We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good spot for a long run by Beaches resort?

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
374 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Good spot for a long run by Beaches resort?

I'm training for a marathon and will need to do about 13 miles one day while we're at Beaches. Any suggestions for a good place to run? Can I just head out on to the main road and go? Is it safe (traffic-wise) to run on that road? I'd love to hear from anyone who's done a long run and has advice for me. Thanks!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good spot for a long run by Beaches resort?

Run on the beach. That's what most do

Peachland, Canada
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Good spot for a long run by Beaches resort?

You can run for over 12 miles so that should do just fine!!

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
628 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good spot for a long run by Beaches resort?

My friend who is a marathon runner also ran on the beach.

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
374 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good spot for a long run by Beaches resort?

Is hard-packed enough? 13 miles in soft sand sounds beautiful, but painful!

West Coast
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good spot for a long run by Beaches resort?

If you don't want to run on the beach, you can run on the sidewalk along Lower Bight Road to Turtle Cove to the west (or Leeward to the east) and back. The main road (Leeward Hwy) has no sidewalks and would not be a good place to run.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Good spot for a long run by Beaches resort?

Stay close to the water and it will be hard enough to run on. i see people do it every day when I am there...laying on the beach drinking beer.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
397 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good spot for a long run by Beaches resort?

six marathons and one ironman a few yeras ago. so i know a little about training you can run on the road out and back. imo the sand is not good for long running . i know some people might say i see people running all the time . yea ,but for how far. the soft sand might do more damage than good. you are staying at beaches . so i am sure the have a good gym { i don"t know} . what i would do is run on the treadmill.start out with a five min warm up , than run at 1 % to 3-4 %incline for 20 min or so. than play with the speeds run 5-8 min repetes increase your speed .3- .5 each time and than 2 min easy . do that 5 times than start over. get up early and drink water . if you want to pm feel free and do so. if it is your first marathon i might help you with a few things..

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good spot for a long run by Beaches resort?

bum, good one

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Good spot for a long run by Beaches resort?

Agree with jack1962.

If you're a serious hard surface runner, the soft sand can strain muscles and possibly cause stress fractures that you never imagined before.

Be safe.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Good spot for a long run by Beaches resort?

IMO...it's vacation. Recline, turn on some tunes and throw a few back. The road will still be there missing you when you get back...I promise. ;-)