Taylor Bay questions

I just read the directions in the previous post and they are pretty confusing and a little outdated, so hopefully this helps.

Take South Dock Road about 5 miles, and once you pass the Caicos Oil gas station on your left start looking for Chalk Sound Dr on your right. There is a police station on the corner.

For Sapodilla Bay, almost as soon as you make the turn is a small dirt road on the left that goes along the fence for the new children's home. Drive straight back and you will come to the beach.

From the turn onto Chalk Sound Drive for Taylor Bay, go about a mile to Ocean Point Drive on your left. There is a small sign for Ocean Point on the ground. Go back to just before where the road turns to concrete and the small Ocean Point sign and there is a small parking area on your right for maybe four cars. There are some boulders blocking the path. Walk down the path and the beach is at the end.

Edited: 12 June 2011, 23:36
Mentioned in this post
Chalk Sound
Chalk Sound
1,187 Reviews
Providenciales
Sapodilla Bay
Sapodilla Bay
1,030 Reviews
Providenciales
Taylor Bay Beach
Taylor Bay Beach
1,291 Reviews
Providenciales
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,795 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sapodilla Bay and Taylor Bay questions

I agree with joes directions and I didn't even read them. We need this as a sticky on top right after the weather sticky

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sapodilla Bay and Taylor Bay questions

Thank you SO much for the updated directions. I'll be printing out all these helpful posts and bringing them with me on vacation. All the other travelers will be so jealous of all the knowledge TA has given me!

9. Re: Sapodilla Bay and Taylor Bay questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 03:15