We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lionfish

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, New York
Level Contributor
409 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Lionfish

Lionfish are invading the T&C at an alarming pace!! You should not be able to see 3 lionfish in one snorkel at Coral Gardens. I haven't seen any signage or educational material on island or on the websites. What is the deal with these islands? Do they not care as long as the money keeps coming in? Other islands take this problem VERY seriously, as they should, but it seems T&C turns a blind eye...

stjohnsource.com/content/news/local-news/201…

Providenciales
Level Contributor
248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Lionfish

Good grief!!!! I am shocked that you would think that the Dept of Environment is not concerned about the lionfish. It is a huge issue here, and one that they take VERY seriously for example....

icriforum.org/sites/…20Caicos.pdf

current.com/items/90029540_lionfish-public-s…

tcweeklynews.com/lionfish-born-in-the-wrong-…

It is a tremendous problem, and one that currently has no solution To say that the people and Government of the Turks and Caicos of turning a blind eye is, to be blunt, insulting.

Amsterdam, New York
Level Contributor
409 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lionfish

The truth can be insulting....I had several conversations with people that were snorkeling. Some did not know what a lionfish was, most didn't know it was dangerous and threatening. I have seen no mention in (tourist) literature and no signs posted. I haven't heard of any tagging or recovering. You couldn't spend three days in St. John without knowing what the fish looked like, how to report it and it's potential impact on our coral reefs and fish population.

It's a statement - mine - and I stand by it. Really though, three lionfish in the most popular shore snorkeling destination on Provo...need I say more?

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lionfish

Hey CaribQueen - I guess the Lion fish did not see the signs say to stay away from reef @ Coral Gardens.

Just because you haven't heard anything about tagging (whatever that would result in) or recovering doesn't mean that it is not taken seriously. I haven't heard anything about pushy New Yorkers lately, but I know they are plentiful.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
368 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lionfish

Ouch. No pushy New Jerseyans though:)

I've seen these before while snorkeling and diving and didn't even realize they were poisonous. Pretty clueless. I just checked wikipedia and see they are a big problem all over. They can reproduce monthly and many areas are encouraging killing and eating the fish to minimize their effect on the reefs.

You learn something new every day.

Edited: 04 July 2011, 17:20
Chicago
Level Contributor
672 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lionfish

that public announcement video is hilarious! they should be broadcasting that on the flight there or at the airport...

i dont remember seeing any lion fish on our previous two trips...will be on the lookout this time.

Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lionfish

NYQueen.....I don't think T&C are turning a blind eye, and I do know they would love to eradicate all the lionfish. There also has been a discussion on this forum about catch and eat lionfish.

And what do you mean about them being threatening? Are you talking about yourself or other fish.

I've seen many lionfish over many years, but this past march saw none!

What was the reason for your post?

I was in St. Croix in feb and the dive master shot approx.10 on a dive.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lionfish

IMO there needs to be more snorkeling "education" in general as most "vacation snorkelers" could not tell the difference between a lionfish and a goldfish or the difference between a coral head and a dead head. I took hours of classroom work, exams, pool work and open water dives before i received my divers license. A little education to the "vacation snorkeler" reguarding ettiquette, do and don'ts around the reef would go along way to help maintain the reefs and our sanity. There is a 6 page article in the JAN/FEB issue of WhereWhenHow magazine (reprinted from Dive Training) titled "Killers on the Loose" which outlines the Lionfish problem throught Flordia, Bahamas and the Caribbean. Worth a read..... if for the education only.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lionfish

Many of us that visit T&C know about the invasive lionfish, know what they look like and also know the problem is taken seriously. Dive Provo has a program to catch them. Chefs have experimented with cooking them. While diving in Salt Cay, they caught them while we were on the dive.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lionfish

I saw signs at Dive stores along Grace Bay road saying if you see a lionfish in the area to notify them. So, yes, locals are worried and they're doing something about it

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lionfish

"Pushy New Yorkers?"

When did this start? LOL