We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 2 report

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
417 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Day 2 report

It's the end of our second full day on Provo and it's official: TCI has replaced our previous favorite beach vacation spot (Rosemary Beach, FL).

Today was another perfect beach day. Woke up, showered, studied some directions and headed to Las Brisas for lunch. Ziggy's directions got us there easily--thanks!

I wasn't sure what to expect with LB, but--like with everything here--we were blown away. When we first started to see glimpses of Chalk Sound, we literally gasped. There is no way to describe the color without others thinking you're exaggerating. It is literally neon turquoise. One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Las Brisas was great. The food was delicious--it's not all about the view. That said, it was the best view I've ever had during any meal. And the coconut rum cake made it even better.

By the way, I need to take this opportunity to say something: I've read lots of complaints about service in the TCI (at both the Gansevoort and elsewhere) and I just don't get it. These have been the kindest, most genuine people. Everyone has been anxious to please. It's better than the hospitality in a lot of vacation spots we've visited. We've been nothing but impressed.

Back to our day...

Next, we went to Taylor Bay. Again, we found it with the helpful directions. Walked through the path and felt like we were going to some secret garden. Then, you see it: BLUE!

TB was beautiful. There were like 5 other couples there and we felt safe the whole time. Played around in the water, walked out a good bit, but didn't stay very long. There's no shade and no chairs. So, while we are glad to have seen it, we were happy to head back to our cushy shaded beach beds at Gansevoort.

On our way out we decided to drive around and try to find the villa we're renting in January--yes we are already coming back--with my parents. After 10 minutes or so, we found Villa Osprey and, although we did drive up to the house, we resisted the urge to snoop too much. It's in a lovely neighborhood! However, I can't help but wonder if we will miss Grace Bay, the beach, snorkeling at Bight and easy access to all the wonderful restaurants.

Came back to hotel (which we still love, btw) and spent a little time drinking frozen things on our beach lounger. Then, headed down to Bight for our 2nd snorkel session. Had tons of fun--it's addictive! Still a little scared to be far out by ourselves, so we just follow people around. Saw a lot of colorful fish. Still no sharks, turtles or rays. Maybe tomorrow!

More beach time. A swim in the pool. A shower. And then we headed back to Coral Gardens for a casual dinner at Somewhere. We got a seat upstairs on the balcony and had a full view of the ocean at sunset. I got choked up thinking about our view at lunch and our wonderful dinner and how this really is paradise. Best fish tacos ever, too.

Exploring the busier side of GB tomorrow. Haven't been in any shops, so we will see what's that's about. Hoping to play with some Potcake pups! Dinner at Magnolia. Low-key beach day.

More soon...

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
417 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 2 report

PS-- What's worth checking out at Salt Mills and Ports of Call?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 2 report

LOL, we visited Rosemary Beach last month. Normally, we visit the TCI during June or July, then Florida's "Emerald Coast" during August. Long story short, our vacation plans were turned upside-down, so we're visiting the TCI in August this year.

Glad you're having such a wonderful time. Yes, Chalk Sound will take your breath away, and the gazebo view is awesome. :-)

I have a closet-full of great TCI t-shirts I purchased at the Caicos Adventures store -- now located at Regent Village, across the road from Salt Mills. Other than that, we're not much for shopping.

Edited: 19 July 2011, 03:27
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 2 report

I have a silly question that I haven't heard discussed on here yet. Can you touch the bottom all the way around Bight Reef? If not, do people rent life jackets or just swim all the way around. I'm sure I won't have any trouble in the salt water, but it worries me a little to be out in deep water with no floatation device. And I will for sure we staying away from those dark scary drop offs. :) Can't stand no knowing what is under me!

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 2 report

Chalk Sound on a sunny mid day is an amazing sight! We stay over on Taylor Bay sometimes and don't miss the "hustle and bustle" of Grace Bay at all. We eat in quite a bit and settle in very well. Sunsets out that way in January are awesome!

We liked the new Flavors of The Turks and Caicos store in Regent Village. Lots of Bambarra Rum products, and I got a cool Turks Head hat.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 2 report

Really enjoying your trip reports! You are a very good writer that gives good information plus you get me so excited for our trip in October....keep um coming! Thanks!

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 2 report

Loved day 2 report and am so happy that you understand our additions.....

Mike

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
628 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 2 report

Thanks for day 2 details!!!!! Glad you are enjoying!!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 2 report

Thanks for your wonderful posts.....I feel like I'm there with you!

Make sure you check out Mama's when shopping.....she's a hoot!

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
894 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 2 report

There aren't any drop offs at Bight Beach and the water is 20-40 feet and you can see everything on the bottom. It's very clear. If you stay closer to the beach there are some fish there as well, but the bigger grouper and fish are 30-40 yards out. You should be fine, enjoy your snorkeling!

Level Contributor
2,040 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 2 report

Kayjay there are scuba belts you can buy if you are not confident. They just wrap around the waist and clip on. Keeps your hands free. You can go as shallow or deep as you want. Bight Reef is a fairly large area and there is plenty of room in all depths. I even saw some folks usuing swim noodles. Whatever works. DH said my "floataion devices" keep me afloat.