We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our first and last stay at Northwest Point Resort

Madison, Connecticut
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Our first and last stay at Northwest Point Resort

There is a reason why this is one of the cheapest places to stay on the island. When we arrived at the resort we were given what must have been the smallest suite on the property. The bedroom was so small that we couldn't even close the door to the room. The bed was in the way. The bathroom was dingy and the shower and toilet looked like they hadn't been cleaned for quite some time. You could actually see the ring of grime in the toilet bowl. There were bugs all over the mirror. The kitchen still had crumbs in it from the last people that stayed there. We were provided one wash cloth and two towels. These were to last us for 3 days. We voiced our concerns and were given another room. The second room was better. This room had two wash cloths and two towels. I understand that they are trying to be "green" and conserve water but it just seems like they are skimping on their guests. The beach was covered in seaweed and there was no way we could snorkel off the beach. The restaurant is not open from 8am to 8pm. Any time we went in there it was empty. We were forced to drive to another hotel on the other side of the island for every meal. The housekeeping was very inconsistent. Some days we'd go in and the bed was made. Some days it wasn't. Not once did they vacuum the floor and this is a very sandy island. On the fifth night we discovered that there were other guests staying in the room. There was a rat on top of the kitchen cabinets. When my husband looked above the cabinets the drywall was completely chewed up. The rats must have been living there for quite some time. The next day we asked to check out early. We could not stay there another night with rats in the room. Turns out other rooms were having the same problem. They did refund our money for 2 nights. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We trusted all the good reviews on Tripadvisor. We shouldn't have.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our first and last stay at Northwest Point Resort

Thanks for posting this...we drove out there years ago to take a look, no thanks ...it is NOT Grace Bay. Where did you move to?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,596 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our first and last stay at Northwest Point Resort

A rat - oh my! Thanks for your posting your experience and I hope you enjoyed your final two nights elsewhere.

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our first and last stay at Northwest Point Resort

Again....if you would have posted a question about staying at Northwest Point....I'm sure that people would have tried to suggest another location.

Reviews......we've been over that recently.

Next time....Grace Bay for sure.

Mike

Edited: 23 June 2011, 00:53
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Our first and last stay at Northwest Point Resort

IMO, there are two resorts in Providenciales that fall into either the "love it" or "hate it" catagories -- Northwest Point and Beaches. Not many neutral opinions for either.

Having been "burned" by the TripAdvisor hotel "review" section on a couple of occasions, we never, ever use it to choose accommodations. Sorry, but it's infested by rental property owners and resort marketing departments posting bogus reviews, IMO.

On the other hand, the interactive TripAdvisor forums have proven to be a great source of information for our own travels. Bogus posts are quickly called out by those who know.

Thanks for the report.

Edited: 23 June 2011, 01:17
Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Our first and last stay at Northwest Point Resort

Manager Response to Trip Advisor review

On behalf of Northwest Point Resort, I’d like to thank all of our past guests who take the time to post reviews and comments, both positive and critical. We read each and every one, and incorporate many of your comments in our daily operations as we strive to provide the best guest experience possible.

Occasionally, a review is posted that we feel deserves a direct response. This one is no exception, as we believe it’s in the best interest of the readers to understand the complete story.

Pests are a common nuisance in the tropics, and we take every measure possible to keep them away. Like most hotels and resorts in the tropics, we encourage all our guests not to leave food out on counters, especially overnight. We ask them to keep doors and patio screen doors closed, especially on ground floor units, as it can attract not only pests but rodents. Northwest Point provides daily garbage removal to further eliminate the risk of attracting pests and rodents.

In this particular case, we found no evidence of a rodent in the unit, no droppings and no odor one would expect if a rodent was living in this unit for some time as indicated by the reviewer. The drywall was not chewed up as stated, there were no teeth marks and no scratch marks to indicate a rodent came thru. However, there was evidence of some poor installation of the drywall, likely when the property was built. The gaps in the drywall where it met the top of the cabinets was quickly repaired, and we appreciate the guest bringing this to our attention.

