We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My trip of a lifetime trip report!

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
585 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
My trip of a lifetime trip report!

Hi Everyone,

Yes it's true, we are both hooked like many of you have been over the years. I have only been back since this past Sunday and already dreaming of the day we can visit again. We stayed at OCW 10/31-11/6 and my review of the resort should be approved today I would imagine as I posted it yesterday so I won't go in details about OCW in this report.

Grace Bay Beach

Truly the best beach I have ever been to. We spent countless hours just sunbathing and doing a lot of nothing, staring endlessly at the beauty of this natural wonder. We were there at a time where the surf was rough and tide was high but even with this environmental issue, it did not phase us one bit other than the fact that we couldn't get in the snorkelling that we wanted to. That's ok though because we will be back!

We spent about $150.00 on groceries for the week. We only dined out for dinner twice and lunch once. The other times we cooked for ourselves which I love to do so it wasn't bothersome to me even though we were on vacation. Two other days we had daypasses to Beaches and Club Med which will be reviewed in a bit.

Taylor Bay/Chalk Sound

Absolutely a must see. We somehow missed Sapodilla Bay but that was the day last Wednesday when the 3 hour downpour came. We managed to lounge at Taylor Bay before the rain and it was so calm and shallow as far as the eye could see.

Tiki Hut - Wednesday night special

This was amazing! It was not hard to find with the map we brought from the airport. The ribs were amazing, chicken a bit salty for my taste but delicious nevertheless. The fresh veggies were great and was also served the best garlic mashed potatoes I've had in awhile. Service was also great. I highly recommend this to anyone!

Mango Reef

I can't stop talking about this place. We went specifically to dine here based on TA recommendations and to watch Nada sing. The food and service were bar none.

Between the 2 of us we ordered the conch fritters, escargot, caesar salad, lobster pasta, 2 coffees and a coke. With tax and tip came to just under $100.00 but worth every penny. Our french waiter (forgot his name sorry!) was kind enough to even order us a taxi for our ride home which was great. We used Island Taxi and that was a nice experience.

Seaside Cafe @ OCW

We dined here for lunch one day and just had the burger and a caesar salad and both were great! Our last night, we decided to stay on property and have dinner and this also was wonderful. We ordered one lobster tail dinner, a lobster risotto, 2 non-alcoholic daiquiri's and the bill was about $78.00 including tax plus tip.

Grace Bay Car Rental

We specifically wanted a car from this company not only because of the continuous support from fellow TA reviewers but to have the experience of driving on the left with the steering wheel on the right. Yes, I did put on the wipers a few times instead of the signal! It didn't take long for my brain to adjust and then it was smooth sailing. The gentleman who delivered our vehicle was very pleasant and it was an easy transaction.

Caicos Dream Tour

Although we had planned to go with Captain Bill on the Ocean Adventure cruise, unfortunately Bill couldn't get his boat out on the water last week so we had to make some adjustments to our tour schedule. We then wanted to take the Eco tour with Big Blue but they couldn't confirm whether or not they would actually be heading out until the morning of the afternoon tour. Since we had limited time, we opted to go with a confirmed tour with Caicos Dream Tours and glad we did. Unfortunately because of the swells in the water, we couldn't snorkel where we were supposed to. It was nice to be on a boat to visit a few places but not sure why we didn't make it to Iguana Island. We did end up snorkelling in one area but again the current was so strong, it was a real effort to swim back to the boat. They also prepared for us the conch salad which was great.

Day at Beaches

We were lucky enough to have 2 comp day passes to Beaches to enjoy the facilities for the day. I also participated in a 1.5 hour resort tour and viewed 1 room type in each village. We spent our morning in the French Village and then the majority of the day on the beach. I found the Beaches beach itself to be very narrow compared to other beachfront areas. Combined with the high tide, it was a bit dissapointing as the water came right up to the beach chairs and the surf claiming towels into the ocean that I was running after! The resort itself is massive and definitely caters to families and children. In terms of the all-inclusive option and service, it's top notch. However, I still personally prefer a small resort atmosphere (like OCW).

Club Med Day Pass

We walked down the beach from OCW to Club Med and also had the opportunity to experience the resort. As a hotel reviewer myself, I really believe this resort needs a complete renovation as it seems pretty dated especially compared to the newer hotels in the area. Breakfast although vast in selection was mediocre. Lunch was a poolside bbq which was very good. This resort is definitely more for the social butterfly who is looking to be entertained and to meet people. The lobby check-in agents all seemed to be fairly young, early 20's but all appeared to be bilingual. There weren't a lot of umbrella's on the beach for shade. You could request some at the towel area but personally, I don't want to have to carry an umbrella from the lobby area all the way to the beach in that heat. Also, there was no area near the beach where you could leave your used towels which to me seemed to be an inconvenience to traveller's who are already paying top dollar to stay at this all-inclusive hotel.

After visiting 2 all-inclusive hotels on the island, I still much rather prefer staying in a condo-style type accommodation.

I would like to thank everyone's personal experiences and posts that helped us plan this trip. We are already planning our next trip in the new year.

The link below is only a snapshot of our trip but please do enjoy the scenery!

www.kodakgallery.ca/ViewSlideshow.action…

We can't wait to go back!!

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My trip of a lifetime trip report!

Glad you enjoyed the visit...thanks so much for all the details in the report as well as the link to the pics!!!!

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My trip of a lifetime trip report!

So glad you loved Provo like we did! Can't wait to read your review of OCW. Thanks for the great pics too!

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My trip of a lifetime trip report!

Nice trip report and shared information.

Now....would you be returning? lol

Mike

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My trip of a lifetime trip report!

Beachbleach, thank you for sharing...loved reading your report & all the details! We hope to do a little bit of snorkeling when we're then in 2 weeks so hopefully the water's calmed down by then. But like you said, just another reason to come back! :)

Thanks again for sharing!

Peachland, Canada
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: My trip of a lifetime trip report!

Yup..you're definitely hooked !! Thanks for the great trip report !!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My trip of a lifetime trip report!

Nice trip report and thanks for the photo fix. Glad to hear you had a wonderful trip.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My trip of a lifetime trip report!

Thanks for sharing. Glad you enjoyed your time in paradise!

Mango Reef is one of our favorite restaurants, the food is always so good there.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My trip of a lifetime trip report!

Thanks for doing the write up and posting pictures! Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My trip of a lifetime trip report!

Wow, what a great, detailed report.

Hey, we're ALL "hotel reviewers" here. :-)

Palmdale, California
Level Contributor
450 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My trip of a lifetime trip report!

Thank you so much for the report and pics, it is impossible to ever grow tired of looking at that beautiful water and beach.