We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gansevoort... bad reviews??

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
417 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Gansevoort... bad reviews??

After a year of planning, we're heading to Turks for our first time July 16th and couldn't be more excited!

I got TONS of good advice from the boards before booking our trip, and we ended up going with a 1-bedroom at Gansevoort. The hotel looks gorgeous, clean and modern.

I'm in that pre-vacation mode where I'm reading TripAdvisor boards every day as a way to get through the work weeks. I've also been checking the Gansevoort reviews pretty obsessively and, for some weird reason, the past 5 reviews have been terrible! Previous to these, most of the reviews were glowing.

I'm starting to worry that we'll be paying $600/night for a place that's a big disappointment. Any advice? Anyone want to offer some good Gansevoort feedback to ease our nerves?

Shelton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
294 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gansevoort... bad reviews??

That is funny.... We are staying at villa Renaissance and the last few reviews have not been good either! I think we take it with a grain of salt and hope the majority of reviews a correct that we have chosen good hotels! Let's hope!

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gansevoort... bad reviews??

emilie....

Personally, we do not give much weight to reviews.....

My favorite resort (The Somerset) ranked in the 20's sometimes gets terrible reviews.....what ever....

I personally know the resort and the staff from many stays so I disregard them.

Also Regent Palms has been getting some lack luster reviews and we always visit this property and think it is also very special.

So when we split our late Summer stay at these 2 resorts....we will have a great time and are NOT afraid of the reviews.

What I am saying...is MOST of YOUR stay and happiness will be determined by you.

If you have some small issues...handle them and DO NOT let them shadow your vacation.

You deserve a great vacation and I think you will have it.

Hey.....my glass is half full and not half empty.....

you get what I am sayin?

Mike

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,236 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gansevoort... bad reviews??

Every property has bad reviews, if you want to look for them you'll find them. Not just in T&C, but everywhere.

Economics rule #1: you can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

Many factors can go into a bad review:

some may be true

some may have had a bad weather week, which affects their impression

some may be high maintenance

some may like to get something for nothing and complain to get it (free upgrades, free dinners, extras etc)

unless it's something real (for example, a bug in my soup and here's a picture of it) the rest is subjective.

There is not a bad place to stay in Provo (and I've stayed at majority of properties and viewed the rest)

Gansevoort is gorgeous.

New York City
Level Contributor
148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gansevoort... bad reviews??

Emilie, We're at Grace Bay Club and heading down 2 weeks from today. I, like you, am checking TA with an obsessive nature just to pass the days/weeks until I've got my feet in the sand. And, like you, the reviews for GBC haven't been stellar the past couple times I've checked. I think there's always one bad apple in the bunch, and that one bad apple is the vocal person who can color our perception and make us question our decision.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,743 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gansevoort... bad reviews??

So I took the liberty to read those last reviews (1 hour commute – got nothing better to do) and here are the main issues…

Location – being at the far end. But you already knew that I hope.

Hotel food – You shouldn’t eat there anyway every day. Plenty of other options.

Concierge issues – no biggie. You can always call yourself.

Happy hour miscommunication – Hate when it happens ;)

One review had a check in adventure where they didn’t get their luggage soon enough. I must say this would drive me nuts as well sitting there when you arrive waiting for the luggage (normally hungry at this time) and thats why I’m more comfortable taking the luggage with me anyway. Is it really that difficult taking it to the room yourself?

Another reviewer had to fight for chairs at the pool – this is probably the most alarming although I would look for other reviews mentioning the same. It could have been just a busy few days.

Anyway, its mostly various service issues that I wouldn’t put too much weight on. The fact that it’s the last 5 reviews is probably coincidental. Its all about what is important to you. If its error free amazing service you looking for I doubt you will find it anywhere on the island. For me personally the main issue would be the location, but it’s a modern beautiful resort and I suspect you will have a great time.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
417 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gansevoort... bad reviews??

Thanks, all. This is great advice and helps me put this bad reviews in perspective!

Can't wait. Leaving one month from today!

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
2,622 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gansevoort... bad reviews??

The Gansevoort is a lovely property and I think it has the best location since you can snorkel to the right and to the left of the resort. The beach is spectacular there as well. Have fun!

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Gansevoort... bad reviews??

Gansevoort is number 2 on TCI tripadvisor hotels.Competitive place to be. I'm just saying.

9. Re: Gansevoort... bad reviews??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 10:21