Prior to arrival, the front desk attendant with her housekeeping check list confirmed the room was ready for arrival. On arrival the guests were shown to the 1 bdrm pool/garden view unit they booked, 563 sq ft as advertised and on our web site complete with pictures. The front desk attendant informed the guests of our housekeeping services and that based on their 6 night stay, they would receive a full cleaning including linens and towels on the third night and daily garbage removal on the other days. The front desk attendant then returned to the office and shortly thereafter received a call from the male guest who asked if we had a larger room as they felt their unit was just too small for their liking. This was the only concern he voiced, and nothing about the other issues the reviewer commented on regarding crumbs, bugs, and a dirty bathroom. They were given the option of a slightly bigger unit, 750 sq ft, also on the ground floor facing a vacant lot, or Island view.

As the guests were shown to the unit by the front desk attendant, our housekeeper was in the unit briefly making sure it was ready for arrival. The front desk attendant left after the guests stated they were pleased with the new room they were offered and thanked the front desk attendant for her efforts to accommodate them. Meanwhile, the housekeeper overheard the female guest suggest that she didn’t care for the location of the resort, and wished the male guest had never booked it.

On the second day the housekeeper went to the unit to remove any garbage in the unit and also made up the bed. She also felt obliged to provide further housekeeping services by sweeping and cleaning up large amounts of sand likely brought in by the beach towels which were thrown on the floor. After calling me to the room, she showed me the wet and sandy towels and it was obvious they would need to be exchanged due to the condition of them and the sand swept up from the floor.

On the third day, the housekeeper went to the room to provide the scheduled full clean service and was greeted by the female guest who then informed the housekeeper they did not require any service only an exchange of towels.

On the fourth day the front desk attendant was told by the guests they had a rat in their unit overnight and that they would like to check out early. We agreed not to charge them their final two nights.

During their stay the occupancy of the resort was quite low and the restaurant hours were shortened as explained to the guests at check in.

During the month of April and into parts of May the north side of the Island experienced several days of large amounts of sea grass washed up on the shores, including Grace Bay beach. Our resort is known to have more days of sea grass washed up than Grace Bay, no question, but we have a tractor that rakes it up daily to remove it. On the days it is excessive it is out of our control much the same as it is in Grace Bay.

Northwest Point Resort is making every effort to conserve our fragile Island environment by recycling and minimizing the amount of exchanges of clean towels and linens as many other major North American hotels and resorts are doing today. Our staff works very hard to ensure our guests a pleasant and enjoyable stay.

Again, we greatly appreciate all the comments and reviews of our past guests. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, comments or concerns. We look forward to serving you.

Mike Hryniuk

Resort Manager

Northwest Point Resort

649-331-8962

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Our first and last stay at Northwest Point Resort

Thanks for your response mike. Like the saying goes, there's always two sides to the story.

Glad you clarified for future guests!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Our first and last stay at Northwest Point Resort

Wow, what a great response... I'm blown away! :-)

Mike, thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail. It's obvious that you and your staff are totally focused on your guests and guest services.

:-)

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our first and last stay at Northwest Point Resort

This was a very thoughful response to the poster's concerns.

I'm glad I'm not in this business.

I guess we should keep an open mind about the resort.

Just curious why such a defect in the drywall would have been overlooked for such a long time and could be "mistaken" as rodent damage?

Anyway....that's why there are many different resorts in many locations that appeal to various travelers.

Mike

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our first and last stay at Northwest Point Resort

I feel if there is no restaurant available way out there it should be told up front at reservation time not upon check in. I would never stay out there...IMO

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Our first and last stay at Northwest Point Resort

Thank you to the last 3 posters for your comments and support.

TCI Mike, yes, it is a very challenging industry to say the least, and I have found guest expectations have increased two fold in the last few years which makes it all the more challenging. I always keep it in the back of my mind, and remind my staff as well, that like myself when I go on holidays, guests have saved and worked very hard to go on a holiday, some their first vacation and we always have to be cognizant of this, and more importantly they choose our resort for a reason. We need to live up to their expectations and if at all possible, exceed them. Growing up a mentor once told me that too many owners/managers try to complicate their places, be it restaurants, resorts or hotels with lots of bells and whistles, when really all that matters is guest service. We have an older resort and have to work much harder than those in Grace Bay with the newer resorts in remaining competitive.

In reply to your comment TCI Mike, the old drywall damage is above the kitchen cabinets, an out of the way area to notice. We have learned from this issue to check this area, and other areas more closely and to repair if necessary. Thank you all again for your comments. Best regards, Mike

Get answers to your questions about Providenciales