We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim Cards?

Manasquan, NJ
Level Contributor
825 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Sim Cards?

I have an unlocked cell phone that I normally take to Aruba. I get a SIM card at the Airport from a company called Digicell. Does Turks and Caicos have something similar? I'll be traveling without my husband or children so I would like to be able check in each day.

Thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim Cards?

Yes, you can buy Digicel, LIME or IslandCom SIM card and use it in your unlocked phone.

We usually buy them at the Leeward IGA plaza, Digicel store is to the left of the IGA (if facing IGA) and IslandCom store is across from it.

We find IslandCom per min rates are better than Digicel for local calls. Overseas calls seem to be the same.

Manasquan, NJ
Level Contributor
825 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim Cards?

This is great news. Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim Cards?

Personally, I get the best coverage from LIME. They are located at the entrance to IGA. Another great thing about them is that once you have their SIM, you can add minutes to it online and you don't have to worry about it when you get there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
590 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim Cards?

What are the going per/minute rates? OCW is offering a cell for the week at $0.69/minute anywhere in the world. Is LIME comparable?

Beverly...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sim Cards?

Much cheaper. I believe it is $.30 for calls to other LIME phones on island and $.40 everywhere else.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sim Cards?

And one other thing. When I had Digicel, my minutes and phone number would expire from non-use within six months. With LIME they are good for two years so every time I go back I still have my unused minutes as well as the same number (which comes in handy because people you know there have programmed it into their phones).

Canada
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sim Cards?

Just FYI, all 3 mobile service providers have an online top up option and the phone # stays with you even after you leave the island. All incoming calls and texts are free. The expiration of the remaining minutes may be different but you'll have to find out from them, I couldn't find that information on their websites.

Here're some details:

LIME - time4lime.com/tc/…plans_prepaid.jsp Has .30c/min if calling another LIME subscriber; .40c/min everywhere else.

IslandCom - http://www.islandcom.tc/prepaid.php Has .25c/min if calling another IslandCom, .30c/min other local calls, .25c/min calls to US/Canada and some other countries

Digicel - digiceltci.com/en/plans/digiflex/flex_tariffs Has .33c/min to other Digicel mobiles, .39c/min all other local calls and .44c/min the rest of the world.

Good luck making your choice.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
590 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sim Cards?

This is great, thank you all for the details!

Providenciales
Level Contributor
248 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sim Cards?

Islandcom to Islandcom is free.

10. Re: Sim Cards?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 20:18