We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

january weather - snorkeling

usa
Level Contributor
125 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
january weather - snorkeling

looking at providenciales in mid january but was concerned about reports of cool weather and storms that affected sea visibility

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: january weather - snorkeling

No one can predict those things. Daytime temp is around 80. Water temp will be around 75. The only thing that I could say is that if the waves are coming from the north from a pushing storm it is worse during a full moon.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,436 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: january weather - snorkeling

We have been on island many times late January and into February.

Water is fine for swimming with the ocean and the pools.

Water clarity has been good and we love this time to go.

It helps us get through the winter and is a nice break.

It is quietier than school breaks and it is great for us.

Looking forward to another jan-Feb trip....and will split our next stay AGAIN between my two favs (The Somerset and Regent Palms).

Two different vibes......but ALL so good......i'm just sayin..........

Mike

Level Contributor
2,040 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: january weather - snorkeling

Sure beats January in Ohio any way you look at it! I would take T & C any day.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: january weather - snorkeling

I did a search of the historical temperatures in January on Wunderground before I decided which island I wanted to visit. While I want to go to T&C, I have decided to make that an April or May trip. There have been times when the high temp for the day has been in the low 70's in January and Feb. While that is certainly better than it would be at home, I am not going to the caribbean in the winter and paying high season prices unless I am guaranteed at least 80 degrees. I do know people who have visited T&C in the winter and had days that were too cool for the beach because of the wind and temperature.

Edited: 13 October 2011, 02:23
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: january weather - snorkeling

Please let us know where you've been "guaranteed at least 80 degrees," and by who. Of course, January is summer in Australia, so that might be a good bet.

We've visited the TCI, Virgin Islands, and Cayman Islands all during the second week of January (MLKB holiday). Had perfect weather in the TCI, perfect and cool weather in the Virgin Islands, and it poured rain in the Caymans.

What does that mean for the original poster? Absolutely nothing. No one can predict the weather, and no one can "guarantee 80 degrees" and clear skies, anywhere.

Best advice: Google average temps / rainfall, and make your best guess.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 13 October 2011, 04:13
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: january weather - snorkeling

The original poster asked if it might be too cool in January. I know several people who have had that experience in T&C ( and the Bahamas btw). I looked up the history of temperatures in various islands and it seems to me that Aruba, Barbados, Antigua to name a few are much less likely to have cool weather. That's all I was suggesting.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,465 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: january weather - snorkeling

Still the luck of the draw.

I have been to Provo the let 12 January's. Only 1 year it was low 70s for 1 week. Funny thing about that week, it poured rain on MOST other islands for the week. How do I know this? I have a friend that shoots video for Victoria Secret photo shoots. (I know, tough job). They needed sun for the photos, and tried St. Barth, Barbados, etc. Hd to fly to Provo. Actually ended up being. Record for private jets ever in the world.

Next January there were 3 major photo shoots. Target, J Crew and VS.

I've been to Cancun in January, Caymans, Anguilla. I was cold there, followed by some warmer days.

What's my point? I'd be worth a fortune if I could get the weather right for travelers. Weathermen don't get it right in the States. Really between Provo and some more southern islands is about a 5 degree difference on average. It might be hotter on southern islands but it might also be rainy.

Weather happens. It's your money. If you're going to stress about it, go south.

Chicago
Level Contributor
674 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: january weather - snorkeling

No one can predict the weather but there are historical stats you can look at. Thank you genio67 for doing the research. It clearly shows there's more chance the weather will be cooler during Jan. If OP is already worried, she should plan a trip later in the year. While she may get the perfect weather, there's a higher chance she will not.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: january weather - snorkeling

I just booked for the last week in January (first time trip to TCI, very much looking forward to it!) After booking, my boyfriend said, "is it even warm enough for the beach down there in January?" He was thinking that he had been to FL before in January and it wasn't really beach weather.

I was so nervous and started second guessing our decision... then I remembered (1) I live in New England and swim in the chilly waters off of Maine regularly in the summer, so water temp of 75 will be practically bathwater; and (2) my last trip to the caribbean was a cruise in April, a couple of years back. We went to all of the "hot" southern caribbean islands (Aruba, Dominica, Curacao, etc.) and it rained the whole. freakin. trip. I was miserable and felt bad because it was my boyfriend's first trip to the caribbean and I had be sooooo sure that the weather would be great (ha ha). I swear the same rain cloud followed our ship around. But the lesson was: even the "good" months and "warmer" islands can have a week of bad weather. It's the luck of the draw when you are planning these trips several months ahead.

That being said - - I'm no longer worried about booking TCI in January; everyone's comments here have made me feel better and I think it will be great.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: january weather - snorkeling

I work on the beach right by the Bight Reef. I can say that I have never had a day that no one was on the beach due to it being too cold. There has been a few days that the wind picked up so sand was flying around so most people did not want to be on the beach for too long. But that "few days" have been over 8yrs of my being here.

anyone have a coin so we can flip it and find out what the weather is going to be?